2008 Summer Catskill trip - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2009, 8:16 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

2008 Summer Catskill trip

Please excuse any screw-ups on my first attempt at logging some photos on this "Rides" forum. I would like to make some contributions to this site this year and figure I better learn how it all works before the good weather gets here.

Took a weekend ride after purchasing my bike used last Summer up to the Catskill Mts.of NY. Started in Central Jersey and made my way west and then north along the Delaware River to Port Jervis in NY. Took rte. 97 north along the Delaware to a town called Hawks Nest which skirts the river about 200 ft above. Took the first picture of the GT at that point with the road in the background.

[IMG][/IMG]

A little further up the river you come across one of the first attempts by the famous bridge builder John? Roebling to construct a bridge accoss a river before he built the Brooklyn Bridge. He was one of the first to incorporate ice breaking pilings on his bridges to reduce damage from ice flows and you can see them here.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next are a few views looking north and south of the dridge. The river is in its infancy this far north.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

One of the many overlooks found while touring through the countryside.
[IMG][/IMG]

A look at a few of the many reservoirs in the Catskill Park used to supply water to NY city and no one else. Don't even think about stopping by the side of the road for any reason near a reservoir because the LEOs seem to come out of no where to chase you away from their precious water supply...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Since this is only to see if I have picked up enough knowledge to post pictures I'll end here with the hope to post a lot more this summer. Thanks for bearing with me...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2009, 5:03 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Nice stuff.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2009, 11:07 am

Beautiful scenery... I was hoping to hit the Catskills last summer, but wasn't to be. I went through the Adirondacks instead, which I also found very picturesque. Thanks for the images!

2007 K1200R Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2009, 11:18 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Hermes, About a month after I did the Catskill trip I also did a weekend trip to the southern "Dacks"! That area is a lot more picturesque than than the Catskills as the mountains are taller, there are more natural lakes, and nicer road surfaces... I didn't take too many pictures on that trip as I was trying to make a lot of time and did most of my sightseeing from the seat of the bike. Will try to make it back there and spend more time...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode