Saddle Sore 1000 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:32 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Saddle Sore 1000

I started gathering info and planning routes about 6 weeks ago. After talking with several members and getting their advice and reading the Iron Butt website I felt I was as prepared as I could be.

I should have made a checklist of the advice to make sure I didnít forget anything. One of the guys I work with decided he wanted to go. He rides a HD and has several years of riding experience. I forwarded him all the information and links I collected and assumed (mistake 1) he read through everything. We talked a couple of times about the trip, but we never actually sat down and had a formal meeting about specifics (mistake 2).

For the first part of the ride, I planned to ride about 2-3 hours and then stop for gas. I wanted to keep the stops short, about 10-15 min max. I wanted to push hard at the start of the ride while we were fresh because I knew we would be tired in the later part of the ride and we would be able to take longer breaks if necessary.

A Rocky Start

Looking at the weather, I knew it would be chilly at the start and then warm up. The start temp was approx. 55 degrees and I was wearing a Tourmaster Centurion suit (without the liner) and was very comfortable. I need to invest in some better gloves for cooler riding though.

The morning of the ride we were supposed to meet at the Valero (gas station) in King George at 0600, Ron got there about 10-15 min late. He was getting ready to gas up and I reminded him the receipt shows the official start time and he needed to get his witness form filled out. He had no idea what I was talking about, so I asked him if he went to the websites and looked at anything he admitted he hadn't. Luckily, I'm a little OCD about some things so I had extra copies of the paperwork and gave them to him. Then he wanted to grab something to eat and talk. We actually didnít get rolling until almost 0700. (See mistake 1 & 2)

Last edited by eaglefrq; Oct 14th, 2010 at 11:43 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:32 am Thread Starter
Rookie

We took Hwy 3 to Fredericksburg and stopped to get a receipt before heading south on I-95. Ron was taking his time and I mentioned we needed to get rolling because we had 2-3 hours of riding before the next break. Ron told me he wanted to stop every 45 min and take a 15 min break. We compromised on 90 min between stops. (See mistake 2)

We headed on I-95S and then took 295S around Richmond and then picked up 95 again. We stopped in Smithfield, NC for lunch around 1115. The temps had climbed to the mid-70ís, so I changed out of the suit for my jacket.

We stopped about 33 miles from the GA border because something seemed off with my trip meter. I showed we traveled over 500 miles at that point, but that didnít seem right from what I remembered when planning the route. I used my GPS to calculate driving directions from our current position back to the start point. It showed we had only gone 488 miles. I didnít look at the route it calculated or I would have noticed it used a different way back to the start point. Based on this info, we continued to Point Wentworth, GA another 38 miles and then stopped for gas and turn around. If I had printed the route and brought it with me then we wouldnít have gone the extra 76 miles roundtrip. (Mistake 3)

The return trip was the same route back, so it was uneventful. Unfortunately, because we didnít push it at the start of the trip and take shorter rest breaks, we ended up pushing it really hard on the trip home. The closer we got to the end point, the harder it was to get back on the bike after the fuel stops. We finally got back to King George around 0230, so the trip took approx. 20 hours.

The only problem other that the sore butt, was the pain across the backs of my shoulders. I anticipated the pain in the butt, but not the shoulder blades. Iím not sure what caused this, my bike has pullback risers and I did raise the seat to allow for some additional leg room.

If anyone has suggestions about the cause of the shoulder pain I would appreciate it. Also, I think I may have to change to an aftermarket seat.

Lessons Learned:

1. Make checklists and follow them. Donít rely on your memory.
2. Always talk with any riding partners before hand on riding time/break times. I had the advice before hand, but because we didnít sit down and go through specific items this was just assumed. I made several comments about pushing hard at the start, but never discussed times.
3. If your partner can't/won't ride the same lengths/times as you, find a different partner or go solo. Once we started and found this out it was too late. Yes, I could have left him and gone solo, but thatís not the right thing to do.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:53 am
Addict

Yuor #3 lesson learned is top in my book. And I would have left him. He should have understood your commitment to this and NOT slowed you down.

Congrats on the ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 9:52 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefrq
We stopped about 33 miles from the GA border because something seemed off with my trip meter. I showed we traveled over 500 miles at that point, but that didnít seem right from what I remembered when planning the route.

The only problem other that the sore butt, was the pain across the backs of my shoulders. I anticipated the pain in the butt, but not the shoulder blades. Iím not sure what caused this, my bike has pullback risers and I did raise the seat to allow for some additional leg room.

If anyone has suggestions about the cause of the shoulder pain I would appreciate it. Also, I think I may have to change to an aftermarket seat.

3. If your partner can't/won't ride the same lengths/times as you, find a different partner or go solo. Once we started and found this out it was too late. Yes, I could have left him and gone solo, but thatís not the right thing to do.
Congratulations on completing the 1K! That's quite an accomplishment. I thought the last time I saw a post from you on this that you were going to head west, to Knoxville and back, so obviously you changed the route. I'd be interested in your reasoning for that, as I intend to complete the SS 1K myself in the Spring.

I get the same type of pain in my shoulders and back that you experienced when riding the K13. I also had some pain in my wrists. That particular ride was from Alexandria to Asheville, NC, so about 500 miles. At the time of that I had the stock handlebars and seat on the high position. What I found is that I was slumping my shoulders forward, I think because of the slightly leaned forward seating position. I had to really concentrate on keeping my back straight and shoulders back, which would alleviate the pain. I'm 5'11", so maybe I sit higher in the seat, but can't say for sure. I can tell you that when my wife rides the GT she does not experience the same thing. She is 5'9". We have added Suburban Machinery handlebar risers, set on the highest position, since then. Haven't had a chance to test that on a long ride yet, although shorter rides indicate less of a problem.

We always ride until we have to stop for fuel, so close to 200 miles, depending on speed. I find that if I take about 4 Advil at every gas stop after the first one it keeps the pain at bay.

We will be sending our seat to Russel Day-Long in 2 weeks, so we're hopeful that will make a real difference also. We got in on a 20% off deal and have heard nothing but good reviews about their seats.

I commend you for not leaving your partner. That's the great thing about motorcycles, you can't actually reach over and choke your riding partner until you stop, and by then the feeling usually passes. Of course, that's because you're focused on your ass hurting so much.

Jamie

2011 BMW K1600 GTL (Silver) on order
2010 BMW K1300 GT (Blue) Her's
2008 H-D FLHTCU POS (Black)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 1:57 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbartlett
Congratulations on completing the 1K! That's quite an accomplishment. I thought the last time I saw a post from you on this that you were going to head west, to Knoxville and back, so obviously you changed the route. I'd be interested in your reasoning for that, as I intend to complete the SS 1K myself in the Spring.

I get the same type of pain in my shoulders and back that you experienced when riding the K13. I also had some pain in my wrists. That particular ride was from Alexandria to Asheville, NC, so about 500 miles. At the time of that I had the stock handlebars and seat on the high position. What I found is that I was slumping my shoulders forward, I think because of the slightly leaned forward seating position. I had to really concentrate on keeping my back straight and shoulders back, which would alleviate the pain. I'm 5'11", so maybe I sit higher in the seat, but can't say for sure. I can tell you that when my wife rides the GT she does not experience the same thing. She is 5'9". We have added Suburban Machinery handlebar risers, set on the highest position, since then. Haven't had a chance to test that on a long ride yet, although shorter rides indicate less of a problem.

We always ride until we have to stop for fuel, so close to 200 miles, depending on speed. I find that if I take about 4 Advil at every gas stop after the first one it keeps the pain at bay.

We will be sending our seat to Russel Day-Long in 2 weeks, so we're hopeful that will make a real difference also. We got in on a 20% off deal and have heard nothing but good reviews about their seats.

I commend you for not leaving your partner. That's the great thing about motorcycles, you can't actually reach over and choke your riding partner until you stop, and by then the feeling usually passes. Of course, that's because you're focused on your ass hurting so much.
Thanks.

Originally I had planned to head west to Knoxville, but a friend recommended the southern route because there would be less receipts needed since you will stay on 95 the whole way. It made sense, so after looking at everything I decided to change the route. I went over it several times, but still made a mistake on the distance.

I need to do something about my seat. I saw the Air Hawk system, but I don't really know anything about them. I'm still researching them. It seems all the seat builders are on the West Coast. To bad there isn't someone on the East Coast that I could do a drive in appt with. From looking at the different seat makers, I'm thinking about a BIll Mayer seat. I looked at the Russell seat also. I need to contact Bill and ask a couple of questions. I think the thing that turned me off about the Russell seat is the additional charge for the heated seat. I didn't find anything on either Bill or Rocky Mayer seats about an additional charge.

I did notice I was slumping forward. I didn't think about that until your post. I may lower the seat to the original position and see if that makes a difference. It can't hurt.

I know some people disagree about leaving him, but I couldn't do it. The only way that would have happened would be due to a mechanical breakdown or if he decided to quit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2010, 8:03 am
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks.

I need to do something about my seat. I saw the Air Hawk system, but I don't really know anything about them. I'm still researching them. It seems all the seat builders are on the West Coast. To bad there isn't someone on the East Coast that I could do a drive in appt with. From looking at the different seat makers, I'm thinking about a BIll Mayer seat. I looked at the Russell seat also. I need to contact Bill and ask a couple of questions. I think the thing that turned me off about the Russell seat is the additional charge for the heated seat. I didn't find anything on either Bill or Rocky Mayer seats about an additional charge.

I did notice I was slumping forward. I didn't think about that until your post. I may lower the seat to the original position and see if that makes a difference. It can't hurt.

I know some people disagree about leaving him, but I couldn't do it. The only way that would have happened would be due to a mechanical breakdown or if he decided to quit.
I've tried the Air Hawk, but wasn't impressed. I know that everyone has a different opinion about these things, but it just didn't do anything for me. I still have it. If you're interested in trying it, I'd be glad to lend it to you. If you like it, just pay me whatever you think it's worth. We're not far apart, so it should be easy enough to get it to you.

If you already have a heated seat, there's no charge to keep that from Russell. That's what we're doing with ours.

Jamie

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2010, 10:56 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbartlett
I've tried the Air Hawk, but wasn't impressed. I know that everyone has a different opinion about these things, but it just didn't do anything for me. I still have it. If you're interested in trying it, I'd be glad to lend it to you. If you like it, just pay me whatever you think it's worth. We're not far apart, so it should be easy enough to get it to you.

If you already have a heated seat, there's no charge to keep that from Russell. That's what we're doing with ours.
I might have to take you up on the loaner for the Air Hawk. When is a good time to meet up? Weekend, weekday? You can PM me with best times, etc... and we can set something up.

I must have mis-read the Russel site. I thought it showed heated seats were extra. I guess that means if you want to add them. Now I'm gonna have to look at Russel again.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2010, 5:19 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
Yuor #3 lesson learned is top in my book. And I would have left him. He should have understood your commitment to this and NOT slowed you down.

Congrats on the ride.
Way to go, Clay! In my opinion, Clay did the right thing by staying with his riding partner.

I would not abandon a riding partner, unless there was a clear understanding up front, before the start. If the ride isn't working out, then you discuss how to make it work out and have a fun ride together. You might change the goal, or face the fact that the ride will take longer than originally planned and stop if you become too tired to be safe. You can always do the SS1000 another day, alone or with a more suitable partner. How would you feel if something happened to your partner far from home, and you weren't there to help? How would you face his/her family?

Yes, it is true that the partner should have had an understanding about Clay's commitment, and Clay should have done more planning with his partner (as he admits), but once the ride starts you are in it together.

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Oct 17th, 2010 at 7:16 pm.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2010, 8:51 pm
Veteran

Good for you man....glad you completed everything OK.

But rule #3....yup. In 25 years or so of riding I have yet to find any one that I would enjoy a real long haul with. Meeting up for lunch or a quick ride yeah. But for any kind of distance there's just few folks out there that do it. Let alone do it the way you want.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 9:59 am
Rookie

Quote:
I might have to take you up on the loaner for the Air Hawk. When is a good time to meet up? Weekend, weekday? You can PM me with best times, etc... and we can set something up.

I must have mis-read the Russel site. I thought it showed heated seats were extra. I guess that means if you want to add them. Now I'm gonna have to look at Russel again.
I sent you a PM, Clay.

Yes, it's extra $$ if you want to add heat to a seat that isn't already heated, but no cost to retain an OEM heating system.

Jamie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode