Riding Kings Canyon National Park in California--pictures - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Riding Kings Canyon National Park in California--pictures

I rode Kings Canyon National Park in Central California to the end of hwy 180 today. This is my back yard. It's much less traveled than Yosemite to the North but is equally amazing in it's own way. Like Yosemite it's a valley carved by glaciers surrounded by high towering mountains, but makes a better motorcycle destination in my opinion. Far less cars and higher quality roads make for sightseeing at speed . Picture Yosemite with smooth roads and no cars. The best part is if you get to the park gate before it opens at 7 AM you don't have to pay .

The Park is home for Giant Sequoia groves, unique in all the world. These are trees that have been around since the Roman Empire in some cases. Any Goldwing riders remember those days?

Just South is Sequoia National Park which is also amazing with good roads and stunning views. Again if you get there early or on a weekday, you will have the roads mostly to yourself. If you get up there be sure to take a few minutes and climb Moro rock-- the panoramic scenery will take your breath away.

Headed back down into the steaming hot Central Valley I tried out my new cooling vest. Full of water and worn under my airflow3 mesh gear, it kept me noticeably cooler. I will definitely use this during the summers.

View of Kings Canyon from Hume Lake Road.

So beautiful.

The original skyscraper...

These roads were made for the GT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2007, 2:22 pm

eye... that is a nice ride... it is amazing out there...

we have taken the 180 all the way to the end once... want to do it again... its is really nice back there and once we left the big trees there was no traffic...

we stopped for gas at the old kings canyon lodge that had a glass top foot pump operated gas pump... our camera was dead by then... wish i had a photo of that place...

this is our heap taken were our camera died... boyden cave...

this is video i found that someone posted of the the old gas pumps at the lodge...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90736721&q=%22

this shows the location of the old lodge...

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisi.../parkRoads.pdf

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2007, 7:39 pm
Veteran

Damn nice pics!!! I'm envious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:52 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesurgeon
... but makes a better motorcycle destination in my opinion. Far less cars and higher quality roads make for sightseeing at speed . Picture Yosemite with smooth roads and no cars....
Haven't done Kings Canyon, but I can't agree more on your assessment of Yosemite. Ebetts, Sonora and Monitor passes are all better motorcycle roads than Tioga pass.

This is what you get at Yosemite:

Plus, they have zero tolerance on speeding in the park due to some bears that were killed by speeding automobiles.

There are better ways to ride in Yosemite:

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:35 pm
Veteran

The "Feather River Scenic Byway" (Hwy. 70 ) is another cool 130 mile long ride. The train, tunnels, and bridges along the Feather River are really neat.

Supposedly it is open year round since it's in a canyon, but I'd worry about ice and sand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode