Ohio-Albuquerque-Colorado-Ohio - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
View Poll Results: Who should pay for the repair ?
Local dealer pay 4 40.00%
Extended warranty pay 3 30.00%
Local dealer and Extended warranty split 2 20.00%
BMW even though off warranty for 4.5 months 0 0%
Me 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Ohio-Albuquerque-Colorado-Ohio

Trip from Ohio to Albuquerque, through Colorado and back to Ohio.

I just completed a grand ride (3848 miles of mostly fun) with lots of great sights and roads. At least 3000 miles of it were non interstate, but still to many of the non-interstate roads were still slabs. All and all I guess 2000 miles of the ride was non slab.

My favorite roads were :

Missouri 160 between Doniphan and West Plan, 14, 76 and 86.

Colorado 550 Durango to Ridgway, 62, 141, 65, 133, 131, 40 and 34.

Now for the good luck and bad luck. As I was leaving Albuquerque on I25 early one morning, the GT lost all power. As bad luck would have it I was in the far left lane, but was able to get to the right lane and an exit. But my good luck did not stop there, a man riding by on his bicycle stopped to see if he could help. You see he worked at the local BMW shop and was on his way to work three blocks away. I said yes. He returned a half hour latter with a truck and trailer to hall my GT to the shop (I hate to see motor cycles on trailers, especially mine).

Well this was just the beginning of the good service I got at the Sandia BMW shop. Because I was a traveler, they work me in quickly and within an hour said that I had a fuel problem and that it could be a fuel pump and offered to shuttle me to my daughters house in town because it would take a while to finish the repairs. I called my daughter instead to have her pick me up.

It took most of the day to finish the diagnostics and repair. It turns out that the fuel pump had not failed but that a fuel line had come off the fuel filter inside the fuel take. They put the hose back on with a new hose clamp and reassembled the GT. Except for paying the bill I was on my way. You know BMW is not cheap.

Now here is where I want some opinions. My local dealer replaced by fuel filter at the 24,000 mile service and the GT only had 31,437 miles on it when the hose came off. I also have an extended warranty. Who do you think should pay for the $480 repair.

When I think of all the roads I was on, the hose could not have come off at a better place other than my garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 9:41 am
Will ride for picts

Great roads and amazing luck to break down where you did. Some of those roads you listed are remote.

If you have an extended warranty, then it should be covered. The fuel hose coming off the filter wasn't caused by a wear item wearing out.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:11 am
Addict

Seems to me an appraisal by the mechanic at the shop in ABQ would be important here. If the hose clamp wasn't fully squeezed down then the problem was obviously a result of work performed by whomever replaced the fuel filter previously.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by williagw
Now here is where I want some opinions. My local dealer replaced by fuel filter at the 24,000 mile service and the GT only had 31,437 miles on it when the hose came off. I also have an extended warranty. Who do you think should pay for the $480 repair.

When I think of all the roads I was on, the hose could not have come off at a better place other than my garage.
I really think your best bet is to contact your extended warranty company and make a claim. Our opinions are worth exactly zero. I would also ask my dealer since I would have the expectation that the hose would never just come loose even though you put over 7,000 miles on since the service. Poll results will do nothing to sway anyone's decision.

Bill

'07 K1200GT Dark Graphite
'07 F650GS Bright Red
'01 H-D FXDWG Red and Black
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 2:24 pm
Looking for better limits...

If you got the extended warranty through the dealer that did the 24k service, I'd ask them to tell you the best course of action. It's under 36k/3 year, it's still under the BMW warranty period, but your dealer can make the best call. No way should you be asked to foot the bill.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

I am going to my local dealer today, bought GT there, extended warranty there, and got 24K service there.

I just wanted other opinions before I meet with them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2007, 3:09 pm
Noob

What local dealer do you have in Dayton Ohio? I travel to Columbus or Louisville and they are both a hump from Northern KY. Let me know. Please
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2007, 7:18 am Thread Starter

The dealer is a Columbus/Hilliard dealer (Honda Northwest BMW Suzuki Yamaha). I stop in twice and talked to the service manager and called him once. He gave me the run around and said he would look into it and get back to me. Well, he never contacted me. I got busy and dropped the follow up ball, I guess I should get a meeting with the store manager next. Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:55 am
Looking for better limits...

Phone in a complaint to BMWNA. Will it do any good? Probably not, but then again, they may contact the dealer just to check. After the call, THEN call the store manager and tell him you are still waiting for a call back, but it seems that the service dept. has forgotten your number, and you'd appreciate them following up to completion.

I'd also consider a different dealer for service.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode