600kms in the Jura - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 7:39 am Thread Starter

600kms in the Jura

On Good Friday my friend Mark (RT1150RT) and I took a 295km ride throughout the Jura area in France. Starting over the Col de la Faucille we headed out towards the Cascades du Herrison where we stopped off at the Belvedere de Quatre Lacs ( view of 4 lakes).
This is a spot at 923m and very close to the waterfalls of Herrison which this time we didn't stop at, but is a great spot in summer to walk to, and to eat at the restaurant at the head of the path to the falls.

At the Gorges de La Langouette, the flow of the water was strong as it dropped from the hillside and flowed quickly below our bridge viewpoint. It's a shame that pictures never seem to fully show the power or height of a waterfall, still here's my effort at capturing it.

From here we explored some new roads, enjoying the fact that there was very little traffic, and the quiet that you get in open countryside when there is still snow on the ground.A buzzard flew close overhead with some unfortunate animal in it's claws, and we stopped to take a couple of pictures by a semi frozen lake.

The next day, my wife and I rode a similar route, but this time making a point to stop and take more photos, and see more of the waterfalls and unusual buildings en route.

Spotted this for the first time despite having passed on this road several times!

This was just a little further down the road.

A huge waterfall I hadn't photographed yesterday, so made sure I took a picture today!

Another of the 4 lakes seen yesterday

The main plade to visit today was Baume les Messieurs, one of the most beautiful towns in France. The Zumo directed me to a viewpoint a few kms away at Cognat.

The town is nestled at the bottom of some very tall gorges and is very spectacular.

Lunch at the Restaurant du Belvedere was 4 courses for only 24 each!! Highly recommended.

More views into Baume les Messieurs

Waterfall just outside the town

The town itself

Final views on way out

Two great days riding, 600kms, great weather, and some great scenery and roads. Vive la France!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 7:27 pm
Enthusiast

Nice pics. Looks like you have a great ride. What was the temp over there.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 1:47 am Thread Starter

Temperature was between 15 and 17 degrees C. For full days out we prefer temperatures to be at least 8-10C, but the wife prefers 15C+ !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode