Over 10 hours, and four major passes on the new GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 8:31 am Thread Starter

Over 10 hours, and four major passes on the new GT

07.30am.

It's early, damned early, but Mark and his two week old K1300GT, and me and my two day old K1300GT, are up and on the road. The original plan had been to ride to the Gorges de Verdon, but I wasn't convinced it wasn't too far, so we are on one of my alternative Plan B routes. The new plan is to ride down the Route Napoleon to Gap, as it transpires that neither of us have ridden this road for years, preferring the more scenic alternative route to the west of Grenoble via the Col de Croix Haute.

Coffe stop just outside Grenoble.

The new GT is running well at the 4000rpm limit I'm running it in at, and both of us are enjoying the scenery and roads on this famous route. Descending into Gap we headed towards Embrun and on towards Guillestre and Queryas, where you wind through spectacular gorges on tight and twisty roads and through narrow tunnels.

After Queryas we headed for the Col d'Izoard. I was here with Sue only a month or so earlier, but it's still as spectacular second time round.

I have the flags of the countries I've toured in on the bike ( can't get them for Bosnia, Slovenia and Croatia) and they're always a great conversation starter. Both Mark and I had interested Italians come up to us and ask about our GT's, seems there aren't many in Italy!

Lunch at the Refuge Napoleon with great food and the constant soundtrack of bikes racing their way up to the summit!

From the Izoard to Briancon and the Col de Montgenevre where we passsed a massive old castle but were frustrated by single file traffic and few overtaking places.

At Susa we crossed into Italy and the Col du Mt Cenis. A great pass but the Italian locals are MAD!!!!! Several times we rounded bends to find Italian sports bikes on our side of the road racing downhill and we ascended. The view at the top however was fantastic.

Here's Mark clearly enjoying his bike and the atmosphere.

After a break to admire the scenery and low level clouds we were off again, taking a coffee break at around 05.00pm in Lanslebourg Mount Cenis.

Refreshed and still with hours riding to come and the final col of the day to come, the Iseran at 2770M.

It's been years since I've been here and had forgotten how good it is.

Over the Iseran, past the dam at Tignes and down into Bourg St Maurice, before the fast roads to Albertville and few kms of motorway back home.

Arriving at 10.20pm, we had been riding (GPS confirmed) a total of 10 hours 18 minutes, covering 688kms, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. The new GT performed flawlessly, and is already run in, with 1161 kms on the clock after only 3 days of ownership! Better running in than the 12 was with 30k on the clock, I'm really pleased with the bike, and Mark and I had a great days riding as this wonderful summer continues to allow long days and great tours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:05 pm
Enthusiast

WOW, You certainly are lucky to have views and roads like that to enjoy! Thanks for the taking the time to post. Nice to see the bikes perform as they should...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:19 pm
Addict-oholic

What a fantastic day and fqantastic photos. It brought back memories of my trip thru the Alps in 1992 on a K75.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 6:47 pm
Enthusiast

Nice ride and pics. You sure have nice riding on that side of the pond.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 6:18 pm
Noob

Alpinebiker, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and am very envious of your adventures! I'd like to plan a trip to see the Alps with my wife next summer. Probably about 10 days. We have toured quite a bit in the states and prefer being on our own. I'm 54 but still full of desire to ride...I have recently switched from on 08 GT to an 09 (too good a deal to pass up). Not to mention there is a major difference in the ridability between the two bikes. I'm indifferent about where to fly into and rent from. I'll want a K1300GT. Is there a route you would suggest? A starting point? Reputable rental? Special hotels, etc... Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode