Lake Superior Scenic Byway. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2012, 7:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Lake Superior Scenic Byway.

Is there anyone out there who has done that part of Great Lakes ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2012, 8:48 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
We have done this "ride" several times either as part of a Lake Superior circle tour, or going to Minneapolis the long way. (home is the lower pennisula of Michigan)

Each time we have booked motels along the circle tour route about every 180 miles.
a short day ride, but climbing waterfalls, checking out the indian pictoglifs, Ouimet canyon,Split Rock and other lighthouses, Amethyst mines, stopping for bear and moose etc. along the North shore of Lake Superior eats up a lot of the day. Scenery is lake shore and rugged mountains (ok 1000 ft hills) Lots of rocks, lots of water, lots of water flowing over rocks. A Beautiful ride, goods roads, curvy but not challenging.

Most of the time booking motels (or camp sites) is not needed, but my wife has higher standards for accommodations than I do

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2012, 8:55 pm
Enthusiast

Be sure you visit the Keweenaw Peninsula. Lake of the Clouds, Copper Harbor. Beautiful Place. I graduated from MTU and moved to CO, miss it already;

2007 Bmw k1200GT (My Vroom Bike)
1995 BMW k1100lt (Sold) (My mini-bus)
1998 BMW k1200rs Taxi (Sold) (Didn't get to say goodbye)
1986 BMW k100rt (My classic and first, Restore in Progress)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2012, 9:28 am
Addict

Cool

The Keweenaw is one of my most favorite places in the world.

I've done a couple mountain bike trips up there, starting in Lanse, into the keweenaw, down to the porcupine mountains and lake of the clouds, iron wood, etc.

if you go to Ft Wilkens up in Copper Harbor, turn right when you exit the gate, it goes north on a 2-track all the way to high rock bay, about 10 miles. we used mountain bikes and had to cross a beaver dam. its so quiet up there on superior looking across the lake it makes yer ears ring.

both coasts have something to offer. take brockway drive up and take a look at copper harbor on a nice day, it looks like some exotic place with a marina (for 2 months of the year LOL)...

don't miss lake of the clouds if you can help it.

you can't go too wrong in the U.P anywhere. I believe the U.P. has the most waterfalls anywhere in the USA , in the hundreds if I recall. enjoy..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:49 pm
Enthusiast

Lake Superior Circle route

I've done about 1/2 of it - Hiway 61 up the North Coast is beautiful. A worthwhile detour is Hiway 1 up to Ely, Minnesota and back - Chocolate Moose for lunch is highly recommended! Highway 1 is also listed on the US Motorcycle byways - lots of twisties, trees, lakes and moose.

Watch out for the Moose.

The Wisconsin side by the Apostle Islands is pretty - the UP - as others have mentioned is noted for great sweepers and nice road conditions.Also for quite a few pretty deserted towns.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode