Urban Touring - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2007, 1:22 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Urban Touring

I was tempted to post this in the KR forum, but I think the experience transcends "Hooligans."

Last night I had the pleasure of a brisk November ride down I-895 through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. It was just a quick ride to the rock climbing gym, no epic journey, but what a great time! Have you ever ridden in an underwater tube?

The orange glow of the High-Pressure Sodium lights and the yellow-tinted shooting glasses that I was wearing, and the growl of my K12R (baffle out) amplified by the acoustics of the tunnel made for an amazing and surreal experience. (It reminded me a little of the K12R "Respect" video.)

Call me a hooligan, but there's something to be said for touring the urban landscape on a naked bike - especially at night. Underfoot, the textures of asphalt, concrete, brick, c(Ah!)bblestones, and rumble-strips are ever-evolving. And all around, the integrated geometry of buildings, bridges, lights, and motion create a technological atmosphere that is like nothing else.

We are the Hooligans. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own.
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

2007K1200R: Remus CF Silencer, Metzler Sportec M3s, Tidy Tail, Motorad Navigator III, Autocom, Valentine 1 w/ Pirate's Lair Stealth Mount, Laser Interceptor, Evo Dual Race Filters, Sandbar CF Bellypan, LED Indicators/Brake Light, San Jose BMW Frame Sliders, and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2007, 10:05 am
TXS
Rookie

Totaly agree on the night driving. Unfortuanately I am also scared to death by the crappy drivers in the DC/BAL metro area. I hit up the tunnel by accident a couple months ago. Good thing I had some cash. Then I had a nice ride through north Baltimore(ghetto). Most of the time I just head out for a day ride NW of Colmbia, then back over near Odenton for some sushi. Nice areas over there. I have never seen another KR on the rode in over 1 year of riding though.
Anyways, have fun with the winter riding. And pray for no ice of snow.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2007, 11:15 pm
Enthusiast

Dig the Houston night scene as well but I'm a bit cautious as I always know the roads and only go on the ones that are well lit. I'm just not one of those guys who shows up at the coffee shop, inviting the occasional rider to hang with him at 150+ on the beltway or loop and showing off the scuffings on the sides of his shoes when he touches down in a corner. The thought of the wrong object at the wrong time in the blur of the landscape annihilates any temptation to join in the night games.

Otherwise, yes, like to cat around at night in the big city and stumble onto a few strips where everyone is checking out the rides. Anonymity creeps out, windows roll down and the blast of the K-bike buzzing by seems to get a chuckle. Favorite moment: a very hot blond in a very hot Mustang pulled up on the main drag, Westheimer, and raced her engine at the red light. Light goes green, I blow her to smithereens and never look back, fearful of the long reach of my wife's Persian knife.

2007 K1200R Sport w/ Leo Vince EvoII titanium slip-on. They say that moving sucks. I rather like it, when it's on my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 12:40 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktex
I hit up the tunnel by accident a couple months ago. Good thing I had some cash..
Funny that you brought up the toll! With my riding gloves on and my jacket sleeves zipped down over them, getting at my money is a difficult process. I have to stop, unzip my sleeves and take off my gloves before I can access my pocket, wallet and billfold. All the while, I'm holding up a line of traffic. So I decided to blow the toll in the EZ Pass lane! Woo hoo!

No harm done though; a buzzer went off, the camera snapped a shot of my license plate, and they sent me a bill for $2. A word of caution: blow the toll multiple times and you will get fined.

So what's your strategy for easy access to $2 with riding gloves on? Tank bag? Rubber band? Actually stop and get your wallet out like a good and decent person?

Thanks KingE for the words of wisdom about staying alive - both as a rider and as a husband! I wonder if knives are a Persian and Mexican thing, or if we just have sadistic wives.

2007K1200R: Remus CF Silencer, Metzler Sportec M3s, Tidy Tail, Motorad Navigator III, Autocom, Valentine 1 w/ Pirate's Lair Stealth Mount, Laser Interceptor, Evo Dual Race Filters, Sandbar CF Bellypan, LED Indicators/Brake Light, San Jose BMW Frame Sliders, and...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 5:17 pm
TXS
Rookie

I hear you on the problem of getting the money. Funny thing though. I could probably just run the toll. My plates are Alaska. Maybe they would think I was from some foreign country. Actually, I try to only keep my money pocket money only. This way I just reach in and grab. I just hope nothing falls on the ground. Later I deal with sorting the wad I put back in.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 6:07 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContractRider
there's something to be said for touring the urban landscape on a naked bike - especially at night. Underfoot, the textures of asphalt, concrete, brick, c(Ah!)bblestones, and rumble-strips are ever-evolving. And all around, the integrated geometry of buildings, bridges, lights, and motion create a technological atmosphere that is like nothing else.

You've read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" at least once, or I'll eat my hat!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 7:02 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I've heard of the book many times, but never read it. I understand it's not about Zen or motorcycles. Good read?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2007, 2:47 pm
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContractRider
I've heard of the book many times, but never read it. I understand it's not about Zen or motorcycles. Good read?
Frankly, yours was better......

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode