Iron Butt 50 CC - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2010, 4:03 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Iron Butt 50 CC

I just finished the Iron Butt 50 CC ride. The ride consists of riding from coast to coast in 50 hours or less. I left my house in Tampa at 7:30 AM and rode to Jacksonville Beach. I found the police station that was located closest to the ocean in my BMW Motorad III GPS and got an officer to annotate the time and date, along with his badge number. (A requirement of the ride.) Then I went to the ocean and dipped my toes. Then I went to the closest gas station and filled up, saving my receipt (also a requirement of the ride) I eft and got on the road a 11:47 AM. I made it to Sulphur, LA by midnight and I could go no further. I got a hotel room and slept until 5 AM. I was back on the road by 6 AM. I continued the next 880 miles across Texas only stopping for fuel approximately every 250 miles. I made it to Gila Bend, AZ and I drank one of those 5 hour energy drinks. Wow! I'm glad I did the next part of the ride proved to be the most challenging. The temps dropped into the 30's and the winds were unlike anything I've ever experienced!! I was nearly dragging knees and could barely stay on the road from the force of the winds!! I was beginning to think that I was never going to make it out of the mountains! The GPS said that I only had 30 miles to go but it was no where in sight and the fuel gauge said that I had less than 10 miles of fuel left!! I was happy to stop in Alpine, CA. My last stop before the Pacific Ocean. I made to the Ocean around 5:30 AM Dipped my toes in the Ocean and found the closest police station where I again got a police officer to annotate the time and date along with his information. Finally I found the closest gas station to get my final receipt which concluded my ride. All told it took me about 46 hours to make it across the country. A lot of people have asked me why I did it and the simple answer is that it has given me a sense of accomplishment and will be an experience that I will remember the rest of my life.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2010, 8:00 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Congratulations.

So, what's next ? A four corners ??

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2010, 8:46 pm
Rookie

50 Cc

These are always fun, I am looking forward to doing one soon....

46 hours rocks

Stefan
04 K1200GT

It's All about the Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2010, 1:48 am Thread Starter
Rookie

50 Cc

I actually have a few rides still planned for this year. My wife and I are riding down to Ft Lauderdale, FL in a couple of weeks. 300 miles down and 300 back, then the following day its up to South Carolina a 450 mile trip one way. Then in July my wife and I are going to Dayton, Ohio for a class reunion about 800 miles each way. Then in August if the "Tail of the dragon" is open a friend and I are planning on doing a little carving.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:22 pm

Congratulations Rick, You did the ride I've been wanting to do. Thanks for posting.

Ray
04 GT
BBG1500
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 11:07 am
Rookie

WOW! Congrats!
How long did it take you to get back???
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2010, 3:21 am Thread Starter
Rookie

50 CC Ride

A friend of mine bought a 2000 K1200 GT in California. He works in California and lives in Florida. I told him that if he bought the bike that I would ride out to California and ride back with him. So I used the opportunity to knock out a few things in one trip. I did the 50 CC ride on the way out. I got to visit with an old Air Force buddy who still lives outside of Edwards AFB and then to answer your question, we took 4 days to get home. My friends bike got a flat tire and my low beam headlight burned out. Other than that the trip went as planned.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2010, 10:21 am
Rookie

Thank you for your service to our country! I spent 19 years in the Army (15 1/2 active) Sounds like quite a trip! Congrats, again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode