Pacific Coast Hghy. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2012, 8:34 am Thread Starter
Noob

Pacific Coast Hghy.

If I ride the PCH in late May/ early June Will it still be in the rainy season ?
What type of temps are usual ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2012, 9:05 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

The PCH goes a long way, and maybe you could give us a little better idea of where you want to ride... even which state. I'm in Southern California, and "rainy season" doesn't mean the same thing to us that it does to you. February is on average the rainiest month, but generally that means there might be a few days of off and on rain showers. May and June there might be a day or two of rain, but it won't be much. June gloom is actually a pretty good month to ride. You should always have your rain gear if you're going long distance, but you probably won't use it in sunny southern cal. Daytime temps in the 70's and 80's then. Nights in the 50's and 60's.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2012, 2:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ridin' the PCH

My intended ride would take me North of San Fran. up the Oregon coast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2012, 3:27 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Ah, OK. I've been up that way and it's a beautiful ride, I envy you that. But I haven't been there in years and I'm not the one to offer weather advice for that area. Maybe someone else who lives there can chip in.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2012, 5:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

PCH, North.

Thanks, Chuck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2012, 6:53 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaho5
If I ride the PCH in late May/ early June Will it still be in the rainy season ?
What type of temps are usual ?
Quote:
My intended ride would take me North of San Fran. up the Oregon coast.
I have been waiting for someone else to respond, but I will dive in.

The problem is that the weather is very unpredictable along the coast at that time of year. It can range from cool, rainy, and misty to sunny and glorious, but odds are more in favor of cool, overcast, and misty. Temperatures can range from the mid-40s to the high-60s. Even when it is sunny out, it is often breezy and cool. Sometimes it can get into the 70s or high 80s, which makes it even harder to pack appropriately.

Just for giggles, here are my bets for a typical week in late May or early June along the Northern California and Oregon Coasts:
2 days rain and showers. High 40s to mid 50s.
2 days heavy overcast with scattered showers. High 40s to mid 50s.
2 days mixed light overcast, broken clouds, sunshine and breezy. Low 50s to high 50s.
1 day sunny, but breezy all day. Mid 50s to high 60s.

... or swap any of the above for: 2 days sunny and unbelievably beautiful and warm. High 50s to high 70s. But don't count on it.

The further north you go, the more likely you will run into wetter, cooler, and more overcast weather.

Summary: Some years can be amazingly nice, and other years it seems as if the summer never comes at all.

I hope this helps.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2012, 8:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

PCH North

Thank you for the info on the road. I sounds very much like the Canadian Maritime provinces in June -Aug.... Their problem is Fog...With a capital F.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2012, 7:49 am
Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for the info on the road. I sounds very much like the Canadian Maritime provinces in June -Aug.... Their problem is Fog...With a capital F.
Yes, you may run into fog on your trip, too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Rookie

I live in the Willamette Valley and ride the Coast all the time. I agree weather is hard to predict. May is usually rainy, about every third day, like two dasy fo sun, three days of rain. June is usually good, but you can have a week of rain there too. Fog is always there if it is sunny, heat in the valley means fog on the coast.

I would go for it, a littel rain never hurt anyone and you won't melt. If it is too wet, turn inland, great roads all over Oregon.

2008 FLHT
2008 R1200RT
1985 K100 RT
1979 XS 650 Street tracker
Ridden everything,owned lots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode