Route suggestions from VA north to ME - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2013, 7:39 pm Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Route suggestions from VA north to ME

I am laying out a route from my home in AZ to Labrador where I and a buddy will take a lap on the Trans Labrador Hwy. Departure date is Aug 24 with a meet up with my buddy on Sept 1 somewhere in Maine (meeting spot is not yet established). I have gotten some suggestions on routing that has got me as far as Virginia and then the information is getting thin. I am looking for some local knowledge to get me through what is a mine field of big cities and clogged interstates. My schedule is somewhat tight going north so sightseeing really isn't a priority. Back roads, scenic byways and the like are high on my list of roads and throw in some twists and turns, well you get the idea. Can anyone give me some help of what roads to take and sometimes as important where not to journey?

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2013, 6:30 pm
Noob

Smile Blue Ridge Parkway

When you are in Virginia make sure you get on the Blue Ridge Parkway asap and go north. Speed limit is 45 but worth the ride - no stop signs just wonderful road. This takes you to Waynesboro, then extends onto the Shanandoah Skyline Drive to Front Royal. It is park road that is limited to 35 for the 150 miles but worth the trip. Mountain peak views for 4-5 hours.

When in Nova Scotia you will be riding on Cape Breton Island Cabot Trail to ferries. Best ride in the east coast. Take 104 north on way up and 105 when coming back. Watch for eagles when crossing the causeway to Port Hastings. Last time I was there I saw about 100 of them.

When in Labrador/NewFoundland plan on using your electric jackets. It will be cooler that time of year. Watch for moose early morning and dusk. Have rain gear easy to get to. Watch for radar but since you are not from there no points or record of velocity awards.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2013, 9:53 am Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Thanks for the Hwy 104/105 suggestions.

I plan on hitting some the parkways going but much will have to wait until I come south. I can't spend much time sniffing flowers on the northward segment. On the return my schedule is my own and I can dawdle along and do 35, well maybe I can. I have a terrible throttle control issue which just feeds into BMW's not doing well at slow speeds.

Thanks for your input.
D

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2013, 1:04 pm
Enthusiast

Virginia and points beyond

Hi Slowflyn,

Geez, I would get that throttle looked at first before embarking on a trip this long. What bike are you riding ? Highway is one thing, but when you come off the major roads and are looking for food and accommodation, and you're beat, and you're in unfamiliar territory, I would think I wouldn't want my bike acting up.

Movin' on, I would follow the advice of Bullpen. Just jump on I-81 to get you north rapidly. BRP will take a while. So I-81 north towards Harrisburg and Scranton. You want to stay well west of Washington, Philadelphia and New York City. So far, so good.
From Scranton, head east (on I-84?) towards I-87. And so far, all I've given you is interstates, but here's where you need to be creative, because only I-90 will take you to Maine the easy way. From Albany, New York, head east on #7 towards Bennington and #9 towards Brattleboro (stop at MAX's BMW first though, in Troy!!). Follow #9 east towards Concord. You didn't say where in Maine you're meeting, but if it's the south end, visit MAX's (again) in North Hampton, New Hampshire. Otherwise take a side trip to Mt. Washington. If not, then on the way back. It's a must do. It's farther up I-93 and just east of there. Take #112 from #93 towards Conway, even if you don't have time for the mountain.

If you're closer to the coast, relax along US 1 towards Portland.

There's plenty of options. I find the Interstate to be exhausting sometimes, especially with all those trucks.

If you have time and you need a break from riding, you could take the Yarmouth-Bar Harbour ferry. 6 hours, last time I was on it.

Let me know if you have any questions. Some of these K-bike forums are pretty quiet, but I'm willing to advise you where I can.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2013, 1:08 pm
Enthusiast

Yamouth - Bar Harbour ferry no longer

Huh. Looks like I'm well behind the times here. I don't think it would have fit into your agenda anyway.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2013, 7:24 pm Thread Starter
Telepathetic

dohalloran, Thanks for the suggestions and concern with the throttle wrist. I have had it examined by a number of LEO's over the years and the general opinion is not good.

I will take a look at some of the hwys you mentioned but unless I have a gun to my head the interstate is off the table. My problem is the back highways and byways are so prolific going north that I could spend a lifetime riding through that region. I do intend to stay away from large or even mid-size cities, I have seen enough of them and don't enjoy riding in those settings.

Thanks again.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2013, 10:54 pm
Enthusiast

Interstates and LEO's

Hi Darrel,

I was believing that you had a problem with the motorcycle, and my response to you did not indicate that I knew any better !!! I get it now. A little slow on the uptake here.

No Interstates. Hmm. Now that's where I really DID misunderstand. You're right. There's plenty of roads to choose from. I was under the impression that you needed
to make time going north.

Do you have a GPS ? Or, Microsoft Streets and Trips ? What I would do if you have MS S&T, is move those sliders on the preferred roads all the way across on one direction to avoid limited access highways . . . heck, I will try that myself and see what happens. I've never done that before.

I will get back to you. I will start around Roanoke, VA, and head for Portland, Maine.
It will probably have me travelling close to the big cities, but I will put in some stops on the way to divert that from happening.

I have a trip to New Hampshire planned for the middle of next month if not a bit sooner.
Need to look at some non-Interstate options too.

Stay tuned.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2013, 10:59 am Thread Starter
Telepathetic

No problem and thanks for taking an interest. Being a remedial student in my youth shows itself when I start writing. I do have S&T but don't find it particularly easy to use. Being a geezer I am sadly attached to paper maps with a GPS to make sure I get really lost. I took yesterday off from map reading and picked up my GS after having all the fluids flushed and a general inspection, she is good to go. I'll get fresh tires in two weeks and leave the week after. I am so ready to stop planning and just go.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2013, 12:17 pm
Enthusiast

sideroads , Interstates, etc.

Darrell,

I mapped out from west of Virginia up to just south of Portland, Maine.

I could send you the file, but the route is very tedious. Even if you set the sliders all the way left to "dislike" Interstates (and toll roads!!), it will still put you on them for 20 or 30 mile stretches.

It was exhausting just to LOOK at all the twists and turns it gave me. And if you're pressed for time. . .

You can try this yourself. I guess the next big evil is big cities. Totally agree there. Especially the ones with 295's and 495's (ring roads, so to speak).

Hope it all goes well.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 6:11 pm Thread Starter
Telepathetic

dohalloran,

Thanks for the offer and the time you spent. I have finally got a route sorted out. Someone that my riding partner knows came through with lots of suggestions and it will only add one day to the travel time, so I'm pleased with what I got. I'm having to move up my scheduled departure and lucky for me the wife is only happy to wave bye bye. I really want to spend a few days exploring Newfoudland as it is unlikely I will get back there again.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode