The Tour of Three Volcanoes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2007, 2:21 am Thread Starter
Rookie

The Tour of Three Volcanoes

Hello all,

This past weekend I finally had the opportunity to do some weekend camping and put to the test beyond a day ride a MotoFizz seat bag, and a Ztechnik touring windshield. I loaded the bike with all my camping belongings on Thursday night and commuted to work on Friday and headed to Mount Rainier after work. The plan was to make it to camp Ike Kinswa (155 miles)for the first night and Camp Cougar (just past Logmire) inside Mount Rainier national park. At Camp Cougar on Saturday I spent most of the day hiking some of nearby trails.

Next morning (Sunday), I packed up and headed to Paradise; I had planned to ride on 123 north to the eastern side of the mountain towards Sunrise, but the road at Ohnapecosh is still closed due to extreme washouts from last winter severe floods. After a brief stop at Paradise and Reflection Lakes I headed south towards Mount St Helens National Volcanic Monument. My wife and I had been to Mt St Helens years ago to the Johnson Ridge observatory, but I had never visited the southern edge of the volcano.

The ride south was pleasant with mild 70s temps, but once I started to climb towards St Helens the weather turned hot, very windy, and the pace was much slower since the road was litter with rock debris every couple of 100 yards. Had a quick stop at the end of the road at Windy Ridge; the view was spectacular with clear skies.

By this time itís almost 1pm and I still had one more volcano to visit, Mount Hood I headed south on highway 503 towards highway 14 east to Cascade Locks along the Columbia Gorge. Once at Hood River I had a quick snack, gas and kept going, because by then itís almost 4pm. At exactly 6pm I pulled in to the parking lot of Timberline Lodge for the last set of pictures, I actually had only one picture left on the disposable camera and the spare camera was deep in the seat bag.

All and all (786 miles later) the touring windshield and seat bag worked fantastic and canít wait for the next longer ride. Lessons learned; pack and repack a week before the ride and figure out all of the various tide downs and where best to position your items inside and outside. From camping experience I used stuff sacks for everything; this makes it easy to pull stuff in and out.

Also, as the ride progresses check the load position, towards the end (heading home) the bag felt as it was pushing me a bit too much toward the tank, it felt as if I had an undisciplined pillion. And most important with heavy loads, make your kickstand is fully engaged before you start to lift your right leg.

I was so careful all weekend to make sure I placed the bike in the most stabled place for photo ops, but had the misfortune of the bike pulling me over. I failed to fully engage the kickstand and once the bike was past 10 deg it was too late for me to hold it. This was towards the end of a long ride. The results were minor scratches to the left mirror, shift lever, and rear peg; thank goodness for crash pads, and shoulder pads; still bit sore today so I drove to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Second camp at Camp Cougar Mt Rainier.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	6193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt Rainier- Paradise- parking lot.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	6194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflection lakes  SE of Mt Rainier.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	6195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt St Helens at Windy Ridge.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	6196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt Hood at Timberline.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	6197  

Click image for larger version

Name:	camsite B19.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	6198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping ride Three Volcaneos Sept 8-9-2007.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	6199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt St Helens at view point.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	6200   Click image for larger version

Name:	At Fred Meyer's for film pick.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	6201  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode