A follow-up story to K1200 RS versus deer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2010, 2:10 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

A follow-up story to K1200 RS versus deer

I thought that I would post this story as a follow-up story to my K 1200 RS versus deer story. First things first. Progressive was great. They paid me a fair price for my bike and covered all my gear within 36 hours after the accident.
After much deliberation I decided that I was not going to let that deer keep me from doing something I enjoy, besides what's the chance of it happening to the same rider twice! I started searching for a new bike on Ebay, Craigslist, Cycletrade and my local dealers website www.bmwrides.com. I received a total of $8400 for my bike and gear and I really didn't want to go much over that but quickly found out that a new generation K 1200 GT wasn't going to come that cheap. I looked for months I knew every bike on every website. I ran into a couple of scams on www.oodle.com. Had to move because of their jobs, blah, blah, blah. Just send the money and will ship the bike back from overseas, a bunch of crap. If it seems to good to be true...
After months of searching I finally found a 2007 GT with only 2200 miles on Ebay that had been listed, expired and then relisted. The owner said that if they couldn't get 12000 for the bike they would trade it in on a car. I contacted the owner and we made arrangements. I worked all night... I'm a mechanic for Southwest Airlines...I jumped on a plane in the morning and flew from Tampa to Boston, the guys wife picked me up at the airport and drove me to her house where I first laid my eyes on the most beautiful bike in the world. I handed her a cashiers check and for the first time since my accident with the deer I threw my leg over another bike. I rode 500 miles that day from Boston to Erie, PA to my dads house where I collapsed. I got up the next morning and rode from Erie, PA to Sumter, SC ( about 700 miles) I made as far as West Virginia before I got an EWS message. I switched to the other key and it worked and I continued on my way. It rained nearly the whole way. Every time I stopped to refuel I would get the EWS message and it was getting harder and harder to get the message to go away. I finally made it to my cousins house after 16 hours on the road. I got up the next morning and started the final leg back to Tampa. I made it as far as Jacksonville when I could no longer get the EWS message to go away. I was still 3 hours from home. I called my wife and told her to load up the trailer and come get me. After 2 hours of sitting in the gas station the bike finally decided it would allow me to continue on my way. I called my wife who was on her way and I told her I would meet her in Waldo, FL which is where we met in the middle of a downpour and I drove my truck with my new bike in tow the rest of the way home.
The final part of this story happens two weeks after I got home, got the EWS message fixed and was settling back into my normal routine. I went to work and parked my bike in the employee parking lot on the center stand. At about 5 AM one of my coworkers who was just coming in to work for dayshift asked me if I had ridden into work. I said I had. He said that there was a BMW motorcycle laying on its side in the parking lot. I thought it couldn't be mine, but it was. I called the police and they came out and took some pictures and told me that I would have to go to their office to file a report, which I did. After reading my report the officer who was assigned my case said that I shouldn't park the bike on the center stand, that stand he said is a maintenance stand and that my bike probably blew over in the wind. I told him that I was already sick to my stomach and that this was not the time to lecture me. I told him that I believed that someone had hit my bike. I went home and by the time I got there my wife told me that the officer had called and wanted me to call him. I called him at about 9:30 AM and he asked me if I had transferred the registration to FL and I told him that I had at a cost of 780. I then called Progessive and told them what happened and they said to take the bike to the dealer and they would send someone to look at it. The damage came to 3500. There was a hold up in payment because unknown to me the bike had been previously dropped on the same side with only 200 miles on it resulting in nearly identical damage and Progressive wanted to get a hold of the dealer in Maine to make sure that it had in fact been fixed and that they were not paying out again for previous damage. After they confirmed that the bike had been repaired they once again were very fast in making payment. Now keep in mind that I am only paying about 200 a year and between the K1200RS getting totalled by the deer and now the GT getting knocked over they have paid out nearly 12,000. I could keep motorcycle insurance for the rest of my life and I will never pay back as much as they have paid out in the past 6 months. Now for the final part of the story. Two weeks later I decided to get a copy of the police report just for laughs as I was sure they weren't really looking and I hadn't heard from them. I checked with the parking lot management and asked them if they had looked at the tapes from the video cameras in the parking lot and they said that they hadn't looked at them yet I then went over to the police office and asked for a copy of the report and they told me that I hadn't officially requested a copy and that I would have to do that first and then it would be another 3 days before I could pick it up. So I put in my request and 3 days later I went to pick it up, they looked for it and couldn't find it so I gave her my name again and she told me an officer would be right out to talk to me. An officer came out and she told me that my report had been cancelled because a lady had come forward at 10:30 on the day of the accident and admitted she had hit my motorcycle and she gave me a copy of that report. The driver of the car who had hit my motorcycle was cited for improper backing and failure to leave their information or contact authorities at the time of the accident. Now keep in mind that the police called me at 9 AM to check and make sure that I had transferred the registration and I'm sure that I would have been given a ticket if I hadn't but they couldn't be bothered to call me an hour and a half later when the lady turned herself in after thinking about those parking lot cameras I'm sure So the next morning when I got home I called Progressive and I asked them about the state of my claim and they told me that the check had been issued and that the dealer had ordered the parts and that as far as he was concerned my case was closed. I told him not so fast. I told him that I had a copy of the police report in my hand that proved my motorcycle had in fact been hit and did not just fall over. He said that he was happy to hear that and asked me to send him a copy of the report so that the reclaim department could use it to get there money back from State Farm! I asked him how he knew that the person who had hit my bike had State Farm insurance. He said that he had talked to the investigating officer the day of the accident ( obviously after the lady had turned herself in). So I asked him when they were going to let me in on the little secret. One- so I would know for a fact that I hadn't done anything wrong by parking it on the center stand and two - when was I going to get my deductible back! :phone call and if I hadn't called I'm sure that they would have sent me my deductible. I'm glad that I followed up and that my bike is back in one piece but if I hadn't neither the police or my insurance company was going to let me know. Moral of the story watch out for yourself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRight Bag damage2.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	11554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Forward fairing damage2.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	11555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Brake lever damage.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	11556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right lower fairing damage.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	11557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side damage.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	11558  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 8:04 am
Rookie

Wow when it rains it pours for you.. Glad to see everything worked out for you and you are back on 2 wheels..

09 K1300GT
06 K1200R (sold)
05 R1200GS (sold)
99 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode