ever have a no crash, no breakdown bad day on the bike ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2011, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

ever have a no crash, no breakdown bad day on the bike ?

I sure did yesterday. I planned to go to Monterey for the night and took time off from work, I went up old San Marcos road, took the pass to Foxen Canyon rd. and was enjoying myself, my plan was to cross Santa Maria and take Hi. 1 to Monterey. About halfway through Foxen Canyon road I made a mistake and took a corner too fast, no crash and the bike easily handled it but it was beyond my comfort zone, a few more corners and I take a completely wrong line and end up in the oncoming traffic side of the road, luckily I never even saw another car the entire length of Foxen Canyon. A few corners more and I am going into a corner way too hot and instead of braking gently I slam on the brakes hard enough to kick the ABS. I also hit gravel because I stayed too close to the right side of the road on a few corners. Now this is a road I drive 4-5 times a month I know this road and I am making mistakes all over the place.

I get into Santa Maria and I stall the bike at the first light, I have not stalled a bike in near forever, next light I stall again but this time I know why, I was trying to take off in 3rd gear from the light, I never went back to first (don't know why I stalled the first time I was in 1st).

I am not feeling good about my riding and instead of continuing I take the 101S to get back home, on the freeway I find myself coming up on cars so fast that I have to brake to not hit them and I wait until the last second to hit the brake, it was like I was seeing the car coming but it was not registering until the "oh poop" moment, I could not wait to get home, my wife was surprised to see me at home and my co-workers surprised to see me at work today.

I can't explain it, I did not feel sick, I was not tired/sleepy, I felt fine, good weather, great bike and as far as I know I was not thinking about the price of tea in China, I just was not paying attention to my riding. This morning I was feeling good on the bike again and damm it, stalled it again at a light. Been riding since the mid-1970's and I can't remember something like this, its like I was not on the bike, at least my mind certainly was not...I only put 150 miles on the bike and I was glad to be off of it. Going to try again tonight but this time with the wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Gonna try it again tonight w/your wife...riding pillion? Sheesh.
Well I've had some days where one mistake seems to build up to another. Your confidence takes a blow and suddenly you're thinking way too hard about every little thing and the mind/body synchronization that you've developed w/your bike is gone...temporarily. Best thing is to take a day off the bike, then go for an unchallenging ride that your are very familiar with. It'll all come back to you.
Last year on a nice bluebird day I pulled off the tarmac on a quiet road onto a gravel pullover. Was going perhaps 4mph when my front tire went onto the gravel. Familiar w/the area, this type of pullover is common and usually no problem. Oops...the gravel was much softer than expected and the front tire dug in. Since the handlebars were already angled to my right I had a slow motion tank slapper. Got my foot down but my boot sank in the gravel, too, and slowly the bike and myself went down. No damage but boy did I feel stupid (feel free to chime in, you know who you are). Anyway, the rest of my ride home was tentative and not enjoyable at all. I think it happens to all of us once in a while.
You'll be fine.
Cheers
Steve
1990 K75Rt
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2011, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac829
Gonna try it again tonight w/your wife...riding pillion? Sheesh.
Well I've had some days where one mistake seems to build up to another. Your confidence takes a blow and suddenly you're thinking way too hard about every little thing and the mind/body synchronization that you've developed w/your bike is gone...temporarily. Best thing is to take a day off the bike, then go for an unchallenging ride that your are very familiar with. It'll all come back to you.
Last year on a nice bluebird day I pulled off the tarmac on a quiet road onto a gravel pullover. Was going perhaps 4mph when my front tire went onto the gravel. Familiar w/the area, this type of pullover is common and usually no problem. Oops...the gravel was much softer than expected and the front tire dug in. Since the handlebars were already angled to my right I had a slow motion tank slapper. Got my foot down but my boot sank in the gravel, too, and slowly the bike and myself went down. No damage but boy did I feel stupid (feel free to chime in, you know who you are). Anyway, the rest of my ride home was tentative and not enjoyable at all. I think it happens to all of us once in a while.
You'll be fine.
Cheers
Steve
1990 K75Rt
I'm with Steve - why tempt fate? Park the bike for a day or two and live to ride another day when your head is clear... I make it a point to not ride if I'm not 100% mentally prepared but in your case I think I would've turned around after the second loss of "normal" riding focus and grabbed a bear in the recliner!

We all have bad riding days where we lose our edge but man - sounds like you're lucky to be alive or at least standing...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2011, 8:08 am
Veteran

I am waiting to hear from Mike, so that we are not left wondering if he (and his wife) got through the rest of the day unscathed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2011, 12:35 am Thread Starter

I made it just fine the next day

My daughter jokes I must have a had a stroke while riding and that is why I could not concentrate, no worries I did not

I just don't understand what happened, I make mistakes on the bike and get over them, I usually don't make dozens on the same day so I was not paying attention which is why I turned around and went home the straightest way I could. Friday was a pleasant ride again, wife was pillion telling me when I went too fast (never) and when I went to slow (quite a few times).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2011, 3:05 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr
I was not paying attention which is why I turned around and went home the straightest way I could.
Smart move there. Sounds like you had plenty of warnings that things just weren't right. Sometimes you just gotta call it before something terrible happens. The road will still be there tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr
I made it just fine the next day
And that's what it's all about.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode