Trip to Europe - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Smile Trip to Europe

Just booked a flight for my son and myself to go to Europe in July for two weeks to see the moto GP at the Sachsenring and after that rent bikes to ride in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. I'm planning to include the Grossglockner, Brenner, Ferner, Reschen and Ofenpass on our approximately 1700 mile trip.
Can't wait for July to get here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 6:54 am
Enthusiast

Sounds like a great trip scuba.I'm sure you guy's will have a wonderful time.Been wondering where you been,hadn't seen you here lately.I'll be looking for you at the European riders rally this spring. Later.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Have fun

Sounds like a great trip!
Maybe I will go to the Alps in June with al couple of friends!
As we say to one another in skydiving: blue skies!
Have fun!

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Hey Eddy,

Haven't had much time to spend on this forum lately, got our house ready so we can list and hopefully sell it. Since I haven't played golf in about three years, my wife had the idea that we don't have to live on the golf course anymore plus she wants a smaller house.
Plus we got hit at the end of last year going on a weekend camping trip. A lady in a Jeep talking on the phone hit our 5ft wheel head on and totaled our camper and her Jeep. Nobody got seriously hurt, the only bad thing was that she screwed up our weekend and didn't carry any insurance at all.
Hope to see you at the rally.

Peter, you don't have it as far to the Alps as I have. If you would go in July, we could hook up together.
My grandmother used to live about 1 mile away from the German - Netherland border. I don't remember the name of the town anymore since it has been about 40 years ago, but I still remember going with my grandpa across the border to buy cheese, eggs and of course something sweet for me........lol
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Buy this book

Scuba,

Get this book by Herman!

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=3753

It was a valuable book for both, planning my trip and having it along for the 15 days I rode the Alps! Some say this is a trip of a lifetime...most are right. For me, it was the first time! The second time, it was a trip of a second lifetime! Looking forward to my third venture with as much anticipation as my first!

Enjoy!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks flyboy,

ordered the book last night.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:38 am

Hello Scuba, congratulations! You picked some nice mountain passes in Austria and Italy. However, when you are going to do the Reschen pass you are near to the Stelvio (or Stilfserjoch) and the Rombo pass. these two are high and demanding passes. The Stelvio has 49 switchbacks and reaches 2758mtrs or over 8000ft. It does take some nerve, because the maximum protection are some pieces of rock beside the road, placed some 15ft apart. From Holland, where I live, it is some 700miles to these mountains. I took the trip twice and will go back in another year. You will see a lot of Dutchmen, Germans, Italians and Swiss on this trip. http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...MaHomePage.htm can show you maps of this region. If there appears a green line next to the road on the map it means this part is of outstanding beauty.
If you want some more pictures, let me know.
BTW: in picture dolomiten 037.jpg you can see the switchbacks in the valley far away.

Hope you can use the info!

kind regards,
Frits van Straten
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolomiten 037.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1422   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolomiten 061.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1423  

regards, Frits.

If you can laugh at your own stupidities, you have fun all year round!
BMW K1 '91 for sports, BMW K1200RS '03 for touring, Honda CB750K '80 for winter.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 7:51 pm
Enthusiast

Scuba,sorry to hear about the accident,good to hear everyone is OK.It's a shame she had no insurance.Take care and be safe.See you this spring if not before.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Hello Fritz,

Thanks for your advise, I took allot of those roads by car but never attempted it with a motorcycle. This will be my first trip back to the alps in about 10 years and I can't wait to show the mountains to my son. I know we will have a great time, I just hope he will take my advise and take it easy around those curves.
I'll post plenty of pictures when I return.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2006, 5:08 am
Addict

Well, just to add a couple cents to Frits' recommendation:

The Stelvio is actually great, but I would recommend Gavia after that, at least if the atmospherical conditions are good - landscape is breath-taking. Just keep in mind that both - and I'd feel like including the Rombo that Frits mentioned - are wonderful in the right atmospherical conditions, but can be a real pain in a cold/rainy day. Trust me, last time I've been there was last august - rain, mist and 5C. A perfect definition of "misery" - opt for a tour of Merano or somewhere in Val Venosta if the sky isn't promising.

Given that you're riding Switzerland, I'd strongly recommend considering a ride over Sustenpass and Neufen. Motorcycling heaven if there's ever been one.

Have fun,

Edoardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode