K1200 RS versus Deer = No Winner - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 4:24 pm Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Sabre2870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 55
K1200 RS versus Deer = No Winner

I thought I would share a riding experience I had with you. I am the only one who survived the event, the bike and the deer weren't as lucky. I live about 40 miles north of Tampa, FL and I ride to and from work. I travel via means of a toll road with a 70mph spped limit. I had just finished working and was on my way home. It about 6 AM I could see the first fingers of daylight off to the East and there was a thunderstorm coming in of the gulf of mexico to northwesr. I was about half way home and already thinking about crawling into bed and not wanting to get caught in the rain. I was in the left lane going around a gentle curve to the left traffic was very light. When all of a sudden a bomb went off. I never seen her until her face was only a foot in front of mine. She came out of the medium. I hit her in her right front shoulder. She busted through the front shroud and I thought she was going to take me off the bike but the momentum of the bike forced the rest of her body to wrap around the left side of the bike crushing my left leg between her and the bike. As quickly as she appeared she disappeared. At impact I was instantly coated in a warm fluid. As it was dark I did not know if it was blood or what (turned out to be oil the deer must have busted off an oil line from the front of the engine). After some hesitation I decided to pull the clutch lever in and the engine started racing. I left go of the clutch and it re-engaged. I pulled the clutch again and once again the engine started racing. I let go and it re-engaged. I fumbled around and found the kill switch which thankfully worked. I continued going straight while the road continued its slow curve to the left I wouund up on the right side of the burm. The pain in my left leg had me thinking that it was broken and I was afarid to try to put the kick stand down or get off the bike. A friend of mine who wrecked on a bike would have been a lot better off he had not tried to get up on what turned out to be a broken leg and wound up in a compound fracture and several weeks in the hospital and a limp that will never go away. I slowly gained the courage to try to move my leg and put the kick stand down and put little weight on my leg and got off the bike. I laid down on the pavement. Whle laying there with one car after another flying by it occurred to me that if I were lying in the road no matter how badly hurt I was I would need to get to the side of the road or the first car to come along would finish the job. After an hour of lying there the police and EMT's finally showed up. I got ahold of my wife and off to the hospital we went. It turned out my leg was not broken but deeply brusied. It took weeks for it to come to the surface and turne all kinds of nasty colors but eventually healed. It took several months for me to decide whether I was going to ride again but I eventually decided that I enjoy it too much and I now ride a 2007 K1200 GT. Considering wht the bike went through it performed marvelously. All of the first responders found it hard to believe that I had survived a collision with a deer doing 70mph and that I did not go down. They said that the outcome in these situations usually results in severe injuries or death. I give all of the credit to the bike. It absorbed the impact and allowed me to keep going. It never wobbled.I still look every time I go through that section of road and I have seen many more deer but so far they have kept there distance and I hope that they continue to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftFront2.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	11526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	11529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	11530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Snubber.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	11531   Click image for larger version

Name:	FuelTank.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	11532  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	11537   Click image for larger version

Name:	InstrumentCluster.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	11538  

Last edited by Sabre2870; Jan 23rd, 2010 at 4:29 pm.
Sabre2870 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 4:46 pm
Senior Member
 
guls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Greenville, SC, USA
Posts: 136
Glad you are ok...not many people are lucky.

Guls
2007 K1200R Sport
guls is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 5:01 pm
Member
 
Jeromy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Coldstream, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 109
Ouch.... I did the same thing back in'01 on a '99 YZ 400F. I was doing about 85MPH and hit a doe exactly the same way you did. My bike is only 225 lbs so I had no real momentum to keep it moving forward ( i was also hard on the brakes so the nose was diving ) so i got tossed. Rolled and rolled and twisted my knee and rolled and bruised and rolled.......... Stopped and said to my self.... " always wondered what that would be like...... now which way is up...." As soon as i tried to move everything hurt. I felt pretty good until then. Took 2 weeks till i could limp well enough to work, but like you I had no broken bones. And thank God for that! Just badly bruised. Sure takes a long time for those bruises to go away doesn't it. Anyway, the dear did the nervous twitch for a few minutes while blood poured out its mouth and the hole in its side where a rib tore thru..... Could have been me...... I was wearing a camel pack and it saved my back some SERIOUS rash. I had a camera in it so i told my brother ( who was right behind me ) to take a pic before he went for help. The picture is about 2-3 minutes after the crash and everything is where it lied except i am sitting on my ass instead of on my head. Lucky I didn't get tangled up in a bike and a dear tumbling down a road at 60+ MPH.....

Don't want to steal the show, but just thought i would share my similar story too .

Glad to hear you are ALIVE and that you are riding again. It only took me a month or two to brave my bike again. It cost me $32 for new bars and a tube of JB Weld for a leak in my RT rad, and my bike was ready to go..... its good to hear that a heavier bike will plow through a smaller dear..... I've seen it on YouTube as well..... not that I want to try it again....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3237.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	1,018.3 KB
ID:	11539  
Jeromy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 7:03 pm
Veteran
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Burton, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,648
Ouch, but glad to see it turned out OK for you. I've seen first hand what a deer did to my big Chevy Van, now I know what it could do to my bike....!

Almost makes me happy about the big cougar roaming around us lately, good way to clean up the deer population. No more pets in my compost however...Oh well...!

And a word of advice on deers: No honking at them, they may turn around and hit you, happened to me with my car. And if one jumps in front of you and you react by slamming both brakes on a linked system, you may not like what your bike will do. I did just that last summer , I guess hitting the rear hard somehow overrides the "Linking/abs" and may destabilize your bike. Old habits die hard...be careful!

And Deer Whistles....

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
H96669 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2010, 6:48 am
Veteran
 
BAK04GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Meredith, NH, USA
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre2870
I thought I would share a riding experience I had with you. I am the only one who survived the event, the bike and the deer weren't as lucky. I live about 40 miles north of Tampa, FL and I ride to and from work. I travel via means of a toll road with a 70mph spped limit. I had just finished working and was on my way home. It about 6 AM I could see the first fingers of daylight off to the East and there was a thunderstorm coming in of the gulf of mexico to northwesr. I was about half way home and already thinking about crawling into bed and not wanting to get caught in the rain. I was in the left lane going around a gentle curve to the left traffic was very light. When all of a sudden a bomb went off. I never seen her until her face was only a foot in front of mine. She came out of the medium. I hit her in her right front shoulder. She busted through the front shroud and I thought she was going to take me off the bike but the momentum of the bike forced the rest of her body to wrap around the left side of the bike crushing my left leg between her and the bike. As quickly as she appeared she disappeared. At impact I was instantly coated in a warm fluid. As it was dark I did not know if it was blood or what (turned out to be oil the deer must have busted off an oil line from the front of the engine). After some hesitation I decided to pull the clutch lever in and the engine started racing. I left go of the clutch and it re-engaged. I pulled the clutch again and once again the engine started racing. I let go and it re-engaged. I fumbled around and found the kill switch which thankfully worked. I continued going straight while the road continued its slow curve to the left I wouund up on the right side of the burm. The pain in my left leg had me thinking that it was broken and I was afarid to try to put the kick stand down or get off the bike. A friend of mine who wrecked on a bike would have been a lot better off he had not tried to get up on what turned out to be a broken leg and wound up in a compound fracture and several weeks in the hospital and a limp that will never go away. I slowly gained the courage to try to move my leg and put the kick stand down and put little weight on my leg and got off the bike. I laid down on the pavement. Whle laying there with one car after another flying by it occurred to me that if I were lying in the road no matter how badly hurt I was I would need to get to the side of the road or the first car to come along would finish the job. After an hour of lying there the police and EMT's finally showed up. I got ahold of my wife and off to the hospital we went. It turned out my leg was not broken but deeply brusied. It took weeks for it to come to the surface and turne all kinds of nasty colors but eventually healed. It took several months for me to decide whether I was going to ride again but I eventually decided that I enjoy it too much and I now ride a 2007 K1200 GT. Considering wht the bike went through it performed marvelously. All of the first responders found it hard to believe that I had survived a collision with a deer doing 70mph and that I did not go down. They said that the outcome in these situations usually results in severe injuries or death. I give all of the credit to the bike. It absorbed the impact and allowed me to keep going. It never wobbled.I still look every time I go through that section of road and I have seen many more deer but so far they have kept there distance and I hope that they continue to do so.
Close one! glad your ok...But you mean to tell me you did not have a get off after the hit?....that in its self is testament to your control and a stable bike...gives me a little hope in the future...
BAK04GT is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 10:48 am Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Sabre2870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Close one! glad your ok...But you mean to tell me you did not have a get off after the hit?....that in its self is testament to your control and a stable bike...gives me a little hope in the future...
I stayed on the bike for another 400 yards or so and slowly eased the bike to the right shoulder. My left leg hurt so bad I thought it was broken so I did not want to do any more damage to it. I sat on the bike for a while with my right leg on the ground whiile I decided whether I should try to put the kickstand down. After it seemed that no one was going to stop and try to help I gingerly put the kickstand down and dismounted the bike from the right dragging my left leg over the bike and supporting my weight with my right. I immediately laid down behind my bike and waited fro help to come.
Sabre2870 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 1:22 pm Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Sabre2870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 55
Glad to hear you are ALIVE and that you are riding again. It only took me a month or two to brave my bike again. It cost me $32 for new bars and a tube of JB Weld for a leak in my RT rad, and my bike was ready to go..... its good to hear that a heavier bike will plow through a smaller dear..... I've seen it on YouTube as well..... not that I want to try it again....
I wish that I had gotten away so cheaply! Progressive totalled my bike and then came to my house to look at my helmet, gloves, and boots. All which were covered in oil. They cut me a check for 7300 for my K1200 RS and another 1100 for my gear all of which was only a week old. They treated me very well. I spent a couple of minths decideing if I wanted to ride again and kept looking on Ebay for another bike. I finally decided that I wasn't going to let one unlikely event keep me from doing something I love. I found a 2007 K 1200 GT on Ebay in Mass for 12000. I flew up from Tampa looked at the bike and it only had 2200 miles on it in perfect condition. I handed them a cashiers check and my first time back on a bike I rode 1700 miles in 3 days back to Tampa FL.
Sabre2870 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 8:33 am
Noob
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Trilby, FL, USA
Posts: 2
I bet you were riding on the Veteranís Expressway.
A couple of years ago I hit a buck (5 point) with my truck going South on 275 into Tampa.
I travel into Tampa via I75, pre-dawn almost every morning, and see doe often.
In April I came within inches of tagging one on 441. They are everywhere in Florida.
Glad to hear you survived. Thatís encouraging.
I sure wish deer whistles worked.

Don
Grit is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 9:21 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL,
Posts: 138
Glad to hear you are ok. Hit a deer in the car years ago. That was no fun either. Your post reminds me I should mount the deer whistles on my bike. I had a hunter friend pick up a pair of deer whistles for me last season on one of his trips to the store. Meant to install them just haven't done it. I think that will be part of this weekends agenda. Not sure if they really work or not but worth trying.
AugWest is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 6:23 pm
Veteran
 
BAK04GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Meredith, NH, USA
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugWest
Glad to hear you are ok. Hit a deer in the car years ago. That was no fun either. Your post reminds me I should mount the deer whistles on my bike. I had a hunter friend pick up a pair of deer whistles for me last season on one of his trips to the store. Meant to install them just haven't done it. I think that will be part of this weekends agenda. Not sure if they really work or not but worth trying.
don't waste you money ...Its snake oil in hard plastic
BAK04GT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K1200 R and S air box parts compatibility Titanium5 K12/1300R/R-Sport 22 Jun 2nd, 2014 6:45 pm
Hit by deer; the bike didn't go down drb K12/1300S 8 Dec 5th, 2008 1:17 pm
Hit Deer on K1200GT - Now what? KCD911 Bike Talk 35 Nov 8th, 2008 11:46 am
BMW's K1200 R voted Motorcycle of the Year 2005! LOCUS K12/1300R/R-Sport 13 May 20th, 2007 10:01 pm
GT versus Deer r2k2 K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 13 Jul 2nd, 2006 4:32 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome