Solo CO Fall Ride - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

Solo CO Fall Ride

Well, after planning and canceling a CO ride for mid July, looks like I "have a go" for my CO ride starting on 9/14. I may not be able to ride the full planned route due to weather, but I guess that's part of 'The Adventure.'

Leaving Omaha (NE) area on Sunday, 14 September, slabbing it to Ft Collins area.

Monday from Ft Collins area to Glenwood Springs or thereabouts.

Tuesday from Glenwood Springs to around Delta.

Wednesday from Delta to around Ouray (the 'Long Way Around').

Thursday from Ouray to around Gunnison.

Friday from Gunnison to Denver.

Saturday from Denver back home...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...85&ie=UTF8&z=8

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696

Last edited by amzarinelli; Aug 22nd, 2008 at 1:24 pm. Reason: Added Link to Planned Route
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 4:50 pm

Take the ride over Horsetooth to Masonville or 14 (stop at Mishawaka for a cold one and a stretch), instead of dropping down to Loveland and screwing with idiot laden 34.

Best,

J
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 5:16 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Zquad

The reason the map shows me taking the beginning of 34 is 'cause I want to go up to 14 via 56, CR-27. Was told that's a great road to ride on...

-----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 7:14 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzarinelli
The reason the map shows me taking the beginning of 34 is 'cause I want to go up to 14 via 56, CR-27. Was told that's a great road to ride on...

Take Zquad's suggestion. It's not worth the effort of riding through town, just to start at the beginning of 34 and 56 (there's a little elementary school at that corner, can't remember its name). I'd personally ride Rist Canyon to Stove Prairie Road myself, but the route around Horsetooth to Masonville is nice also... just watch for cops.

I used to ride these roads daily on my way home from work when I lived in Colorado.

edit: I also lived in Bellevue, NE for 11 years. You're retracing some of my old stomping grounds.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Git it...

Looking at the map, I guess the suggestion is to take 38E along Horsetooth Reservoir to Masonville, or 52e off 285 (Rist Canyon) to 14.
I love options I will probably stay off 14 and I-25 in a Motel after slabbing it to Ft Collins, so these variants both seem more straightforward than taking 34 through Loveland.

Thanks!

-----
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2008, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

Back Home Safely

Just back in at home.

The KGT ran great, and I had a lot of fun - thanks to all who posted and PM'd with route suggestions; I am sure I wasn't able to do it all...

Around 1400 pictures to sort through; will post ride report when done. Please be patient. Here's the GPX from the SPoT.

Also available here: SPoT Shared Page
Attached Files
File Type: zip CO Ride SPoT.zip (5.4 KB, 13 views)

-----
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2008, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Solo Ride - The Report (1st Installment)

I went for a solo ride through Colorado on my K-GT after the ‘family vacation’ in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

The ride was loosely planned as a (primarily) riding vacation – not really to experience Colorado, but rather to experience the roads in Colorado.

What I did confirm during this trip was that I probably am not a good “group rider.” In fact, besides the two “slabbing” days getting to Colorado and
getting back home, most days consisted of taking to mostly two-lane roads between 8am and 9am Mountain time, riding, stopping for gas every 150-200
miles or so, and using one of those gas stops to get a couple of granola bars and water bottles for “lunch” around noon or 1pm. After ‘lunch’,
I continued to ride until 4 or 5pm, then turning into a hotel, having some dinner, and a (couple of) cold one(s). Due to the elevations, and the
late season, I decided to forego camping and just find a hotel ‘on the fly.’

The Gear
To save space and weight on the bike, I decided to leave my “big” Nikon D80 at home and instead only take the little Nikon L10.
I had good luck with this camera in the past shooting “on the move” from the bike, and figured it’ll do for this ride.

As far as riding gear is concerned, I took along my Patagonia boxer-briefs as a first layer “downstairs,” and Under Armour Cool and Warm ‘long johns’
as the second layer. Also took ‘smartwool’ and ‘coolmax’ socks. I only took one pair of riding boots – my Sidi ‘Gore-Tex’ waterproof touring boots.
“Upstairs,” I took along Under Armor Cool and Warm stretch shirts as my fist layer, and my Gerbings (electrical) undergarment. Also had a couple of
buffs, both coolmax and fleece-lined to keep the neck protected. To keep the noggin’ safe, I wore my Shoei X11 with the Scala Rider Q2 installed.
Finally, to keep me dry, warm and cool, I was wearing my Olympia Phantom one-piece suit.

Street clothes were one pair of jeans, tennis shoes, a couple of light T-shirts, a sweat shirt, and my Crocs (to run around the hotel, as well
as in the shower). Also along came my IPod, my SPoT, and my Zumo. And of course carrying me and that ‘stuff’ was the K-GT, with around 15,000
miles on the odometer at departure, bone stock, but for the Corbin front and back seats (with OEM heat). The ESA was set to ‘rider plus luggage’
preload and ‘comfort’ for the slab runs, ‘normal’ or ‘sport’ (depending on mood) dampening for the passes.

Finally, I took along my half Covermax to protect the bike overnight from the elements, and my tire plug kit with 12V pump. Everything fit into the
panniers, so no need to carry any bags etc (no camping equipment helped too )

The Net
Not that Net, just ‘netting’ it out here…
Departure was set for Sunday 14 September; return home was planned for Saturday 20 September. Planned overnight points
(assuming hotel suitability/availability) were in Ft Collins, Glenwood Springs, Telluride, Ridgway, Gunnison, and Denver.

As usual, not everything worked out as planned, but more about that later as part of the daily detail accounting…

In summary, the trip totaled 2,667.6 miles, with a moving time totaling 45h 58m over six days, translating to a moving average of round 58mph.

Over the next couple of days (as work load permits), I will update this thread with posts for each day - as I am not a man of many words, I will mostly
let the pictures do the "talking" ...

Day One - Sunday, 14 September, Home to Ft Collins
Started with a healthy, light breakfast and got on the road slightly before 10am Central. Took I-29 to I-680, going North around Omaha, NE, then I-80
West towards Lincoln. Fortunately, I-80 West of Lincoln has a 75mph limit, so I'm running cruise control at 82mph (approx. 10% over the limit -
without radar detector that seems to be a "safe bet" on Highways in most states...). Knowing the "nothingness" around I-80 in Nebraska, I had the camera
in the tank bag for the first 300-400 miles.

Getting gas in Kearney (Nebraska).

And back onto the slab (I-80) we go...

Finally - Heading SW onto I-76 after passing Ogalalla (Nebraska) and into Colorado.

Stopping (no pic, sorry) in Julesburg (Colorado) for another fill-up - this time for both the K-GT and myself: I get two granola bars and a 16oz bottle
of water. And I take this opportunity to drain some fluids... Then it's back onto I-76 towards Sterling (until further notice, all towns are in
Colorado ). In Sterling, I leave I-76 and take 14 West.

Finally, Ft Collins...

Turning in at the Comfort Inn, with the bike right outside my window...

After freshening up, I walk down the street to the "Sundance Steakhouse" for a Ribeye and a couple of beers. After walking back to the hotel, I hit
the sack.

Total of 551.4 miles, mostly Interstate. Tomorrow heading to Glenwood Springs - teaser:

-----
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2008, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Day 2

Day Two - Monday, 15 September, Ft Collins to Glenwood Springs

Taking off from the Comfort Inn shortly before 8:30 local time, I follow 14, then 287/14, then back onto 14. Follow this until 'Stove Prairie Road'
intersects, then head South on it and CR-27 toward Masonville...

Then take 56 to 34 through Estes Park, and up into Rocky Mountain National Park until 34 intersects with 40. As the temperatures were in the 40's when
I started out, I thought it wise to don the Gerbings over a thin Under Armour - good choice!

Follow it through Hot Sulphur Springs and Kremmling to 134, then back South onto 131... The man is having a blast!!! Oh, and 'Open Range' means,
besides the cattle guards near corners, there could be other hazards on the roads - Cow-Doo-Doo 8)

... to I-70 and on to Glenwood Springs.

Turning into the Best Western in Glenwood Sptrings. Bike sits right in front of the door to my room. I shower and head into town to the "Glenwood
Canyon Brewing Company" for a New York Strip and a couple of 'home-brew' Ales - yummy! I turn in after dinner.

Total of 398.8 miles today, mostly through fabulous landscapes - even I-70 is gorgeous here! Tomorrow heading to Telluride - teaser:

-----
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2008, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

Day 3 (Part I)

Day Three - Tuesday, 16 September, Glenwood Springs to Telluride (Part I)

Getting the bike ready around 8:15 local time: All is stowed inside the panniers, need to go check out now... The open door behind the bike is my room.

After checking out, I head over to gas station to fuel up. I head down 82 through Aspen and then up Independence Pass. Again a chilly
morning that warranted the Gerbings, especially since I'll be going up above 12,000 feet...

I get off at the top of the pass, almost tripping over the gerbings wire - will have to get used to that again ... After looking around atop the pass
I get back on, plug in and head down the pass towars 24 and 24/285. There are a couple of 'Wings and Cruisers ahead - but never for long.
The colors are stunning...

On towards Poncha Springs, where I turn West again onto 50 and up to Monarch Pass and on through Gunnison towards Montrose...

This is the 'Blue Mesa' lake along 50. The remainder of 'Day 3' will follow later..

-----
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2008, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Detour...

Since the board is limiting the 'number of img-tags per post, please go to:

The BMW SportTouring Ride Tales Forum for the rest of the story...

No additional days will be posted here.

-----

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode