Music In the Mountains - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2007, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Music In the Mountains

On Saturday, Slaniac, Kevin and I took off on a short jaunt around the Sierras before heading over to Nevada City for the Music In The Mountains/Sierra Brew Fest and a few hours tasting beer while listening to music.

Slaniac gettin' all geared up for Saturday's ride...

My first stop was about a mile down the road to take this view. I'd tell you where but I haven't been able to read the data from my GPS.

We rode Hwy 40 on our way to Truckee and a quick splash of gas for the remainder of the ride.

Along the way, we crossed the tracks a few times. Here we waited for a freighter to pass.

The area was the home to hydraulic mining and this lake is a by product of the activity. In hydraulic mining, a water canon gets pointed at the area to be mined and the water turned on. The resulting material is then sifted through looking for gold. It's a pretty destructive process.

The lake was formed when debris clogged the drainage and for the most part, it's a permanent water feature now.

We rode Hwy 40 to Soda Springs where we stopped for breakfast at the Rainbow Lodge.

$10 for breaky. Not bad. Included some tasty muffins too.

Slaniac took a quick smoke break. I guess the glasses thing isn't working out too well :lol3

From Rainbow, Donner Lake is just a short ride over the old highway. If you haven't and you're in the neighborhood, you should take a ride over the historic bridge and have a look at the lake as well as the old snow sheds used to protect the railroad tracks.

Looking back from whence we came...

After a refueling stop, we headed over to Hwy 89 and on toward Sierraville.
Lots of history on the side of the road.

We hit a lot of roads and I think this was off the Gold Lake Hwy. The Sierra Buttes. Maybe Slaniac or Kevin could chime in here?

We stopped along the way at a place called the Buckhorn. It was definitely vintage.

Maybe this is how the place got its name :lol3

Some really cool little joints along the road.

All too soon, we arrived in Nevada City after a great day of riding with two fine friends. Thanks for a great ride Chris & Kevin!

Oh, and then it was time for a couple of beers.

The first thing we noticed was the band didn't suck and there was a great crowd.

The food was pretty good. Here's Hurty gettin' in line.

I met some cool new people...

Got to check out someone's new ride...

Enjoyed the camp experience...

Had a great time catching up with Hurty...

More beers...

All too soon, it was time to head home.

As a little side note, I was trying to get past a car when I ran over a rock. Small
one at that but it bent the rim. Might be the $725 road trip :wtf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode