Planning a cross country - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

Planning a cross country

A group of us have started looking into a x-country two week trip around mid Sept. shipping the bikes out, starting in San-fran then to Tahoe , or Reno then heading east to Mass. for most of us .
Any suggestions ? There must be a rider that has done something like this and has written a book ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 7:25 pm

did it last august

Last August I went from San Diego -> Toronto Excellent Trip. I think my liver has finally recovered and some of the details are fuzzy!

Day1, San Diego -> Reno

Day2, drank heavily with friends

Day3, Reno -> Salt Lake and drank with nonMormon friends. I cut across highway 50 and did some cool roads that eventually got me on I-15 towards salt lake

Day4, Salt Lake -> YellowStone, cut along the snake river into JacksonHole. I camped in yellowstone, which has freakin awsome roads. You are going through during the peak of tourist season, expect LOTS of traffic once you hit Grand Tetons (45mph limit for 150miles)

Day5, Yellowstone -> Sturgis, wake up as earily as humanily possible and I choose not to drink that night, which was a good idea. The roads in yellowstone are absolutely excellent and free of tourist (and rangers, but still carry your detector) at the crack of dawn. Once out of yellowstone travelled through Big Horn Nat. Park and towards Devils Tower. Stayed with friends outside of Sturgis. This was the best section of the trip - HUGE FAST SWEEPERS, with no troopers in sight!

Day6 - Sturgis -> Milwaukee or someplace 1000 miles East on I-80, might as well complete an Iron butt... there is nothing in between South Dakota and Wisconsin except for about 10,000 lakes. Ride Fast and take chances... careful about the troopers, they are running radars and hiding like little devils. I had a terrible crosswind/headwind that brought my milage down to ~33mpg!

Day7 - Rest and drink heavily with friends in Milwaukee.

Day8 - Milwaukee -> Cincinatti, stayed with friends and drank heavily again. Expect LOTS of tolls!

Day9- Cincinatti -> Pittsburg, stayed with friends and drank heavily for the third night in a row. I will need to get back to work and detox! Looked at a map and try to stay off the main highway. I had fun hiding from a local cop that burned a u-turn, just keep your eyes open. The roads are hilly with lots of curves.

Day10 - Pittsburg -> Niagara Falls, meet with my running club (hash house harriers) and continued to drink.

Day11-14 Niagara Falls -> Toronto, continued to drink the entire time.

Day15-18 Toronto -> Chicago -> Denver -> Las Vegas -> San Diego, Detoxed while riding

Day19 Detoxed, replaced liver, and rested before going back to work!

Let me know if you want to want more detailed routes and highways.

ONON-
Mark
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:06 pm

Cross Country

Live in Jersey, my wife and I had our bikes shipped to BMW San Francisco..great guys, free of charge, call ahead. Flew in, picked up the bikes, and got on to rt 88 East towards, Lake Tahoe. Camped, twice around the Lake, headed South to Yosemite....sweet. Check out the guys on www.pashnit.com you will pick up some great tips on what roads to hit in California. Continued South, Sequoia National Park(great twisties) and of course most of that Sierra Mountains region is incredible, it's hard to find a bad motorcycle road.Continued heading South, wound up crossing the border into Mexico, down to a little town called Rosarito...worth the visit. Now came back heading North, hugging the coast, Coronado, San Diego, needless to say the Pacific Coast Highway is the Shiznit...criss crossed over to Calaveras Big trees National Park, back over to PCH 101..Morro Bay, Monterey, Hearst Castle,Malibu...(these might be out of sequence) Bodega Bay,incredible roads, and scenery...al the way up to the Avenue of the Giants..Redwood Forest...cut over to Shasta Lake..then hit rt 80 East and slabbed it home. Total of 6000 miles... roughly 3000 of them inside the state of California..Stopped in Nevada,Utah,Wyoming,Nebraska,Ohio,along the way...Salt Lake City is really beautiful. Gonna head out again soon, hit different spots, I wouldn't try to squeeze too much into 2 weeks, figure out what destinations are a must, and then go for it. Also depends on how many miles you are looking to do per day. Have fun, hope this helps.

Christian
05 K1200S Yellow/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2005, 8:27 pm
Addict

Smile

What ever you do make sure you do southern Utah. Don't miss Dixie, Zion & Bryce NPs. Try to do Teton and Beartooth Passes on your way to Glacier NP. Go up the coast to WA try to catch the lazer light show on the Grand Colee dam. Oregon's coast raod is slow going. Try the 100,000 foot run in CO. See the bats at Carlbad Cavern, at dusk, 5 million of them. Once you leave CO then head for Deals Gap, Cherola Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Skyline drive to DC.
As you pass through Memphis we'll eat real BBQ and I introduce y'all to Elvis. He's doing fine!

Thanks
Robert

2014 R1200RT Ebony Black--(deep Burgundy)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (traded for 2014 R1200RT see above)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (Traded for exact same bike, see above)
2004 R1100SA "Piedmont Red Metallic" (Traded)
2002 K1200RS BLACK (Traded for RT)
2000 FLTRSEI "Screamin Eagle, Triple Red" Gone but not forgotten.
1999 FXR3 "Green Flame" In the Garage
1998 K1200RS "Taxi" (sold)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 8:50 pm
Enthusiast

Smile

Hey sbK12rs, when you leave San Francisco on I-80, take US 50 from Sacramento to Tahoe. Nice ride. From Tahoe go to Carson City, Nv, then take US 50 all the way across Nevada, this is the lonliest highway in America, then on to Utah. Fantastic scenery.
I used to live in Sacramento, been that way many times, now in Virginia.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 8:07 am

Do not forget the Texas Hill Country Roundup in April and the Pre THC in Alpine, Texas.
If you have not been before, treat yourself to alot of enjoyment.

K12 get together for the 5th year
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 1:00 pm

When you get to SF

We will hook up and I'll show you some interesting roads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode