Coming to America - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2010, 4:57 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Coming to America

I have a couple of regular riding buddies who I try and do at least one major ride each year with.
We had been speculating that next years trip would be to New Zealand, get hire bikes and spend two weeks doing the South Island.
Over several glass's of red wine the other night i suggested that we should keep flying east and maybe do the east coast of the U.S.
The proposal was warmly recieved and now its about looking at the logistics and locations.
We would probably be on the ground for 3 weeks and at this stage we are contemplating the east coast possibly from New York - south.
Can any of you guys point me in the direction of any good blogs or threads that might educate us a little as to the pro's and con's of different routes.
All of us hate slab riding so if we can avoid highways and pick up as much picturesque sweeping and twisty stuff as possible will be our preference.
If anyone can help us in recommending a good hire firm it would also be much appreciated and if there is one that can arrange a one way hire that would be perfect.
We are thinking maybe late Spring or early Autumn.
Thanks in advance.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Addict

Hi Andrew, if I were you I would strongly consider Skyline drive, Blueridge Parkway, and Tail of the Dragon. I know you said East Coast, but you also said no slabs, and that's about all you will get on the East Coast is I95, no fun at all. Sounds like a great trip coming your way

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...eridge+parkway

You should search these sites for info:

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/
http://www.i-bmw.com/?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php
http://www.bmwmoa.org/
http://www.dealsgap.com/
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
http://www.jupitersnyc.com/

If I wasn't going to Yellowstone Park via Beartooth pass next year I would go with you mates. If you need anything in NY say the word.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Last edited by 2008-K1200GT; Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:53 pm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2010, 8:06 am
Enthusiast

I agree with 2008-K12GT Skyline Drive, the Blueridge Parkway, and Deals Gap aka Tail of the Dragon

I would recommend reading up on that one a good bit before hitting the throttle. It's got a bit of a reputation...

If you find yourself in Richmond let me know I'll buy you a beer (after your ride ).

Ride safe and enjoy your trip,
Carey

"I am a Cafe Racer myself on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2010, 9:04 am
Telepathetic

You should have another couple glasses of vino and consider riding the west coast. California offers some of the best riding in the country. There are lots of quiet winding roads in the Sierra mountain range. You can start a day in the mountains and watch the sunset on the coast. And if you tire of California, Utah and Colorado are in the neighborhood.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2010, 1:01 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
You should have another couple glasses of vino and consider riding the west coast. California offers some of the best riding in the country. There are lots of quiet winding roads in the Sierra mountain range. You can start a day in the mountains and watch the sunset on the coast. And if you tire of California, Utah and Colorado are in the neighborhood.
^ This ... plus you'll save about 10 hours of flight time round trip on an already long flight.

James

06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

02 WR250F Stock

99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2010, 2:57 pm
Veteran

I live in California, so I would like to see you come here, but both are good suggestions. Either way, you will have a great trip.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2010, 5:39 pm
Addict

No offense to the left coast, but maybe they want to see New York City. I've been out to California many times, and no insult intended here but LA ain't Manhattan.

MOA Member #106320
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2010, 2:13 am Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks everyone for the tips so far.
Yes, saving 5 hours each way is attractive however there are a number of cities that came up the other night that more or less put us on the east coast.
I have done Manhattan before but hey im not sure you can ever over do it. I dont think my buddies or their handbrakes have been there.
Im a big Chicago fan but its a little out of the way if we do NY and want to get down the coast in 3 weeks, maybe?
The riding along the coast road on the west side has a lot of appeal too but we can only do so much in 3 weeks.
Great info so far guys, thanks.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2010, 5:41 am
Addict

Manhattan to the Shyline drive which leads you into the Blueridge is only a days ride. We usually stop overnight at Front Royal Virginia have a good nights rest then right on to skyline drive.

MOA Member #106320

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode