Deals Gap - Jan. 12th - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Deals Gap - Jan. 12th

Just back from a ride across the Cherahaulass Skyway and Deals Gap.

Ran across a little ice on the road on the N. Carolina side of the Skyway - Nothing too bad,
but I was really ripping it up on the Tennesee side when all of a sudden I saw it...oops, time to slow down.

About a dozen bikes up at Deals Gap today...some crazy old man on a KTM 525 Super Motard was flying through there, but using both lanes - not sure how he's lived that long.

My K1200S did pretty well up there...surprised a couple of the sportbike riders that routinely do track days. The front end up came up a few times, getting on it, exiting uphill curves...hey where'd my steering go?

Anyway, a very nice break from ol' man winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 5:07 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
Just back from a ride across the Cherahaulass Skyway and Deals Gap.

Ran across a little ice on the road on the N. Carolina side of the Skyway - Nothing too bad,
but I was really ripping it up on the Tennesee side when all of a sudden I saw it...oops, time to slow down.

About a dozen bikes up at Deals Gap today...some crazy old man on a KTM 525 Super Motard was flying through there, but using both lanes - not sure how he's lived that long.

My K1200S did pretty well up there...surprised a couple of the sportbike riders that routinely do track days. The front end up came up a few times, getting on it, exiting uphill curves...hey where'd my steering go?

Anyway, a very nice break from ol' man winter.
You live in motorcycle heaven. Enjoy the weather while you can.

Pete

02 Kawasaki KLR 650
00 BMW K12 RS - RED!... (do I have to say it?)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 6:43 am Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 5:34 pm

I know the old man, he is over 60 and probably one of the 10 fastes guy's on the gap. I've never seen him use both lanes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 6:21 pm
Rookie

I'm in Alabama. I can't wait for my time off and the weather to coincide so that I can head out to the Cherohala and Deal's Gap.

My Avatar is from last summer when I had a VFR.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Quote:
...some crazy old man on a KTM 525 Super Motard was flying through there, but using both lanes - not sure how he's lived that long.
I know that guy too - not his name but I rode with him. Met him on the last overlook and then we ran the Foothills Parkway together. I learned a LOT following him and I was following him with an ever increasing distance as he ran away form me. That ole man was absolutely AWESOME! On the gap he held one of the straightest lines I have ever seen and he never even got close to the center line.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 8:44 am

Quote:
...surprised a couple of the sportbike riders that routinely do track days.
You'ld be surprised how often I've done that on a KR. These bikes really handle well on the street and the roll on power is teriffic.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:43 am
Noob

Deals Gap

Why do you torture us northern riders like this I won't get any of my bikes out of the garage for a while yet with the snow, ice and salt on the roads. Enjoy the riding
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2006, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennisa
Why do you torture us northern riders like this I won't get any of my bikes out of the garage for a while yet with the snow, ice and salt on the roads. Enjoy the riding
Yeah, but when we have several months of near 100 degree/95% humidity days in the summer you can taunt us with impunity.

Jerry

'06 K12S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode