Crashed my RS today - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:26 pm Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:07 am
Addict

Wow, sorry to hear that, Mark!

Glad to hear you weren't hurt worse; nice to hear about all the helpful people. Your attitude sounds really great! The important thing is no permanent damage to you, and the bike has insurance... right?

Heal well!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Carlton
Wow, sorry to hear that, Mark!

Glad to hear you weren't hurt worse; nice to hear about all the helpful people. Your attitude sounds really great! The important thing is no permanent damage to you, and the bike has insurance... right?

Heal well!
yes to insurance, the adjuster will be looking at the bike on Monday

Mark

'03 K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:42 am
Enthusiast

Ok Mark, since you won't be getting a normal sleep tonight...

I think you should opt for that comfy recliner, pitcher of ice water by your chair and feet elevated. Warm blanket and a pillow and you're set (remote and phone within easy reach). Bring a bucket to pee in to save those up-down trips to the bathroom. Take your pain meds. Better to be gorked a little while than no sleep at all.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 2:05 am
Just saying hey

Get well soon

Mark
Take it easy and get well soon . The rest is all replaceable. May be time when you are up and mobile again to seek some further training. Im not sure what is available your side of the pond.
Good to hear good help was available when you needed it most.
Frank
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 9:00 am Thread Starter

additional training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Codger
...May be time when you are up and mobile again to seek some further training. Im not sure what is available your side of the pond...
I agree, even though I've been riding for years, as soon as I'm mobile again, I'm going to take one of those courses. I want to find out what other stupid things I like to do, the easy way this time.

Mark

'03 K1200RS
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Mark,
Sad to hear about your day. I just avoided a nearly identical experience on Friday. I was heading to work and running late, this added by a likewise blind road. As I was turning, I hit the gas and felt the tire spin, as I felt this, I let off and it came back under me, the feeling of remaining upright was both adrenoline, fear, suprise, and relief all at the same time. I was very lucky and thankful. I have put power to it in a corner several times before but not with cold tires.

I wish you the best in your surgery, speedy recovery, and quick/cheap repairs to the bike!

Kyle
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2006, 9:55 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Two of us in one week!

Mark,

So sorry to hear about your crash. It sounds like you're going to be OK and that's the important part. What a coincidence that you and I should both crash in right handers in the same week, with no one to blame but ourselves! In my case, I rolled away without harm or a scratch on my body, so my event pales into insignificance next to yours.

Get well soon. Maybe a new K1200S is in your future??!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:16 am
Veteran

Mark: Glad you're pretty much OK. Rest, take it easy, recover, and PT is a good thing! Seems that there are quite a few mishaps that occur on cold tires in the winter, close to home, on a turn. Maybe we can all learn somthing from these incidents. I for one am really carefull when the temps are below 40, and I've just started out. I figure that I need at least 15 minutes of riding at speed before my tires are are up to temp...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:23 am
Enthusiast

Mark,
Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like your attitude is good. I commend you on your smart decision to deal with temporary pain to keep from having to replace all your gear.

Thanks for posting. A little analysis as a learning experience for us all I'll guess that when you spun out your rear wheel went wide. When you let off the throttle it hooked back up but now the rear wheel and front wheel weren't pointed the same direction resulting in the classic high side where the bike leaning one way quickly straightens up and throws the rider onto the ground and then slams itself into the ground.

When this happens during braking it is generally recommended that you keep the rear wheel locked so it won't hook back up. I don't know what the proper procedure is to prevent this under acceleration--perhaps not countersteering before you hook back up?

Hang in there. At least you're missing riding during the winter months. Much better than during the summer.

--Jerry

95 R1100RS
00 K1200RS

Living with OAD, one day at a time...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode