Motocross experience comes in handy... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 10:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Motocross experience comes in handy...

The other day I come around a curve... rather tight curve... almost a horse shoe.

Just out of sight from entering the curve there is a pile of big dry slippery as hell oleander leaves blow out there by some idiot gardeners.

I was not going very fast, but ended up doing a two wheel drift.

Two things saved me. First I had shifted my weight, both hips and shoulders, despite not really needing to for the speed I was at. Second I had dropped gear, even though I did not really need to as the K1200gt pulls nicely even at 2,000 rpm to come out of a curve when driving on the slow side.

So I pointed the front wheel in the direction I was drifting and opened up the throttle just enough to avoid the bike high siding when it grabbed the asphalt again. As soon as I felt it bight I opened up the throttle and doing a little burn out I reengaged grip to the road without getting flipped high side.

So all that drifting on track and asphalt lots with my dirt bikes paid off.

That said I don't ever what to play this sort of game with a K1200GT.

I pulled over right away and charged over to the idiot gardeners ..... I felt like slugging on on the back of the head, but did not need to... he run ff and slipped on the very same leaves landing flat on his ass.

TIP OF THE DAY.

On twisty roads, even if you are riding moderately slow shift your weight, both hips and shoulder. It's good for your back and it will give you an extra safety margin if there are surprises around the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode