Where would you go? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2009, 1:16 am Thread Starter

Where would you go?

Alright, it's like this. I've got this new-to-me K1200GT and managed to threaten my business partner into getting a week of vacation for the last week of July. The GPS is ready. The gear is probably ready. I reckon I'll find out if the bike is ready.

I'm not ready.

Where do I go? I'm starting from San Jose and thinking about heading into Oregon and Washington, but I don't have a clue about where to go once I'm there. So I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm going to stay in hotels because I'll still need internet access. (Yeah, a working vacation. Go figure.) Also, I don't like camping, unless you consider camping to be getting drunk on patios. Then I'm all over it.

So where would you go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2009, 9:32 am
Addict

Its hard to pick when your already in paradise eh?

wife just came back from biz travel to san jose, she loves it up there (she's in santa monica)...said she could take san fran pretty easily too

i've always wanted to do this 400+ mile loop somewhere up in WA I think it is, there is supposed to be a german theme town along the way, etc, i think the road is up near 9k feet...

was looking at that for a mountain bike trip years ago but one day, I'll do it on the bike since i never got there on the bicycle.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Where to?

try this search on the i bmw site...republic rally.. its in a little western town of republic washington with what i think are some of the best rides any where...hwy 20 is fantastic...into sedro wooley on the west...beautiful views and great roads..the republic rally July 25th, is hosted by the washington bmw club...im hoping to be there from canada...and get drunk camping on the hotel porch..

kbikeinbc
07 crystal grey met
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2009, 1:51 pm
Noob

You've got a major problem !! Try this. First thing in the morning point that Beemer North. Go North along the coast until you can't go any further. Turn right at the border, go East to Glacier National Park. On the East side of Glacier turn South head for Red Lodge Montana. From Red Lodge head SSW over Cook Pass and into Yellowstone Nat'l Park. Visit the Lower Falls in Yellowstone and walk down to Inspiration Point (a must). Head South out of Yellowstone and go to Jackson, Wy. While in Jackson, Wy. go to the Silverdollar Cowboy Bar and have a cold one. Head South out of Jackson to Western Colorado and Grand Junction. Take RT 550 South to Durango. Take a ride on the Narrow Gage Railroad. From Durango head SW to the Grand Canyon. Now it's time for Vegas, thru Death Valley and Home.
Pack light, leave the GPS at home. Experience the real pleasure of living in America. Talk to people along the way. Buy socks, underwear and local tee shirts at Wallmart. Take your credit card and live totally FREE as long as you can.

Just a thought !!
[I][SIZE=3]

86' Honda Elite250 Scooter
08' Ducati Hypermotard
91' BMW R100RT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Excellent ideas. After spending some time looking at a map I'm going to try to hit Banff. I've always wanted to go there and I suppose now is the time.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 8:15 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcrook
Excellent ideas. After spending some time looking at a map I'm going to try to hit Banff. I've always wanted to go there and I suppose now is the time.
Don't forget your Passport!

Mack
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:28 am
Would rather be riding

So many options! North, for sure. Up the coast or up the Sierras, both are great. 299 in Northern CA (goes from Eureka to Redding) is worth a detour, I think it might be the best motorcycle road on the west coast. Coastal and central Oregon both offer lots of interesting places to ride too, for example I really enjoyed the bit from Medford to Crater Lake last summer. And you'll find amazing stuff in Idaho, Northeast of Boise for example. The Canadian Rockies are awesome if you've got the time to get up that far, head from Vancouver up to Whistler and then connect to the transcanadian highway at Kamloups.

About a month ago I did a 9 day circle through the area. You can read all about it here.

Google maps is great for finding good routes. Enter the general places you'd like to visit, then you can just drag the lines around to set up more scenic routes. Switch to terrain view and pick the roads that go through the dark and bumpy parts!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 5:39 pm
Addict

This was a 2 day trip for me...

This should be part of your trip. Note when you get up to Happy Camp (2nd image upper left corner of route) , you can head up into Oregon on some very isolated roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weekend.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	10727   Click image for larger version

Name:	weekenddetail.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	10728  

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2009, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Looks good. Going to try to add those roads to my route. Thanks!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

While my original plan was to ride up to Banff, the excessive heat in Oregon and Washington caused me to cancel that. Instead, I ended up riding up to Seattle on US-101 North, US-199 and I-5 then coming back via the coast on US-101 South to avoid the heat. Covered 2100 miles in 4 days, with the longest day being about 640 miles.

The Oregon coast is just amazing, even when stuck behind a couple RVs. Luckily, there are several passing lanes to get by them.

500 miles on a bike is a long day. I started to have knee discomfort and my ass really took the brunt of it. The cruise control was a lifesaver on the slab, while the heated grips and seat, as well as Gerbing heated jacket all helped out when the temps dropped to around 59F. Temps peaked around 103F when riding through Mendocino County.

Trying to stay hydrated was a constant challenge. Next time I'm taking my Camelback and planning much shorter days. I need to be more of a journey person and not focus so much on the destination.

Next time I'll also pack more gear from Exofficio to save space.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode