Houston to Puerto Vallarta - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2008, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Houston to Puerto Vallarta

Interested in possibly riding from Houston to Puerto Vallarta and back in 5 to 6 days. Has anyone ridden this or similarly in Mexico recently? This would be all paved roads. How is the border crossings? What about availability of Premium fuel? Hotels? Speed laws? etc. Have passport but a little uneasy taking off to the unknown... Appreciate any help!

DaMu
Houston, TX
04 K1200GT Grey Green

Last edited by DaMu; Feb 12th, 2008 at 7:44 pm. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2008, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMu
Interested in possibly riding from Houston to Puerto Vallarta and back in 5 to 6 days. Has anyone ridden this or similarly in Mexico recently? This would be all paved roads. How is the border crossings? What about availability of Premium fuel? Hotels? Speed laws? etc. Have passport but a little uneasy taking off to the unknown... Appreciate any help!
Right now, the boarder towns are fraught with police corruption, kidnappings and narcoterrorist intense violence between the police and dealers. Life is all about what's important to you, so ride if you must, just be warned. Especially of kidnappings...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 1:52 pm
Strafist

You will need your passport, title to your bike, drivers license and credit card all with the exact name on them. If you still owe on the bike you'll need a letter of permission from the bank. You'll also need Mexican Insurance, I'll post the link when I get home.

Go. Don't let the border towns bother you, just don't linger in one.

I'm going to the Mexican National BMW Rally, 2 days in Guadalajara and 2 days in Puerto Vallarta in October.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 9:34 pm
Rookie

Go'n Down

Went to Esenada and south w/ the squeeze last October. Road Mexican 1A and 2A. What Grif said about essentials. No problems for 1500 miles and 5 days worth of rid'n. Watch attendants @ Pemex stations convert'n Pesos to Dollars. Have Pesos at the ready; or do the math and don't be afraid to question/hagel in English. Don't be a stuck-up anglo; go w/the flow and embrace the culture. Take u're time and have a great trip!

DON'T WAX'M; JUST RID'M!!

04'KGT=RED SLED/ SAY GOOD-BYE/ SOLD
07'KGT=SQUEEEZA-LICOUS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 10:28 am
Noob

Wink I just did it!

Funny.. I just did this trip.. Phoenix to Puerto Vallarta..

Took 3 days to get down there.. spent a week in Vallarta and anothe 3 days to come back..
No issues.. and Violence.. Only violence I encountered was the hoardes of kids, and adults saying "Bonita Moto Senor" Oh and a stray on Hwy 15 in Sinaloa that scared the heck out of me..
Anyhow don't pay attention to the US media.. they are that don't know skwat..
Yes there is violence in Mexico.. but it gets blown so out of proportion by our media that it's just ridiculous!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode