"Avoid ... Fog, Ice, and Snow" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 3:25 pm Thread Starter
"Hey Y'all"

"Avoid ... Fog, Ice, and Snow"

I guess I better quit pushing my luck up there, but it sure was fun. The air at home was 37, and I could see the snow on the ridges, but I just had to go see if the roads were dry. It was way under 37 up top. I pulled a "Homer" when I stopped. I was looking at where to stop and forgot to think about turning around. D'oh ! Oh well, the lean it and pivot 180 on the centerstand worked. (Click any pic for larger view. Click here for slideshow.)

The sign says, "Go Home, You Fool." "Home" is the blue valley of the second pic. From about 1000 feet down the mountain to the house the roads are dry. And twisty, of course. Pic three is the overlook I was on two weeks ago. Closed for a while, now.

US276 has some great sweeping S curves, and this section is rideable almost all winter. There used to always be a patch of ice just over the bridge (heading north), but it has disappeared in the last few years. That's OK. The center pic is about 6 minutes from the house. I ride these back roads a lot, and can't figure out why tires only last 5k or less. pic three is tonights forecast for where I just came down from. Flurries. I think I'll let it warm up a bit before I go all the way back up. Oh yeah, no offense Pete, but there was a car load of Florida tourist at the parkway intersection looking at me like I was nuts or something. I thought they had all gone back home for the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 4:54 pm
Veteran

"Avoid ... Fog, Ice, and Snow"

Looks like your a true 'Rounder'...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 5:27 pm
Veteran

Our Best to You and Yours............

James...

A little bit off plumb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:30 pm
Enthusiast

Damn you love to ride,or your just plain crazy!!!!!!!

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:29 pm
Just a user too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlk1200
Damn you love to ride,or your just plain crazy!!!!!!!
Both!

Randy

2004 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue "Zebra"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:50 pm Thread Starter
"Hey Y'all"

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by htheater
Both!

Randy
I was trying to decide on that one.

Another REALLY FUN ride is to get one of the "after the cold front" days when every other dark cloud spits snow for a few minutes in passing. I just LOVE riding in those little snow flurries. (Now you all know why I want an ambient temp gauge on the bike. 34 ? , or 38 ? It REALLY matters.)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 3:54 pm
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Yes I have had same experience. Was going to ride down to Roanoke 2 Aprils ago, dropped down to 26F heavy fog, had ice hanging off of my sleeves, ice on face shield. I could not see 10 feet in front of me, then the 500 deer did make it a lot more fun. We went from Rt 33 south to I-64, took almost 2 hours, jumped on I-64 went to Waynseboro to get some hot breakfast, slabed it rest of way to Roanoke.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 4:28 pm
Enthusiast

Dealer had a after Thanksgiving Day ride today.Seventy three miles to the shop.It was fourteen degrees when I left the house.Seven of us counting the owner then rode from Louisville to Madison, lndiana to eat.Great time and I stayed comfy with my vest,fleece,and First Gear suit on. In all rode 229 miles in 14 to 32 degree temps.
CABNFVR,It was clear and dry though,no ice,no snow.Maybe one of these days, I don't know though.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 1:16 pm Thread Starter
"Hey Y'all"

Slip sliding away ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlk1200
Dealer had a after Thanksgiving Day ride today.Seventy three miles to the shop.It was fourteen degrees when I left the house.Seven of us counting the owner then rode from Louisville to Madison, lndiana to eat.Great time and I stayed comfy with my vest,fleece,and First Gear suit on. In all rode 229 miles in 14 to 32 degree temps.
CABNFVR,It was clear and dry though,no ice,no snow.Maybe one of these days, I don't know though.
I'll take your colder but dry ride any day. I had one "no big deal" slip heading back down. I didn't see anything. Not enough ice to be a problem, but an unexpected wiggle always bunches the diaper a bit. Curiosity .....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode