Finally-first ride of 2010! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2010, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Finally-first ride of 2010!

The 9th December was the last time I was out riding!.Itís now the 29th January, and 41 days without throwing a leg over a saddle was proving difficult to bear. I had been tempted to ride a few times recently as the snow had gone from the roads, but it has still been very cold. After watching the temperatures barely struggle above zero, I seized the opportunity as todays temperature was actually above zero!

The thermometer showing a heady +2C degrees and despite the snow flakes which had been drifting in the wind all morning, I succumbed, and got ready to get out and ride. After checking the tyre pressures, and donning several warm layers, I finally set off for my first ride of 2010.

Once out of the garage the temperature had quickly dropped, the positive temperature of a few minutes earlier quickly dropping to zero, then to -0.5C, and finally to -1.0C, but bizarrely, it was at least 5 minutes or so later, before I remembered that I had heated seats and grips, and quickly switched them on. How do you forget something like that?

The further I rode, the heavier the snow started to get. I wasnít cold though, just concious of a strange set of feelings I was having being back in the saddle again. Initially the roads seemed ok and surfaces not too bad, but as I headed towards Gex they seemed to have less grip. Mini roundabouts were taken in speedway style with one leg out in case it started to slide, and I hadnít remembered the noise levels from the screen round my Arai GP helmet as being so loud. Stopping to take a photo or two, the pinlock visor insert sudenly stopped functioning and my world fogged up, requiring a visor up position to allow better vision, fortunately the tall screen kept most of the wind out of my eyes.

Check out what looks like mud on the fairing side, thatís driving snow!

Still plenty of snow in the fields!

Worried about the onset of a blizzard, and sensing that the roads were not going to give great grip, I decided to head for home. In all I rode a massive 24kms! Hardly worth getting togged up for you might think, but physcologically Iíve now managed to get that first ride of the year under the wheels, got the chance to write a few bits of prose, and post a couple of pics. Not very exciting, but reminds me why I have a bike.

Back at home, and now I've just got to clean it, as soon as the snow stops!

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours

Last edited by Alpinebiker; Jan 29th, 2010 at 8:31 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:44 am
Rookie

S1000RR test by non super sports freak

Well you know that already Paul, but me too had my first 2010 ride this morning :

I just test drove the S1000RR this morning.

The weather is cold (0įC) but dry so not the best conditions, roads are a bit slippery. I never owned a super sports bike therefore I don't know how to use one.

I went through rain mode at the start of test (the town bit) , sport and race modes in the country side on rolling roads. I can only comment as a comparison basis vs my K1300R and due to the conditions, I couldn't ride the twisty mountain road for the cornering.

The first thing that comes to mind is the ergonomy: when I got on the bike at first (just off the K13R) the position felt a bit cramped (I'm 1.85m) but after 5 minutes it feels so natural you get to wonder if it wasn't custom built. The seat feels a tad higher than the K13R (probably a couple of cm). The handling is just superb, very precise and extremely agile (I felt just like on a bicycle so to speak).

Engine : rain mode offers plenty of confidence for cold (slippery) city riding and to be quite honest, there is more than enough power for that kind of driving. Sport and Race modes with full power : impressive power delivery - brain has a slight tendency to hug back of the skull. The exhaust works well to give a great sound.

The mirrors are well designed and correctly placed: there is no need for elbow gymnastics to use them.

The breaking power is astounding (again compared to the K13R that already has outstanding braking capabilities) yet very easy to manage.

This bike is a natural: it really gave me a ton of confidence (which I didn't expect from a category of bike that I am not familiar with) with excellent road feedback, great steering precision. Really easy to place it exactly where you want it in a curve.

The clutch cable was catching a bit, it may be that it needed a bit of oil or maybe the cold. Other than that, just perfect.

The KR felt a bit sloppy after the S1000RR ride (it still has tons of torque though)!

I guess the next step will be to learn to use it on a track ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode