Planning a trip to the Alps 2010...continuing... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2009, 6:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Planning a trip to the Alps 2010...continuing...

Planning for 2010 trip for wife and me is progressing. I'm trying to lock in a bike from Motogreek in Munich. I had exchanged several emails working out the details but now can't get a hold of them (email or phone). I'll give it till the first of the year...then I'll switch to another rental company if I have to. My second choice will be rental in Thun.

Our travel dates are depart Dulles 30 June, 1st July sleep day, 2nd July pick up bike and let the fun begin. I've booked the last three nights at Edelweiss Resort (11-13 July). Our route will take us clockwise through the Alps. I'm looking for 2 other locations to base day rides around. One will probably be in the Dolomites (near if not in Bolzano). I'll be going as far south as the French Rivera and then cutting back east/north.

Would still like to hear from others first hand knowledge of Penions and/or B&B experiences, along with ride routes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:31 pm
Telepathetic

Have you tried contacting Edelweiss about renting? I seem to remember they rent bikes sans the tour.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2009, 6:38 am Thread Starter
Noob

Trust me, I've contacted all the rental companies I can find. Fortunately, I heard from Motogreek yesterday and the bike is reserved. Now for the rest of the planning...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2009, 10:41 pm
Telepathetic

Glad to hear you got yourself a ride. The Alps are pretty amazing. I have to say the Alps are the best riding I have ever done. Certainly some of the most technical when dealing with the switchbacks. Take lots of pictures.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:42 pm
IBR# 366

My wife and I spent 3 weeks running around the Alps a few years back. We didn't use a tour operator and never had any trouble finding decent accommodations and great food. The GPS did help there though.

Be sure to pick up a copy of Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps by John Hermann. It is a fabulous resource for motorcyclists, and you can really build up the excitement level by doing some pre-planning in the evenings before your trip.

And take lots of pics so you can share on your return.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2010, 9:21 am Thread Starter
Noob

Ken, thanks for the advice. There will be another couple joining us on our journey this year. I got a copy of John Hermann's book a few weeks ago and have been spending a lot of time with it. I'ver ID'd two hotels that come highly recommended, Simonhof and Olympia Hotel.
You have to read Hermann's book with a bit of "tongue in cheek", e.g. he states all the hotels are reasonably priced, like Evaldo in Andermatt. $250-300 a night for a couple to decent accomadations is a bit too much for my me. Reasonable must be a relative term...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2010, 2:31 pm
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerT
Ken, thanks for the advice. There will be another couple joining us on our journey this year. I got a copy of John Hermann's book a few weeks ago and have been spending a lot of time with it. I'ver ID'd two hotels that come highly recommended, Simonhof and Olympia Hotel.
You have to read Hermann's book with a bit of "tongue in cheek", e.g. he states all the hotels are reasonably priced, like Evaldo in Andermatt. $250-300 a night for a couple to decent accomadations is a bit too much for my me. Reasonable must be a relative term...
we stayed in that hotel http://www.hotel-bergidyll.ch/ in Andermatt in September'09 - it has a lockable garage for the bikes at the backside. And the price was much less than 250 USD or SFR.
You may want to check that forum as well www.alpineroads.com.
General advise is - try to escape the highways and have fun!

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2010, 3:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Easyman, I'm getting a lot of my planning advice from that website. Don't get me wrong, if I have to pay that much to make mama happy then I will...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2010, 6:20 am
I'm riding

here is one more source of info - see the report, they published it on day-by-day basis
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=334

for me the main thing in the Alps is riding and scenery. Accomodation is secondary - they all are more or less the same. Just price differs - why pay more for one or two nights?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2010, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerT
We stayed at the Evaldo in early June 2009. Price was Euro 70 a room. Suggest you check direct.

Check out our website (see my signature) for a lot more information on riding around the Alps and Dolomites.

BMW K1200S
BMW HP2 Sport
Yamaha WR 250
www.bbot.co.uk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode