Moto-Camping in Yosemite National Park - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:55 pm Thread Starter
Will ride for picts

Moto-Camping in Yosemite National Park

Edit: Full pics at: http://rhhall.smugmug.com/gallery/3154072

After riding many of the Sierra passes, including Ebetts, Sonora, Carson, Monitor, Donner, and Luther, I decided to set my sights on Highway 120: Tioga Pass. This pass leads you into Yosemite National Park, which I have never visited. Fortunately, a group of us at work planned a camping trip to Yosemite on July 12-14th. I took advantage of this opportunity to visit the Park on my K1200GT.

The ride from Minden to Lee Vining was surreal because of the fires:

Moto-camping with my friend on his TL1000S.

Entering Bridgeport, with the Sierra in the distance:

Heading for the park entrance on Tioga Pass. The large number of LEO's on this road kept things at speed limit pace:

As we approach the park entrance, we encounter a line of cars waiting to get in. This is definitely not like the other passes; their are too many cars and LEO's to really enjoy the road. So we switch to tourist mode.

Tuolenme Meados is amazingly beautiful. We stop for a hike with the rest of the car-driving contingent of our group.

After our short hike, we proceed to the campground, passing by Tenaya Lake:

We also stop at Ohlmsted's Point for more pictures before proceeding down toward Yosemite Valley. More photo op's present themselves as we approach the Valley:

After a quick tour of the valley, we head for Hodgson Meadows and make camp:

The next day, we head back down to the valley to do more exploration on our "bikes." Chris looks hard on his cruiser:

With all the traffic, the best type of two-wheeled riding is done with bettles and not throttles. We bike up to Mirror Lake, and take another short hike. Then its on to Yosemite Falls...

... where we climb the boulder field to get to the pool at the bottom of the falls.

After playing at the falls, its time to get the bikes turned back in. So we cruise to the village, and just happen to catch the evening sun setting on Half-Dome:

The next morning is time for another hike. It's hot, so, although we are usually ATGATT folks, we decide posing in fashionable motorcycle gear would be the "cool" thing to do:

We head for the trailhead and take a hike up to Lake Elizabeth, where some of us take a dip in the cold waters.

After returning from the lake, it's time to head home. It was an uneventful ride north on Highway 395 to Minden and Carson City. All in all, an excellent time at a relaxed pace.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com

Last edited by rhhall; Jul 30th, 2007 at 1:13 pm. Reason: added link to full ride report
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:42 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhall
This is definitely not like the other passes; their are too many cars and LEO's to really enjoy the road. So we switch to tourist mode.
Odd, but the times I've been on 120 through the park proper I have rarely seen any LEOs. I remember seeing one park ranger once, doing speed trap duty somewhere below Olmstead Point, and one CHP cruiser ascending the grade below Ellery Lake.

What would suck with heavy police coverage is that since the max speed anywhere in the park is 45 mph, the journey from one end to the other will take a while.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:28 pm Thread Starter
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
Odd, but the times I've been on 120 through the park proper I have rarely seen any LEOs. I remember seeing one park ranger once, doing speed trap duty somewhere below Olmstead Point, and one CHP cruiser ascending the grade below Ellery Lake.

What would suck with heavy police coverage is that since the max speed anywhere in the park is 45 mph, the journey from one end to the other will take a while.

There have been several bear fatalities due to speeding cars, thus the heavy law enforcement. And yes, it did take some time to cover that distance.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:09 pm
Veteran

Great pics!!! Brought back memories for me.... Amber and I got married in Yosemite..

Thx for posting...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 12:29 pm
I'm riding

Smile

Great pics and place! Interesting nature there! Not usual for us here.

And you did a lot of things during just two days!

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2007, 12:27 am

You take your chances speeding or passing over the double yellow in the park.

I got "caught" in the form of being lit up and a finger wagging--the ranger could not easily
turn aorund. I took his hint

I think 120 (Tioga Pass) not only has slow cars but stupid driver tricks and speeding isn't
always the prudent thing to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode