Road America with Nate Kern - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Road America with Nate Kern

My dad, my brother and I attended todays Championship Cup series racing at Road America. We didnt really know what to expect or even what bike were racing in each class but we were there to enjoy bike racing. We took off our helmets and were immediately suprised to hear Nate Kern's name over the PA and a quick look around the track showed him battling hard for 2nd place. We headed towards the pits looking for a fancing truck covered in BMW logos but came up short and completely missed seeing Nate or his bike. We haulted our search for the fastest Boxer in Wisconsin inorder to take a ride on a few new Buells (what a disappointment) but we were approached my Nate Kern himself while standing along side our 3 BMW's. He invited us back to the pits to check out the bikes and we didnt hesitate to take advantage of the opportunity. I took a bunch of pics throughout the day

Our 3 BMW's, a 99 R1100S, a 05 R1200RT, and a 06 K1200R

We were part of a crowd of 6 BMW's parked near Nate's pickup and tent in the pits.

After meeting Nate we watched him head out for his second race of the day, Here's a few pics of him on the Black R1200S from Road America's turn 5

No pics but Nate showed us how to drift a R1200S like true pro

A few of the pics turned out blurry but it's probably due to the R1200S being so fast not the camera/camera guy

Here's Nate heading back to the pits after walking away with a victory in the second race

Back in the pits we spent several hours checking out the bikes and asking questions

Nate brought 2 bikes in the back of his truck all the way from Georgia for the racing this weekend, he and the guys in the pits spent quite a while explaining the differences between the 2 bikes, they also explained the different rear end ratios and clutch types and they also let us watch them set the bikes weights and fuel quantity.

The third race for Nate was the exciting one and with the time limit rapidly approaching the race was cut from 12 laps to 7 laps and then right before the start it was cut to 5 laps. This was a slight advantage for Nate since he'd have extra fuel at the end and he'd weigh in a little heavier, every lb counts. Here's Nate eagerly awaiting the opportunity to beat the Buells.

Nate got an awesome jump on the start and ended up 5-6 bike lengths ahead for the first lap

I was down in the chicane hoping to see the BMW really leaned over, Nate didnt disappoint me

He was a bit to fast for the camera

Nate attempting to out run the Buell on his way to Canada Corner

Another blurry pic but this is how close it was on lap 4 as Nate left the Carrousel

I hurried back to the pits just as Nate passed me on lap 4 so I could see him cross the finish line at the end of lap 5. I pulled back in just in time to see him win.

Here's Nate totally excited about beating the Buell's on their home turf.

And a thumbs up from the proud winner

After the victroy lane trophy presentation I followed the crew back down to the dyno to weigh the bike and dyno test it.

Nate joked about wearing the toe off his boot, the end off his foot peg and draggin the BMW's cylinder heads inorder to hold off the charging Buells.
Waiting in line for the dyno

Nate attempted to race all the rubber right off the rear tire

Here's Nate discussing how great the BMW performed today

And Nate climbing on the dyno

Between the Akrapovic exhaust and wide open Boxer engine the sound was pretty much incredible

After officially taking victory I helped Nate load both bikes into the his truck for the long haul back to Georgia, yes that's an ordinary Dodge pickup hauling 2 of the fastest Boxers in America, Nate was hoping to have the new graphics on the big truck but it didnt get done on time so he made the trip in the pickup

Hanging out with Nate and the team in the pits was incredible, talk about close to the action here's my K1200R parked right next to Nate's bikes before we left the track

I didnt expect to meet Nate Kern today, I didnt expect to hang out around his bikes all day in the pits either but I sure hope I'm at Road America next year when he comes back because it was a blast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:20 pm
JCW
contributor

Awesome pics!

Sounds like an AWESOME weekend.

I spent mine catching up on paperwork. (And I'm still not done yet)

BTW, GUESS WHOSE RACE WHEELS THOSE ARE????? If anyone wants a set of the forged magnesium race wheels for your KR, KS, KGT, R12S, pm me... They are even JWL approved in Japan.

Thanks
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:23 pm
JCW
contributor

BTW, looks like the stock brake calipers. I wonder what master cylinder he's using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
BTW, looks like the stock brake calipers. I wonder what master cylinder he's using?
He had Brembo rotors and brembo master cylinders. And BMW Brembo calipers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:33 pm
JCW
contributor

Cool!

Must be the Brembo calipers off the K-S. I think R12S came with the Tokico's like our K-R's.

Was the MC brembo's radial unit? Probably the 19x18 forged one.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a ISR MC. But brembo is just Mr. Reliable.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

Yes it did look similar to this but I do not know for sure
http://www.carpimoto.it/content/prod...ke_systems.htm
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:39 pm
JCW
contributor

Aw man, wish I could have been there.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:43 pm Thread Starter

I rode up with my dad and brother from Crystal Lake, Northwest Burbs, I'd been home for a few days. They had to leave early due to the longer ride home and missed the last race. I stuck around til the very end before heading back to Oshkosh. There's always next year
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 7:22 am

Sounds like an awesome time! I get my service done at Atlanta BMW, where they sponsor Nate. He is there quite a bit, and is always entertaining to talk to. He is generous with his time and always seems to have a minute or two to chat about the last race or show you the latest incarnation of his bikes. Pretty cool guy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode