2 days chillin'- farewell ride for the GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2009, 10:09 am Thread Starter

2 days chillin'- farewell ride for the GT

For a couple of years now, I've been planning to take Sue to a favourite spot of mine, the Berggasthaus Beverin, perched at 1800m at the top of the Glaspass near Thusis, Switzerland. Finally, with a favourable weather window, I took the chance to combine a couple of easy days riding in Switzerland (Sue doesn't share my mega passion for high passes) and give the GT a final ride out, before it goes in 10 days time.

We made an early start (for us), taking the motorway from Geneva to Brig, where we stopped at McDonalds for a break. Here we were approached by a couple of American ladies who were en route to Baden Baden in Germany, and wanted some road and route advice. After advancing the Anglo American alliance further, we led them part way to Gletsch, before waving goodbye and heading off for the "proper" roads.

In Gletsch we took the Furka pass and here are some pics from the top. Iíve got loads of these but I always take more!
This one is shows Gletsch at the bottom and the pass up to the lake at the top.

This one the lake itself, this angle shows the setting really well.

Heres the road up the Furka.

The Furka down to Andermat is twisty and narrow, with bends with no barriers, and only small bollards indicating the edges. Not a place to make a mistake, so we made a gentle and unhurried descent down, before arriving in Andermat and taking the Oberalp cross country towards Thusis.

The road up the Berggasthaus Beverin is mostly great gentle winding tarmace, until the last 1-2 kms, when it becomes very rough, and is being rebuilt in places. The GT wasnít at home here, even on the comfort setting, and loose gravel didnít help the nerves. When you get to the top, this is what you see.

Berggasthaus Beverin

It was around 16.00 when we arrived, and after checking in, we descended to the sundeck where a bottle of white wine and some finely sliced ham, helped set the tone for a gentle afternoon and evening of relaxation.

Everything is wood here, the menu is about 14 inches tall and even has proper hinges!

Evening meal of 4 courses cost 23chf each, plus wine!

Heres the bedroom. As you can see itís ALL wood, and creaks like crazy. No wonder there is a no smoking and no flame sign on the door!

The view from the bedroom window

I awoke at what I thought was 6.30, and marvelled at the absolute silence outside, literally the only thing you could hear was the sound of cow bells ringing as they munched their way through the fields below. This lasted an hour, until the peace and quiet was broken by the sound of somone mowing the field below! I rechecked my watch and found it was now 06.30, and I had misread the time earlier, still, who the hell mows grass at 06.30am?

Breakfast, a review of the map, a chat with some German bikers who lived near where I had used to live when I worked in Germany, and we were ready for an early off.

Heres the views on the way down the Glaspass.

First pass of the day, the San Bernadino. It had been years since I had travelled it in this direction, usually I go the opposite way, and now I remembered why, itís better!

Passing through,we then took the motorway to Airolo, and filled up with petrol before ascending the Neufenen.

Icebergs in the lake!

Down and back to Gletsch, where this time we took the Grimsel pass.

From the Grimsel to Interlaken.

An ice cream stop next to the beautiful lake there, before going on towards the Jaunpass, checking the road closed for the Tour de France signs, down the Col des Mosses, before reaching Aigle and the motorway back home.

We arrived back at around 19.00 after another full day. The Garmin showed 13 hours riding over the two days, split 405kms on day one, and 533 today. A good send off for the GT, a nice couple of days, good weather, more memories, and home to a house and bed that donít creak!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Addict-oholic

Question

Why are you retiring the GT ?

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2009, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

It's being retired, as it's an 06 model that's been extremely problematic.

Did a deal with the original garage to take it back as p/ex against a new '09 K1300GT. Collect it on the 24th!

Hopefully this one will give years of reliable and enjoyable riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:33 pm
Addict-oholic

I did the same. I went from a 2006 to the new 1300GT. So far, no problems and it rides so much better. You will love this new bike....

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode