They call me Sanchez - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2010, 9:03 pm Thread Starter
Noob

They call me Sanchez

Well, my introduction is a ride tale, so I guess I'll just leave this here.

My name is Matt, and I'm a die hard Buell fan, but I just picked up my first BMW. I got a good deal on an 07 K1200GT in Tampa, FL and flew down to pick it up yesterday morning. I couldn't pack all my gear in my carry on bag, so I boarded the plane wearing Alpinestars race boots and a Joe Rocket jacket. I felt a little over dressed, but I figured if there were terrorists heading to Florida with me, I could at least kick them really effectively. How do you say, "Please remove my toe slider from your mouth" in Arabic, anyway?

The owner met me at the airport and took me to his house, where I exchanged cash for the bike. The weather was beautiful, and I rode north for Atlanta with a smile on my face. Here's the first place I stopped for gas:

Unfortunately the blue sky didn't last. I brought overpants and a Frog Toggs jacket with me because the forecast called for "scattered storms" in GA, but I had no idea what I was in for.

About an hour south of the GA/FL border, I rode into a massive thunderstorm. The rain was cooooold, and between the water on my visor and the fog on my glasses I couldn't see much of anything. I pulled off at Jennings, the last FL exit, to take a break. There's a race track there I've ridden a few times, and you can usually hear bikes off in the distance from this spot. The racers are apparently smarter than I am, though, because none were out that day.

The rain slacked off enough that I could see for the next couple of hours, and I made it to Perry, GA before it really dumped on me again. I stopped at another gas station there to warm up for a bit and put on more clothes. I made such a wet mess that the clerk brought out a mop and starting cleaning the floor reproachfully. I found a $10 bill on the floor, though, and that cheered me up.

If that gas station had been a hotel, I probably would have just stayed there. The rain lightened up some, though, and the clerk was giving me the evil eye, so I swam back out to the bike and hit the road again. Another three hours of frigid rain brought me almost back home, and I capped off the trip in true Atlanta fashion with a bumper-to-bumper traffic jam.

Five lanes of I-285 were closed right at my exit because of an accident, and the last mile was dead stopped. By that time I'd been riding for eight hours and soaked for five of them, and I felt really, really cross with the world. I was too tired and cold and wet to give a crap about other drivers, so I jumped over onto the shoulder and rode it all the way down to my exit. For the first time in hours I was glad to be on a motorcycle.

Finally home, I had near terminal prune hands:

But I had a K1200GT in my garage, so it was alright.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:29 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Well, look at you all freshly washed

The pruney hands are a nice touch.

Glad you made it home without any real issues.

Welcome to the site.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 8:01 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Talking

Nice post! Very nicely done!

My first Beemer was a new 1977 R100/7, purchased in Savannah, Georgia. The shop owner said, "No, it's not going to rain". Just as soon as I got to the Savannah bridge it turned into the worst rainstorm I've ever seen in my life, and I grew up in northern Texas. I had to ride the bike all the way back to Beaufort, South Carolina, with my young son on the back, through the worst rainstorm I've ever seen to this day. My son still talks about that ride, and not with fond memories.

It was a cool bike though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 1:05 pm

What's the circular dial on the left side of the bike above the clocks on the dashboard?

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 1:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks, guys.

Alpine, that's the display for a radar detector. It has a laser jammer too. I didn't find the detector too useful on the trip home for the simple reason that it's impossible to hear at highway speeds.

- Matt
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 2:53 pm
Noob

thats not rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Thanks, guys.

Alpine, that's the display for a radar detector. It has a laser jammer too. I didn't find the detector too useful on the trip home for the simple reason that it's impossible to hear at highway speeds.
hi sanchez, thats just normal weather in my home country of scotland ! its even been snowing up north in the last week
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 4:06 pm

Illegal to have a detector let alone a jammer in France! 1500 fine and confiscation of the unit.

Luckily fixed radar placements are available off to download to your GPS unit off the net, but the mobiles will still get you as I found out last year!

Enjoy your new ride, looks in nice condition!

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2010, 4:11 pm
Enthusiast

Thanks for the great report and photos. I really enjoy these types of posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2010, 6:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam
hi sanchez, thats just normal weather in my home country of scotland ! its even been snowing up north in the last week
My ancestors came from Scotland. One of these days I'll fly over there and experience it for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinebiker
Illegal to have a detector let alone a jammer in France! 1500 fine and confiscation of the unit.
Yikes! So far there's no national law against them here, though they are illegal in a handful of states.

- Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode