Sonora Recon - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 8:10 pm Thread Starter
Looking for better limits...

Sonora Recon

There's been an on-again, off-again discussion amongst various folks about having a reoccurring gathering in the Sierra's. Tahoe Hill Country Rally, but that would be THCR, and certain folks would get confused. So, SGR was born. Hopefully, it'll all come to pass (sorry, no pun intended) in September this year.

I met up with Kneedragger Saturday to tour the area for hotels/motels that would have us.

Even found a means for those interested to commemorate this first endeavour...

Must've visited 10 to a dozen places, starting across the street where we met up.

(I'll save y'all from having to view all the other ones...)

Even went high and low searching out all the good eateries in the area, like Snowshoe Brewing Co. and Restaurant in Arnold, CA on highway 4. You gotta like having heated grips, heated seat, and Gerbings...

Charlie had to head back to Southern Calif. Sunday morning to make sure he was home by the end of the day, so he took all of his notes, brochures, and business cards from the various hotels/motels and booked. I on the other hand, and two more days. Found a wagon if needed...

and a shop that could alter things

which also happened to be the meeting place of some buffalo society

Headed up to Kirkwood, a popular ski resort, knowing full well that at some point it might just end up as a U-turn due to conditions. Thing is, though, there hadn't been anything but sunny weather for the last two weeks, so I figured it'd be passible. Turned out it was, although the picture I wanted after this one (at 8000') didn't have any area to safely pull over and snap photos. Same thing with the 7990' Carson Summit pass.

Got over the summit, into the wet (water running across the road...no ice ) and sandy part of the ride. Probably all of a ½ mile before the road started looking the the photos above again.

Got to Kirkwood only to find them to be a tad too expensive ($150.00/night, group rate...normally $188.00 per night). Parked as far as I could go...

Then headed back to the lower part where I managed to find a room for the night.

Monday, just wanted to check out highway 49 to the end in Oakhurst. Highway 49 is basically a foothills highway, so it has something for everyone. Twisties, sweepers, and long straights. Home, too, of the Little Dragon, between Coulterville and Bear Valley. It starts at the bridge crossing the raging waters of the Merced river.

The little dragon isn't nearly the equivalent of the Dragon back in Tennessee, but it's fun none-the-less.

At Oakhurst, where highway 49 ends at highway 41 (southern route into Yosemite), I decided one more food place should be checked out prior to heading home. Good place to stop and eat...

Yosemite Fork Mountain House Restaurant

And that's the end of the fun part. One stop for gas, and hoped I could get through the commute traffic without too much hassle. Turns out that quite a few other folks took the day off, and most were heading in the opposite direction I was taking. Do have to take the pegs back down to their lower and forward position, though. Knees weren't too happy at the end of the day, but all in all, a great ride.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 8:16 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Great idea Ray.

Good photo's too.

September though ?? Might have a hard time getting
over the Rockies that time of year. Or, more likely,
getting back.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 8:35 pm
Will ride for picts

You were in Kirkwood last Saturday? Funny, so was I. This was taken around 9:00 am on Zachary run. I bet we were less than 1/4 mile from each other at some point!

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2008, 12:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhall
You were in Kirkwood last Saturday? Funny, so was I. This was taken around 9:00 am on Zachary run. I bet we were less than 1/4 mile from each other at some point!

Really! Well, it was Sunday for me...sorry I missed ya. Went as far as we went last time we were there. Got a couple of "interesting" looks putting through the parking lot. Got a little twitch from the rear tire coming down from the summit, but nothing going back. Just so you know, the other Snowshoe place is now the Lumberyard, and the restaurant is open. Keep the week of Sept. 14th open on your calendar.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2008, 12:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook sez
Great idea Ray.

Good photo's too.

September though ?? Might have a hard time getting
over the Rockies that time of year. Or, more likely,
getting back.
September? You kidding? Rockies should be clear and clean until late October. Sept. 14th (Sunday) is the start date, 18th is the last day, giving you Friday-Sunday to get home soon enough for work the next Monday. Ideally, all the kiddies are back in school, so mom and dad aren't crowding the roads rubber-necking at the scenery.
Now, keep in mind it has snowed up in the Sierra's in July. Rare, but bring your chains anyway.

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:06 am

Talking Sonora Recon

Well Damn.

Wish I would have known about the trip so I could have had a reason to take a ride over that way. Went out on Monday to Jack Russel for a pint.

Sept 15-19 might could work for me but very close to the wife's birthday (21ST) so let me know or post here to keep updated.

Nice pics as always. Who was that masked Skiman anyway???

Take Care, Fletch

2004 KZEBRA (SOLD)
2004 K1200GT
1993 K1100LT (FOR SALE)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode