Long weekend in Scotland - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2012, 3:30 am Thread Starter

Garage
Long weekend in Scotland

Well given we had tons of time to get up there, I set the cruise control on the K1200GT to 68mph on the motorway..... I'm not normally known for restraint but this time it resulted in 65mpg ....

I got 310 miles out of that tankfull

We stopped over at our usually stop in Glasgow, the Erskine Bridge Hotel, 27 for bed and breakfast, including use of the swimming pool and jacuzzi etc which is nice after a day in the saddle

Next day over towards Inveraray

and then up to the Corran Ferry

and a spot of lunch at the Ardgour Inn.

Then on the A861, gorgeous road, through Strontian which apparently gave its name to the element

Then up to Mallaig to get the ferry over to Skye through the endlessly gorgeous scenery and exquisite roads. My riding companion, Ian had to get fuel from a small village just off the main Mallaig road... 1.60 per litre .... ouch

Over Skye and its impressive bridge and through to Eilean Donan castle for the ubiquitous touristy photo.

From there onto the even quieter roads via Lochcarron to the start of the Applecross Pass.

It's a stunning place

With awesome views

but low cloud was an issue

Some midgies managed to get into my helmet vent while taking pics .... nasty little bastards

Then stopping over at the Applecross Inn for the night, and a gorgeous bowl of Mussels starter with a huge mixed seafood linguine main course washed down with a Chilean white ... yum!!! One of the waiteress's was from South Africa, turned out from not far from where I'd worked out there, small world I guess!

After a good nights kip and a HUGE breakfast the next morning it was on around the Wester Ross coastal trail. Again stunning views.... and had to wait for a couple of locals to clear the road

Looking back over to Applecross

Sadly I believe this is where the tragedy involving this weekends canoe drownings occured

Stopped at Kinlochewe at a little cafe mid morning for a fresh banana milk shake ... yum

Got into a crazy dice with a local in a Focus ST after Poolewe, had a real hard job keeping him in sight ... at one point his car was on three wheels around a corner!!! I really should grow up.

He turned off and normal bimbling recommenced well until we turned on the Ullapool road, that's a fast road

Had fish and chips from the excellent Seaforth and sat on the front to eat them

http://www.theseaforth.com/

Then back track to Loch Ness for the night at the gorgeous Loch Ness Inn. Excellent food although the breakfast was not as good as the Applecross Inn.

Next day stop to take a couple of pics of Urqhart Castle

The days riding was in glorious weather, down to Fort William, Oban and the A83 and back to Glasgow to the Erskine to over night before facing the challenging weather home today Awesome weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2012, 7:35 am
Addict

awesome

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2012, 1:11 am
Rookie

Wonderful
beautiful scenery
You look like the Fuzz
I was in the marine industry
OK on that still water even when you cross a wake But when you take the sea ferry say to Dunkirque or Timbuktoo, how do they restrain the bikes?
and can you switch to Lper 100km?
Wot sort of clothing brand do you choose in these tropical climes?

Best Rgds
Stuart

Last edited by stuarth44; Aug 29th, 2012 at 1:19 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2012, 1:55 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-ss
awesome
it takes a very good rider to keep up with a good car like a focus car on swevery, esp if the road is a bit damp, bumpy or whatever

Best Rgds
Stuart
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2012, 4:53 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth44
it takes a very good rider to keep up with a good car like a focus car on swevery, esp if the road is a bit damp, bumpy or whatever
This was the road, more rally type

http://tinyurl.com/9kw37bn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode