riding into Canada - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

riding into Canada

Hello, everyone this is my first post in this forum. I'm starting to plan a July trip upto Quebec City for their 400th anniversary thing. I was hoping to ride up to the Rockies but my inlaws will be in Quebec, so riding was my wife's way of talking me into the Canada ride.
Anyway, I do actually have questions. Has anyone ridden to/in Canada. Are they ok with bikes, is standard license and ins. ok, are county mounties heavy on speeding, etc.
Oh, I guess the important part, Chicago to Quebec on my 03 K12rs, wife on back.
I have saddle bags, going to buy a Givi trunk and a tank bag. Either an Autocom or Baehr system; upgrade seat to probably a Russell day long. I have 6 jmonths to make and spend the money, should be ok.
I've been riding a long time and have done long trips. My wife hasn't I think I'll be making lots of stops (unfortunately).
One more question. My understanding is the 2 best routes are either upto Detroit into Canada and over the Quebec or east bound across the states to Vermont and then up into Canada ... anyone have thoughts on that.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ride safe
Markus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 7:32 pm
Will ride for picts

You might post this in the Canada forum....

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

thanks

Thanks, rh, I didn't know there was a Canada forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2008, 8:15 pm
Rookie

Ride Canada or US

(I didn't know there was a Canada forum either . . .)

I recommend riding in the US and crossing in Vermont to Quebec. Otherwise you will be on the 401 from Windsor to the Quebec boarder. Neither you nor your wife will like it. Even off-highway, traffic is heavy and roads are not particularly scenic. To me, as a Canadian, it's a no brainer - Pa, Ny, Vt - anywhere through the region south of the great lakes is very nice riding. You can pass through Watkins Glenn & finger lakes, if you like. You can cross in Vt or Ny. Ottawa (Canada's capital) is in Ontario, so if you cross at the Hill Island Bridge, you can visit Ottawa (about 1 hour or so north) before heading off to quebec city. There is lots of good riding where you're headed. Just stay away from that 401!

http://bikeroads.atspace.com/roads.htm#ea
There's some rides around Ottawa, but check great non-ontario bike roads for a couple of quebec routes. The one to LeGrande is a trip in itself but hopefully this will give you an idea of what you might like to do.

Enjoy.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2008, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

which side to ride

Very nice info there bratwurst. Sind sie Deutscher? Ich bin Pfalzer. It seems all responses are saying to stay away from the 401. I'd like to take Highway only part of the time. Scenic routes mostly.
Thanks for the link, very cool.
Markus, Ride safe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 11:56 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Canada is easy traveling.
Insurance wise you will need a certificate stating you policy includes Canada. You agent can supply the document (about the size of a postcard).

The south side of Lake Erie is boring until you get to New York, at least on the North side there are lots of very good wineries (stay on Canada 3 to NY). If you decide to got through Detroit you will have to take the Ambassador bridge, no bikes allowed in the tunnel. (Southern Michigan isn't that great either)
I agree with going through New York, Vermont, NH,

On Second thought head up through Wisconsin, Cross into to Canada at Sault Ste. Marie and take Canada 17 east, head South on 69 at Sudbury, Catch Lake Ontario at Oshawa, (Canada 2, not 401 here follow the lake, and than drop into New York on I81, catch 12 out of Watertown southeast to 28 and head east on it, to 8, up 9N to Ticonderoga and into Vermont, took us four days to cross Vermont into New Hampshire, keep finding fun roads.

Enjoy,

We kept sending the laundry home via UPS and buying new at Walmart and Kmart.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode