Part 2 -Alsace France-Wine Route and Ballons loadsa pics - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2009, 4:52 am Thread Starter

Part 2 -Alsace France-Wine Route and Ballons loadsa pics

We could have spent hours and hours looking through each village centre, and taken hundreds of pictures of just the houses! It seems to be a very religious area though with lots of churches, a monastery, and an old castle dating back to when that area was a Fiefdom.

One of many religious statues

Bizarrely shaped hotel

Blue house with large wine bottle outside indicating it sells local wines

After two and half hours of bimbling through amazing countryside and vineyards and having ridden only 90kms, I lost the signs and route at Turckheim, so decided to head off and go ride some Ballons.

More by luck than judgement we ended up in Munster and the start of the Col de Schluct. Climbing to its 1139 summit, after which we headed off for Le Markstein. This was one of today’s highlights. I remembered it from last time, great surface, good bends, and amazing views. If you rode this in the opposite direction, you’d probably miss most of the shots here.

Lunch at the top, and then on to the Grand Ballon at 1325m, before descending to Thank and the return journey.

Biker friendly restaurant!

Descending the Grand Ballon

Check the road surface change , its cobbled!! Imagine coming down this in the dark and in the rain, slippy or what!

Once back on the main roads I planned a route in the Zumo, but it wasn’t playing ball, and seemed to want to do its own thing. I didn’t want a motorway route
but it seemed intent on taking me there, probably due to the preferences being set for fastest route. Trying to override the preferences by taking off toll roads it drove me mental when flashing permanently 70kph limit warning when we were in a 100kph zone!! Screaming like a demented madman and cursing the intransigent machine I rebooted, but even then it screwed my plan and took me to Belfort and a major road, where there just happened to have been a breakdown on the carriageway blocking traffic for 10 minutes!

Through Belfort and past some frankly poor looking areas and average roads, we headed to Baume le Dames. Once we passed through Clerval we hit gold. Fast winding roads alongside a flowing river in fabulous countryside,. On through the Gorges de l’Audeux and onto Valdahon, this was proving to be a great tonic after the previously poor roads and the aggravation of the Zumos failed routing.

At Pontarlier it started to rain gently, and decided that Lausanne by motorway would be infinitely preferable to cross country on potentially wet and slippy passes.
Last time I posted a picture of the fortifications here it was from the other side and there was snow on the ground. From this side and closer, it looked even more impressive.

On the run down to Vallorbe and the Swiss border there were diversions which added a delay but we crossed into La Suisse and joined the motorway, much to the Zumos disgust, and it insisted we leave at each junction to avoid the toll road!!!!!!!

Home eventually at 19.25, after another long but enjoyable day. Today’s total was 458kms, just over 900kms for the two days! The GT had been pretty much flawless, coped with the luggage and bends well, returned around 50mpg, and been comfy for two 8 hour days in the saddle. Can’t ask for too much more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2009, 1:25 pm
I'm riding

Great pics and reports! Thanks a lot! Rode almost there two years ago/in Schwartswald / and loved the scenery. Eager to do les grands routes des Alpes this year

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode