Planning to tour Europe... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 7:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Planning to tour Europe...

Have decided to begin planning a trip to Europe for July 2011 and I'm looking for advise. Route will probably be Munich to Barcelona, at least two weeks long. I'll be riding two up with my bride. Options are:
1. Tour company all the way...
2. Rent a bike and plan my own route
3. Ship my bike and plan my own route

I currently ride an 08 GT. And would rent the same. I HAVE to ride the Autobahn if for only an hour! Want vast majority to be in the mountains. As long as it's paved, I'll ride it... I'm over 50 and have had my share of camping in a tent... 6-7 hours a day in the saddle are about right for us. Prefer secondary roads.

I've "heard" you can ship your bike and fly on the same plane and numerous other tales, but all second hand. I'm looking for advice from those that have "dun it"!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 12:55 am
Addict

GunnerT... I've rented overseas often, typically following a business trip and having permission from the bride to stay over . Instead of hiring a tour company I save major $$$ and have the flexibility to go where I want, when I want. It isn't hard. It also isn't hard to know where to go, what to see. Sometimes I stay in a different place every night, sometimes I make a place gound zero and go different directions every day, not having to haul all the gear or find a hotel every night. Here's one of the trips )Swiss/Italian Alps)...

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11890

With your departure not until '11, you have time to consider your options. Would note this, with a companion I might be more interested or willing to consider connecting with a tour group. I'm less picky when I'm on my own, and a bride might like a little more pampering, social options, and seeing the sights. Guess it depends on the "bride"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 9:16 am
Addict

I've been all over west GE, its real nice.

But..having been all over Saxony county (?) or region, whatever its called, in East GE, you would be missing a lot if you didn't consider checking out some towns there and the roads/countryside is real nice.

I like Meissen a lot, where 'white gold' was concocted by a german a 1000 yrs ago (the chinese had it first and wouldn't give up the secret). They invented the first trademark that you still see today on the stuff they make, ie, crossed swords.

Lots of cool castles, one of which has an unbelievable motorcycle museum in it (between Leipzig and Frankfort somewhere).

good luck in your travels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:56 pm

I have heard of many people shipping their bikes in/out of Canada but not many from from the states. Not sure why. I just did 2 weeks in Germany,France,Switzerland, Italy,and Austria. My brother and I did a last minute deal and rented bikes in Munich. The new 650 GS'S and I thought it was a perfect bike for the tour. (My normal ride is a 2007 GT) I brought my gps and paid 180 bucks for the European maps for my garmin. We had no plan other than staying up in the mountains and riding twisties. Hotels on the fly were no problem at all. We did a lot of the same passes as Steve did. His videos were great but no video could capture the incredible experience. The GT is a big bike for the alps but very doable. I saw a couple of Harley dudes and they were hurting. So many tight turns and lower speeds than you are accustomed to here in the States. The roads and people were first class all the way. Food and beer too! I could get you some more info i you like. Two weeks to do
Munich to Barcelona and back would be a stretch. I normally average 500-1000 miles a day here in the western USA, We averaged 200-300 in Europe. The Autobahn was great or making time and the experience of it. But the Alpine roads and towns are the only way to go.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 6:36 pm
Noob

Hi,

Make SURE you check out Viaden, in Luxemborg (the country). It is a nice wee town, with the best biking roads in, and out of it I have ever seen. A European biking mecca. The roads are better condition than most race tracks, the cops friendly, and the corners just awesome.

It's "in the middle", so if you do your trip there is no excuse...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:45 pm
Telepathetic

For me and the Mrs it was a tour company, Edelweiss. When I'm on vacation now I want to relax and not end or start my day deciding where I'm going, stopping, staying, messing with loading the bike, etc. These guys would lay everything out for us. We could ride with a group or go our own way and meet up at the end of the day at the hotel. Nothing more stressful than what to drink and order to eat. It isn't the cheapest way to travel if that is a consideration. We are thinking about doing a tour of Spain later this year if all goes well.

Oh, I did live in Germany for a couple of years in a different life and have done the spontaneous travel thing in my trusty Audi. Lots to be said about just hitting the road and going. You'll have a great time when you go.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2008, 10:52 am
Enthusiast

Europe

I actually am in the early stages of planning a rent/ride of Europe . The length of 2 weeks.
Sanjaun2 where did you rent the 650 in Munich?
Anyone have a suggestion for time to go?
I am considering last wk of Aug/1st week of Sept.
I would like to camp but at this point I haven't finalized that.
You know hauling all the gear from US to Europe might be more trouble than worth.

Thanks
Billy B.

BMERGTMAN
2003 K 1200 GT
Ohlin's front/rear
K/N Air Filter
2 Bros. Exhaust
Laminar Lip
Sargent Seat
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2008, 3:13 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_B57
You know hauling all the gear from US to Europe might be more trouble than worth.
Check out your local Cycle Gear store. They have some large carry-all cases for air travel that have rollers and a handle. I think they have a 9900 cubic inch Olgia (sp?) bag for about $200 or less on sale. Stores helmet (it's padded and waterproof internally too), jacket, pants, boots and a lot of other junk. Just leave it at the rental place until you return. Looks like a small hand-truck in size (mine's in front of me now).

Mack
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2008, 6:13 pm
Enthusiast

europe

Thanks Mack the bag is OGIO MX 9900 and looks to be THE REAL Deal.
Weight of 15 lbs is a concern just due to the fact airlines will charge me a fee for weight when it is full of Bmer stuff.

BMERGTMAN
2003 K 1200 GT
Ohlin's front/rear
K/N Air Filter
2 Bros. Exhaust
Laminar Lip
Sargent Seat
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2008, 7:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for all the posts. Please keep them coming. I posted here at to the MOA forum. Based on responses I've all but given up on trying to do Germany - Spain. And I'm STRONGLE leaning towards renting a bike and planning my own trip. I agree with a tour company would be a lot easier, but the "barefoot style" better suits us.

Vast majority of comments advise to rent a bike a plan my own trip. After grunching the numbers, if I do my own thing it will move the trip up a year. I'm really getting excited about doing this trip. My best friend and his wife may even join us on the trip.

My wife things 10 days riding would be plenty (12 days total).

How did the maps for the Garmin work out? I have a Zumo.

Last edited by GunnerT; Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:04 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode