RAIN and more rain - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 6:31 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

RAIN and more rain

Anyone have any rain stories? Sitting looking out the window right now... watching more waves of Houston-style rain pass through. That means a light English rain one minute, about 5 teasing minutes of sun and then a torrential Texas downpour. There goes the weekend...

So, any rain stories?

2007 K1200R Sport w/ Leo Vince EvoII titanium slip-on. They say that moving sucks. I rather like it, when it's on my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Rain We don't Tan We Rust

SEATTLE, WA Can't say anymore. Rains every weekend from 15 May till 15 Sept. Summer doesn't start till 5 July. But when the Sun is out, we have the best roads in the West.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2007, 11:26 pm

We're setting new records up here for rain. Saw some sun for a few brief moments about an hour ago. Otherwise changes from a light drizzle to bouncing off the pavement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingedwards
Anyone have any rain stories? Sitting looking out the window right now... watching more waves of Houston-style rain pass through. That means a light English rain one minute, about 5 teasing minutes of sun and then a torrential Texas downpour. There goes the weekend...

So, any rain stories?
Six years ago, I picked up a rental H-D in Bozeman, MT under threatening skies and a temperature of 41. By the time we got to West Yellowstone for a fuel stop, we'd ridden through a little snow and sleet but mostly rain. I was filling the fuel tank when a gentleman, refueling a minivan, looked at me and the rain and said, "I'll bet you like to trade with me right now, wouldn't you?" I looked inside the van (which was rocking a bit) and saw the thing was packed with bugger-eaters . . . must have been six kids, at least, in there plus an unhappy-looking wife. I said, "Let me ask you: Has every day of your marriage been like your honeymoon?" He kind of frowned and said, "Uh, I get it."

That's my only good rain story.

Mike
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:57 am
Addict

Same rain story here. We had 4 inches last week and over 15 inches for the month of April. As dry and hot as it was last year, I'm happy to see it. However, I'm retired , so I can ride anytime.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:04 pm
I'm riding

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec
Six years ago, I picked up a rental H-D in Bozeman, MT under threatening skies and a temperature of 41. By the time we got to West Yellowstone for a fuel stop, we'd ridden through a little snow and sleet but mostly rain. I was filling the fuel tank when a gentleman, refueling a minivan, looked at me and the rain and said, "I'll bet you like to trade with me right now, wouldn't you?" I looked inside the van (which was rocking a bit) and saw the thing was packed with bugger-eaters . . . must have been six kids, at least, in there plus an unhappy-looking wife. I said, "Let me ask you: Has every day of your marriage been like your honeymoon?" He kind of frowned and said, "Uh, I get it."

That's my only good rain story.

Mike
Mike,

Did you try to publish your stories?
I like reading them.
You have the feeling of words.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2007, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Mike,

Did you try to publish your stories?
I like reading them.
You have the feeling of words.
Thanks for the compliment, Vladimir. No, I don't publish anything but you're not the first to ask that. Heck, I've just lived a long time and thoroughly enjoy people, both meeting and observing them. You can learn a great deal.

Thanks, again,

Mike
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2007, 5:29 pm
Veteran

Just dress for it and ride ride ride.......nothing more relaxing than riding in the rain....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2007, 7:07 pm

Was playing cricket with my son at the local high school this evening when, you guessed it, it rained and then the thunderstorm from hell!

Thunder ,lightning, heavy heavy rain........

Then 2 hours later I am dropping him off at his girlfriends house and notice the local water authority have got the road dug up due to a busted water pipe?

I only live in a small village in the wilds of Bedforshire UK.

I do not like riding in heavy rain.

Several years ago I went to the Isle of man TT, the year Hislop won on the Norton, 92? I spent ages polishing my GSXR 1100, it was gleaming and the day we rode to Heysham for the ferry some 250 miles it was the heaviest rain I think I have ever ridden in. you name it, it got wet, my hands were cold and all colours of the rainbow due to the dye running in the gloves, my water proofs leaked, my leathers leaked and then had a wet arse for at least 200 miles
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2007, 9:01 pm
Strafist

I wrote this about my 2000LT. Had it about 2 months at that point. My first BMW after 27 years of Harley. Was actually wearing a helmet!!!

