Trip to SW Missouri Northern Arkansas - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2010, 4:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Trip to SW Missouri Northern Arkansas

Planning a camping trip this summer to SW Missouri and Northern Arkansas. Would appreciate your knowledgeable tips about roads not to miss, great campgrounds, one of a kind bars, and good eats.

Dennis Wilson
Buffalo Grove, IL
04 K1200rs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Try this:
http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/motorcycling/

That whole area is nice. You might enjoy Eureka Springs.

Bill

2006 K1200R
Loud brakes save lives!
Harley Davidson (noun) -The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effect of horsepower.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2010, 6:17 am
Addict

You are in for quite a trip my friend! Hwy 7 is wonderful and the pigtail runs down the western side of the state starting in Fayatteville? AK seems to take very good care of their roads and you have some nice elevation changes when you get near the redneck grand canyon.

The difference between AK biking and the blue ridge is that the AK cycling has broader sweepers that seem to go on for ever. The tail of the dragon area is tighter turnwise but overall better. Just one rider's humble opinion. I'd ride either in a heartbeat and hope to do them both this summer.

Lots of smokeys out there patrolling so mount a detector if you haven't.

Wishing you tons of fun,

Gravity

2007 K1200 Sport -- Ev0 Filter x 2 -- Fire Breathing Dragon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2010, 9:05 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
This months Road Runner Magazine has a nice clover leaf tour in northern Arkansas

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2011, 9:30 am
Noob

Call Harrison, Ar chamber of commerce, they have a brochure w/ several rides on it, 'Jasper Disaster' 'Bull Shoals Dam, Peels Ferry Route ect.

Watch the 10 mph curves on the Pig Trail.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2011, 6:55 pm
Enthusiast

Last weekend riding in that motorcycle playground..

1. It rained. It rained a lot.... but I rode the ride and did the route and was rewarded by magnificent roads and scenery. Perhaps the best technical riding roads I've ever encountered when the clouds broke and the sun shone.

2. The people of the Ozarks are friendly and helpful, even as the flood waters are rising.... and the waters are rising still. My record for rainy Ozarks vacations remains intact.

3. Dieting in the Ozarks is hard to do.

4. Even the best rain gear eventually gives up the ghost in the face of heavy thunderstorms. At times I rode thru 8-10" deep water as the roads became rapids.

Roads were sometimes flooded to a depth of 6 or more feet, causing rerouting - often substantial rerouting.

Route - Hermann - Thayer road - wonderful route. Route 160 West to Branson - nice. All riding in Arkansas was great - there were no bad roads in that Northwest/Northcentral area I rode. Route 142 East out of Thayer is a rollercoaster... until it ends at a flooded section (See above). Route 160 East out of West Plains is perhaps my favorite section as it eventually ends up at Doniphan. Wow - I was exhausted with sore knees at the end of that section. Route 21 North is nice, but not as nice at the Hermann - Thayer road.

I WILL return - perhaps this fall. Magnificent countryside and top notch roads.

Thanks to every single person who opened my eyes to this great riding region - it's all good.

Beemer01

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT

Last edited by Beemer01; May 1st, 2011 at 7:02 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode