Entire National Park to myself and very close encounter with a deer...pics ahead - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2007, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Entire National Park to myself and very close encounter with a deer...pics ahead

I wanted to give my new cold weather riding gear (Firstgear TPG) a test drive so I chose some high Sierra riding for this mornings trip. This is a route I've done several times but never in November where the temps today touched 40 degrees. Something I normally would avoid given my thin California blood.

This is Sequoia National Park. One of the great motorcycle rides in the state in my opinion. Even in the summer it's not that busy, but today I felt like Charton Heston in planet of the apes when he discovers he's the only human on the planet. I could have taken a nap on the double yellow. Being kind of a lone wolf rider (my wife's words), this is Nirvana to me. And I took some pictures to share with you guys.

There was patchy fogg in the valley, which made for some picturesque vistas up high.

Despite the relative chill, the roads were dry, with no snow, and I was completely comfortable in my gear. No need for electrics today.

This whole park has gorgeous roads. Makes you want to ride, doesn't it?

I've got a thing for bridges. This stone specimen is worth a photo.

This shot is kind of little dragon-esque, don't you think?

Don't hate me for living near here...

OK, now the deer. Probably not what you were expecting since I had just stepped off my bike to take in the view and this big guy was staring me in the eye. I wasn't sure if he wanted a snack or wanted to gore me. Still, I'd rather see him on foot than at 80 MPH.

And a vanity shot of my faithful GT...

Total ride today was about 200 miles and I got home around 11:30 AM. Winter riding is great when you have the right gear. Oh, and you live in California .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2007, 3:34 pm
Addict

Nice. I had a 2004 GT of the same color! Glad you stopped and took photos.

Gravity
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2007, 4:14 pm
Enthusiast

Wow! The big buck is awesome. I agree that he is better seen on foot and not darting across the road just as you go by. I'm sure some ass wants to put a bullet in him.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 5:42 am
Enthusiast

Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
Wow! The big buck is awesome. I agree that he is better seen on foot and not darting across the road just as you go by. I'm sure some ass wants to put a bullet in him.
Bambi usually doesn't wait to dart out until you go by. My encounter with one took months to get over. With no natural enemies except those 'asses' out hunting them, their numbers have increased each year until riding at more than 30-35 MPH on secondary roads has become dangerous. At least at low speed you will likely live through the collision.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 10:06 am
Enthusiast

What awesome photos - and what awesome experiences you share with us. (To David's remarks about we, the asses, does it help if I note my Native American heritage. Oh...perhaps this makes it different.) Love your Charlton Heston analogy and can relate. Thanks, Doc - awesome!

2007 K1200R Sport w/ Leo Vince EvoII titanium slip-on. They say that moving sucks. I rather like it, when it's on my bike.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 7:55 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
At less those "____" do reduce the herd, you should see the problems those hoofed rodents causes in no hunting zones. The county I live in is always in the highest in the state of Michigan for deer vehicle accidents, and in the top 10 in the country every year.

I don't hunt but I do appreciate the hunters reducing the herd a bit. We used to have wolves and cougars to do the job, but they "might' hunt cattle so they were eliminated.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 9:27 pm
Enthusiast

Weird... in the "dragon-esque" photo, it looks like the clouds form an Anarchy sign, turned sideways. Again, enjoy your shots... and the recent trip you took along the PacCoast highway. Have only been able to do that by car - three times! Look forward to riding it one day.

2007 K1200R Sport w/ Leo Vince EvoII titanium slip-on. They say that moving sucks. I rather like it, when it's on my bike.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2007, 9:33 am
Will ride for picts

As always, nice pictures, doc! I haven't had the opportunity to ride through Sequoia or Kings Canyon yet.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2007, 9:35 am
Veteran

Great pics, love that place. Brings back memories. Wonderful roads. Kings Canyon was great too. Almost deserted. Was there last August and you're right. Very lightly traveled. Hot though in Aug. I took the southern way out and they had the road closed for construction 45 minutes at a time. There were 2 other cars that pulled up behind me to wait in 45 minutes. In the middle of summer. In CA no less. Right down the road at Yosemite was a freaking zoo. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
I'm sure some ass wants to put a bullet in him.
That would be me!

And not only would I put a bullet in him but I'd hang him on my wall, next to the others, and eat his meat too.

What are you one of those Vegans? Or just a Left Wing Communist? Go eat a salad with bacon bits. Does your bike run off of Bio Diesel? Just wondering cause a LOT of critters died, and continued to die, to make that gas you're pumping.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2007, 5:02 pm
TXS
Rookie

Beautiful photos. Makes me miss living in Alaska. DAMNIT COAST GUARD!!! WHY BALTIMORE!!???? Oh yeah, it was my first pick....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode