on the road - Scandanavia - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

on the road - Scandanavia

G'day Folks,

Currently charging my batteries at a hotel with wireless internet in Inari, northern Finland. Departed Newcastle, UK for Stavanger, Norway on August 5th.

Ordinary (read rain) weather in the south motivated me to travel north ASAP. First real dry roads I found were a few hours south of Alesund, and it's been dry traveling 95% of the time since (rain/drizzle often at night). Since then I've met and traveled with 5 bikers - all europeans, camping mostly.

My k1200rs beast is doing great - it's very new to me (10 weeks), and I'd only ridden 280miles on it before catching the ferry. I've put 2.8k miles on it so far on this journey (North Cape 2 days ago) and hope to be on the road for another 8 weeks or so.

I'll post more as time permits, and my photo web site behaves....

When they fix the photo hosting site problems - pics can be seen here:
http://www.pbase.com/adrianox
(and click on the first picture)

Cheers, Adrian

adrianox

'98 KRS

some pics: http://www.pbase.com/adrianox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2007, 7:12 pm
Looking for better limits...

By all means, keep us posted. 280 miles and off you went, huh?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 11:51 am
I'm riding

Hi,

What kind of weather did you have on NordCap?
And what wil be your route? I was not to far from you - maybe 1500 km to the South-East past week-end.
Enjoy your ride and keep us unformed!

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2007, 4:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

Weather at North Cape was

excellent, albeit windy.

Here's some pics:

The ride out was much easier with the wind on our tails.

I'm currently in Savonlinna, Finland - after heading thru central Sweden on route 45, then to the High Coast, Hudiksvall, and then Uppsala with friends.

Had a wonderful breakfast ride this am. on 434, and part of 435 - seems like it's made for riders/rally drivers ;-)

471 (north from Savonlinna) this pm. i hope, if/when the weather breaks.

adrianox

'98 KRS

Last edited by adrianox; Sep 6th, 2007 at 5:03 am.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 5:14 pm
Enthusiast

Nice photos! Thanks for sharing.

2007 K1200R Sport w/ Leo Vince EvoII titanium slip-on. They say that moving sucks. I rather like it, when it's on my bike.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2007, 10:06 am
Veteran

Hey, what's the status on the trip..?

I'm from the southern Finland myself, but lived in Sweden (Borlange, Dalarna) for 6 years, I know a few nice roads there, so if you haven't passed those routes yet, let me know and I might be able to give you some tips.

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
K1200R - Yellow/Black - Crashed 2008-09-01. I'm an eedjit.
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2007, 1:10 pm
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker

I'm from the southern Finland myself, but lived in Sweden (Borlange, Dalarna) for 6 years, I know a few nice roads there, so if you haven't passed those routes yet, let me know and I might be able to give you some tips.
Hi,

I am thinking about riding through Finland/Sweden on the way to Norway next year.
Is it possible to avoid a ferry? And is it worth riding instead of taking ferry? I mean the roads and fines.

TIA

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2007, 1:24 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Hi,

I am thinking about riding through Finland/Sweden on the way to Norway next year.
Is it possible to avoid a ferry? And is it worth riding instead of taking ferry? I mean the roads and fines.

TIA
Hi,

Yes, you can ride all the way from Moscow to Norway. But you have to go far up north, to Tornio or further north if you want to ride more. http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...55078&z=8&om=1
The roads should be fine, but I don't know about fines... In Finland you pay your fines based on your previous tax-year, and that goes for foreigners too (so if you're about to be fined, they'll ask what your previous years income was - small lies might work in your favour here but don't overdo it).
In Norway they're incredibly anal about speeding, so be careful there. In Sweden I was able to do a pretty good speed the last time I was there, but things might have changed. I'm sure more local guys can give you better advice.

The ferries between Finland and Sweden are lovely too, so it might be worth going the land-route one way, and take the ferry the other way.

Hope that's of any help

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
K1200R - Yellow/Black - Crashed 2008-09-01. I'm an eedjit.
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2007, 4:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

Almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker

Thanks heaps, but I was in the Baltics after Finland, and now the last days in Norway before ferry back to the UK ;-(

Yesterday was just the most magic day yet - Superb Autumn colours, cloudless skies, excellent roads with little traffic - you have got to love it when it all comes together.

Here's a pic from Lysebotn - Anyone Home?

adrianox

'98 KRS

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2007, 9:16 am
Enthusiast

Wow,

Great ride and Great pics! I envy your ride and wish to do something similar. I periodically get over to Stockholm and would love to take some time and rent a bike.

From a picture point of view what camera are you using. I have so many problems with photography they cant be numbered. At least starting where I'm the only way is up.

Thanks again for the great tour!

Paul

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode