Long Island,NY-Freeport,TX - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2012, 4:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Long Island,NY-Freeport,TX

I bought a 2002 K1200RS on ebay and flew up to Long Island to pick it up and drive it back.
Started oct. 21st and got home late the 23rd. 2000 miles with beautiful weather all three days.
Didn't want to fight the traffic in D.C. so I drove through Pennsylvania to Port Royal for the north entrance of Skyline Drive. As there was only about an hour left of daylight I stayed in a local Taj Mahal (flees included) for the night.
Next morning I started on Skyline Drive. Very scenic and beautiful drive, but the 35mph speed limit sure detracted from the enjoyment. I'm no racer but it was way to slow even for me. Even fudging here and there.
Next came Blue Ridge Parkway. I enjoyed that a whole lot more. You wouldn't think 10mph increase in speed limit would make it so much more enjoyable. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the view and the curves. Unfortunately I had to get off at Roanoke to make better progress to be home next evening. Next time I'll start the Blue Ridge Parkway at the south end and make sure I have more time.
Made it to Nashville before my behind had enough. Would have liked to make it to the west side at night but I didn't want to get a ticket standing up on the pegs.
Next morning I don't think I was delayed more than 10-15minutes by traffic anyhow.
Between Memphis and Little Rock the wind was howling.
Strong and gusty crosswind that cut my mpg from 40 to 35. What amazed me is how stable the K1200 was. You could feel the gust but it didn't push you around. I've had two other BMW's,(air cooled), a Honda, a Kawasaki, a Triumph, a Buel, a Husquarna and none of them came close.
The other thing I really got to like is the cruise control. I don't think I'll buy another bike without it. On a bike like the K1200 next thing you know you are doing 90-100mph. Cruise will pay for itself in less tickets.
Arrived home around midnight with a sore butt and a new appreciation for the flying brick. Only thing I could wish for is a taller windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2012, 7:36 am
Rookie

You sure did hit some fantastic roads on your way home.
Best of luck to you with the new k bike..

09 K1300GT
06 K1200R (sold)
05 R1200GS (sold)
99 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode