My left arm is so tired and sore - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2010, 7:40 pm Thread Starter
Addict-oholic

My left arm is so tired and sore

My left arm is so tired and sore from waving at all the bikes riding in the opposite direction today.

It seems that every person who owns a bike in the stae of Connecticut was out riding today in perfect temps of 65 to 79 degrees with bright sunshine and great cumulus clouds in the sky.

I joined Cliffs BMW of Danbury, CT with 22 other bikes with riders of all ages and sexes.
Yay for the several women who ride their own bikes as well as pillions

Over 100 miles on twistys and backroads made for a super enjoyable day and a wonderful lunch at the White Horse Pub in Marbledale, CT.

For me the day was over 200 miles getting to the startup and coming home from lunch all on backroads.

Still basking in the glow of what riding is about !!!

Do I have to wave at Harleys and/or helmetless riders??

No pictures, as we only stopped for a short fuel and coffee break before lunch.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 3:29 pm
Noob

Wink hogg riders

here in bonnie scotland harley riders are a happy bunch and wave to everyone (that drives a harley !) and no one else ! us bmw riders are looked down on as we pass them in there viking helmets and leather waistcoats and sometimes if you look in your mirror you can see them waving with 1 finger as they spit my dust out . i wouldnt be offended if they dont wave to you as doing 2 tasks at the one time can be pretty hard for
some people.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 5:44 pm
Addict

Use your right arm or stop touching yourself there

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2011, 11:49 am
Noob

OK so it has been a year since this thread had any activity but it touches on a subject where I need enlightenment.

Been riding a BMW K12GT for two years now. I am willing to wave to anyone. Notice that a significant percentage of H-D riders appear to disdain the wave. I perceive it to be that a German marque ridden by a guy wearing full gear including modular helmet is not to be noticed and deemed worthy. My bike also makes little noise so perhaps they don't hear me.

Gold Wings are friendly, 2 up H-D riders are generally friendly, even sport bikes we might acknowledge one another, but a lot of CT H-D riders, which is a place that I pass through a lot, seem to be way more cool than I am, even though I am riding farther and often faster than they are. Is that how it is?

Eat dessert first.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2011, 1:19 pm
Enthusiast

Start using your left hand to pleasure yourself to build up muscle.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2011, 6:03 pm

The first few warm spring days, every biker waves. Later we get choosey. Let's face it, my big square headlight and white full-face helmet immediately identify me as a lesser breed to the bare-knuckle crowd...hence no wave. The whole should I or shouldn't I wave decision gets tiresome...I'd rather just ride...so I keep my hands on the grips unless the other guy initiates the wave. Don't even look for it, watch the road ahead, if someone salutes you'll catch it in your peripheral vision.
Steve
1990 K75RT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2011, 9:59 am
Veteran

Come to Canada....contrary to most US Harley riders, up here they don't wave and if you do wave at them, most times you'll get a scowl.

I guess they don't know about all the miles I have put on riding with some of them or.......how often I had to fix some of them bikes.

Blew past a V-Rod not long ago, after he tried to show off his "power".......sure did get a scowl from him once he caught up......at the ferry.

Then more scowls because I got to the gas station first and was occupying the better(and only) spot next to the pump, and some impatient loud pipe noises too. Relax buddy.....things go at their own pace in the boonies.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2011, 10:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
Come to Canada....contrary to most US Harley riders, up here they don't wave and if you do wave at them, most times you'll get a scowl.
Just had a nice trip down to the Black Hills of South Dakota near to HD Mecca, AKA Sturgis. Lots of Harley Pilgrims in the area even though it was weeks after the Great Sacred Pilgrimage itself. Very few waved at us. The ones who were most likely to were soloists with no other pilgrims to witness their heathen behavior of waving at a pair of infidels on BMWs. Not once did a larger group of riders bother to wave except occassionally the last in line, probably thinking the leader up front would not notice and thus force them to do penance - possibly something as awful as riding with a helmet on . In their defence, the roads were very narrow and twisty and it likely required a concentrated effort and both hands to rein in their mighty steeds and herd them through the corners even at the very low posted speeds (which they seemed afraid to exceed judging by the ones we inevitably ended up being stuck behind - very respectful of the laws those types). They would seldom even break their concentrated glare straight ahead to nod or acknowledge our existance in any way whatsoever. They are so diligent about keeping their focus on the task at hand (as would I if my head was exposed to the threat of being split open at any moment on the rocks or ashphalt should one have a momentary lapse of focus - those helmets really do make us a reckless bunch). We still waved even though it sometimes required removing a hand from the bars while cornering, an obvious death defying feat of riding at 35 mph. I'm sure that deep down in their hearts they apprieciated our gesture and were warmed by the feeling of comraderie with their fellow riders.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode