Warning for bikers going to Italy - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Warning for bikers going to Italy

Hi all,

A warning for all bikers who plan to go to Italy this year. In Italy a new law has come in existence and it concerns all bikers riding there. When riding in Italy you have to wear a helmet that is ECE approved. No news, you have to have those in most European countries. What is new is a law that has as a purpose to stop thieves (purse snatchers). These thieves usually pass close to a pedestrian an snatch the portable computer or the purse away while riding a scooter or light motorcycle.
It is now forbidden to let go of the handle bars with one or two hands while riding. This seems silly, but the first bikers have been stopped and the penalty is that you can leave your bike right there on the spot. It is possible to get it back after 30 days - but if you are a foreigner that may prove difficult. There already have been fights between groups of bikers and the police, when the police tried to use this law. The law may have had a very good intention - but it backfires if you can be punished for lifting your visor if it fogs over. Because it is depending on the mood of the policeman it may grow in to a big problem. If you intend to go there: beautiful roads, mountains, bikes - but you're warned!

regards, Frits.

If you can laugh at your own stupidities, you have fun all year round!
BMW K1 '91 for sports, BMW K1200RS '03 for touring, Honda CB750K '80 for winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 2:59 pm
Enthusiast

Brilliant! As if that will stop the bag guys! I can see it now.... I'm about to snatch the purse of a woman walking nearby, but WAIT!.... The law says I cannot take my hands off the bars while riding! Better not snatch that purse, then. They might fine me for riding one handed as I snatch the purse.

What a completely useless law!

Bob.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:04 pm

What happens when I take my throttle hand and shake the tinglies out of it? What about when my nutsack is all itchy and sweaty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2006, 6:40 pm
Just saying hey

Quote:
What happens when I take my throttle hand and shake the tinglies out of it? What about when my nutsack is all itchy and sweaty?
Well, depends, do you prefer itchy nutsack or no bike for 30days? :o

Awdnut
06 K1200R
03 VRod
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2006, 8:16 am
Addict

So what happens if my pillion is the bag snatcher - or he's holding an Ouzzi??

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2006, 8:36 am
Addict

Well, I hoped that the existence of that damn bananas' laws didn't got known outside our borders, but... damn.

Yes, it is a stupid law. Yes, it gives any cop a valid pretext to take away your bike forever . But let's put things in perspective: it just doesn't *really* happen. Here's a case in which our "common sense" (ahem...) in applying the laws is actually positive.

The "instant impounding" is the penalty for some "malpractices" such as wheelies, dragracing on public roads, wearing non-regular helmets and even stupid ones, like pulling a hand away from the bars. Do you really risk to have your bike impounded for that? Not really, unless you're riding like a madman in a high-theft, heavy-traffic, high-accident rate city like Rome, Naples or such. Believe me, as long as you ride with a minimum of common sense in the big cities, there won't be any problem.

I still do ride single-handed and no cop has ever pulled me over - the law has been valid since august. FIM (the Italian Motorcycling Association) is fighting against the darn law (gee, many thanks, mr. Berlusconi...), but it's election time and I guess we'll have to wait until April to see it abrogated.

Edoardo Licciardello

To drive is human
to ride divine
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2006, 9:45 am
Addict

What do they do in Italy with cage drivers driving one handed with a cell in one ear? Be good if we had a Europe Law to impound the car at the roadside.

Actually read the other day that the speed cameras snapping happy motorists are going to snap them on their cells and no doubt text their fines - so that should be good. Unless they are Italian foreign drivers in UK, when they won't receive the fines at all.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:08 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
What do they do in Italy with cage drivers driving one handed with a cell in one ear? Be good if we had a Europe Law to impound the car at the roadside.
5 points off the license (you start with 10) and a fine ranging from 51.65 to 170 Euros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Actually read the other day that the speed cameras snapping happy motorists are going to snap them on their cells and no doubt text their fines - so that should be good. Unless they are Italian foreign drivers in UK, when they won't receive the fines at all.
Fines are now transmitted all throughout Europe, AFAIK. Not sure if the UK adheres to that agreement.

Edoardo Licciardello

To drive is human
to ride divine
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:15 am
Addict

We have that agreement, but presently UK Law requires details of an offence and a fine notice to be 'served' within a certain period with right of appeal etc etc, most of which is taken up with getting foreign driver records name & address confirmed. It's easier, cheaper and raises more money to nail the UK drivers. Then we want the fines in UKú not Euros which adds a further layer of admin!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2006, 5:21 pm
dec

Thumbs up

Glad I live in the U.S. and not have to worry about these type laws!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode