BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Feds investigating gas leaks.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bandera 
#1 ·
Detroit News article.

Checking the NHTSA site NHSTA website reveals this. Under QUICK SEARCH, type PE12036 in the NHTSA Action Number box and click Search. The resulting page gives a summary. At the bottom of that page click on Document Search to open another window with documents related to the investigation.

Oddly, when I checked, no K bikes were shown at all, just the R bikes. :confused:

My K1200GT cracked early on doing the metal quick-disconnect thing to the tank-side (Not recommended!) and I did the epoxy & clamp fix since mine soaked the fiberglass mat (which came debonded from the bottom of the tank and stained the left side of the black engine a yellowish color from fuel spraying out there as well.). I see BeemerBoneyard sells a clamp to address those brittle cracking fittings now (Cost to replace is the entire pump unit at $500 or so). I suspect the gas/ethanol is washing out the plasticizers and making them very brittle and prone to cracking.

Mack

#2 ·
I noticed that as well (no mention of K bikes in the recall.) I have been noticing a fuel smell after stopping (nothing visible though, yet.) From what read the most common fuel leak problem with the K seems to be related to the quick-disconnects vs. the mounting boss cracking (unless the user has installed metal quick-disconnects, which seems to be a very easy way to induce the boss-cracking problem.) But then again AFAIK the fuel pump on the K is essentially the same part as on the R so I would think it should be subject to the same problem.

I'm wondering... how many K owners (who have not installed metal fittings) have had boss-cracking problems? Is it as common as on the R bikes?

#3 ·
Well I don't know how common it is, but mine cracked in 4 places and started leaking. As luck would have it I was several months and many miles outside of the BMW warranty period. I was going to use my extended warranty to cover the replacement cost, but BMW stepped in and replaced it under goodwill.

#5 ·
Seth - mine started as an on and off fuel smell. I found the leak by pulling the tank back while shining a flashlight down between the tank and the air box.. It was a tiny mist of a leak.

If I were you, I'd renew the quick disconnect o rings and see if the fuel smell persists. If it does you'll need to save up for a fuel pump assembly. Fun, eh?

By the way, the bike is in for ball joints--upper and lower failed.

Still, I do love this bike. Must be a nut.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.