Hells Not Fire, It's Water

Rode up to Dallas Thursday, September 8th, the back way up 281 instead of IH35 to avoid congestion. Nice cool day, great riding weather, a little drizzle with a chance, ok a real probability of nasty storms. Man, was that an understatement. It turned loose in buckets that made that little adventure last summer with a broken clutch handle, fresh oil and rock road and driving storm seem like a walk in the park. It rained so hard that the water was coming in my Schubert! Through the face shield joints and closing joints. I had invested in a Belstaff rainsuit for about 100 bones, it worked great and I'm real happy with it as it kept me dry, except the water was collecting in the chin of the helmet and then running down my neck and chest. Seeings how it was around 50 degrees it got a little airish. I was on a county road (FM 220) about that time and there was absolutely no place to stop as each side of the road was a veritable raging river and I mean a raging white water river, it was washing out cross roads in great chunks and stuff was screaming down the crests, veritable suicide to step into it. I was expecting kayaks any second. I was riding the crown of the road (off the stripe, natch) and hoping there weren't any low water crossings, thoughts of getting stuck on that road between low water crossings with a river on each side wasn't fun. On top of that there was panicked critters stuck on the road doing weird little dances and rushes back and forth, with little jumps and wild eyes. I've read (while moving my lips) Hough's book on Proficient Moto Riding and it saved my butt looking for color changes in the road, mud washing across and flowing water. To make matters more fun, 18- wheelers were flying down that road from the opposite direction, and passing, throwing more water to the deluge. I didn't think it could get much worse till the wind kicked in, didn't think it could get much worse till it started hailing, which in my experience of Texas weather, precludes some nasties like tornadoes. I didn't think it could get much worse till the stereo died. Nada, zip, drowned, the LED read no radio and Aerosmith's Train kept a rolling all night long derailed. Thoughts of tearing her down to replace the radio nagged the back of my brain while the predominant thoughts of survival were in the front. I expected the bike to drown next and had thoughts of gutting her and crawling up inside the body cavity to survive danced thru the twisted cortex. It was simply unbelievable and I was relishing in the pure hell all that water was creating. I grew up on a ranch in Texas and have never witnessed that much water come down at one time. You couldn't see 5 feet in front of you. I eventually pushed one side of the face shield out (the Schuberts do that!) to allow the water to run freely across the shield trying to improve visibility or to hasten my demise by drowning, not quite sure. I do know that starting a fire was out of the question and I doubt that even gasoline would have burned if a spark would’ve survived.

Well, finally made it to civilization and coffee and donned the Widder vest and rode into Dallas rush hour traffic in the pouring rain. I was riding the close to the edge of the road trying to see around traffic so's I could react and idjits were actually passing me and riding right next to me. One old boy thought it was cute to slam on his brakes in front of me and I actually bruised an important part of the anatomy playing that game till I tired of it all, threw all caution aside and rode like hell into stopped traffic on IH20.... and I do mean stopped. With a little go for over an hour. I tell you that motel in Mesquite looked like a palace. Watching the weather channel I saw where I rode in and kept up with a nice purple, not red, but purple patch on doppler.

Barbara beemer ran great thru it all, the radio came back to life the next morning. I'm thinking it might have some kind of survival switch that shuts it off when it drowns? Anybody know or had this happen? Well, it was a beaut morn and we were preparing to go on a nice ride into the country with some friends when my stanking cell phone goes off, had to leave barbara in our son's garage, fly to the valley, rode home with one of our investigors, fly back to Dallas and ride Barbara home. sheeeeeeeesh. IH 35 was a madhouse, I reckon spring breakers, finally got tired of all the kids, once again threw caution to the wind and fell in with traffic moving between 80 to 90 mph, cutting in and out with all the sports cars, pickups and the such. Needless to say made it home real quick. One good thang, gots to ride over 700 miles and can't wait to do it again. You know, I was a little concerned that Barbara would start the next day, Sandy's words: "She's a beemer, don't worry about it" the truth be spoken. I don't know how one of my Harley's would have done.
grif

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode