Road Rashed KRS, need advice - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 7:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy Road Rashed KRS, need advice

Had a painful evening last night. A mix of some rain, a corner, and a little too much throttle after the corner, and the KRS was sliding on blacktop on her right side. I only got a slight abrasion on my leg and a seriously bruised ego, but the bike got it quite a bit worse. I'm happy to be unhurt, yes, but my poor baby is messed up. Not a happy occasion for my first post to the new site.

The inventory:
  • Main fairing pretty badly scratched, including K12 decal.
  • Bottom black spoiler fairly badly scraped up.
  • Corner of upper fairing slightly tagged on outside edge.
  • Broken mirror, glass popped out (too bad, noticed later that mirror housing is almost perfect otherwise).
  • Front brake lever snapped off halfway.
  • Heated handgrip end badly shredded, cap gone and wiring exposed.
  • Brake pedal bent, almost broken.
  • Both footpegs scraped on underneath.
  • Front footpeg plate scraped where the footpeg attaches, exposed when the footpeg flipped up.
The sparks were impressive, in a horrible way.

I've never dropped a bike like this, the last time I dropped one was many years ago and I didn't even care enough about the bike to fix it. I have insurance with a $500 deductible, but I really don't want to use it because I don't want years of raised rates (that are already too high). I mainly carry the insurance for a totaled bike. This seems "on the edge" to me. I got the cost of replacement parts from an OEM dealer (www.bikebandit.com) and it's $1200 for the main fairing, $450 for the upper panel (which seems too low to be true, since other places list it for ~$800). Everything else comes to about $715 if I get new pegs from Pirate's instead of OEM.

My thought now is to buy all the parts except for the upper fairing, and replace them myself. Then get the upper fairing painted (somewhere), then get it checked at the dealer or a local mechanic. My gearhead abilities are pretty much limited to minor maintenance like brakes or oil changes.

Here's my first questions:
  • Is re-painting a viable option for the main fairing? I would be seriously concerned about color matching, since it's a zebra. Obviously I'd still need to buy some decals, too. (see attached pic)
  • Along the same lines, how about painting the nicked corner on the upper fairing? It's in the blue section (pic 2). Seems like it wouldn't be hard, expect for a color match.
  • How would you go about find a suitable paint shop that can deal with a bike like this?
  • When you buy a pre-painted OEM fairing in the correct colors, are the decals already applied/included?
  • Is it possible/difficult to remove a BMW badge from an existing fairing and apply it to a new one?
  • I'm getting a "break failure" hazard light is flashing at 1Hz (ABS failure), even after it's started up. Any ideas why this would occur? Damage to the sensor where the pedal or handgrip is bent? I can't see any visual damage other than the pedals themselves.
  • Any "gotchas" that I might hit if I replace these parts myself?
Any advice or other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Lane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	krs_body_panel1.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	2040   Click image for larger version

Name:	krs_body_upper1.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	2041   Click image for larger version

Name:	krs_damage_report1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	2042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 7:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I just realized I should have probably posted this in the tech section. D'oh! I'm still a bit addled...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 9:16 pm
Veteran

repairs

My bike was an insurance write off, but I did not drop it. I am happy with a new bike (which would have cost me a grand change over) and the new owner of my old bike is happy as he has repaired it for chicken shit.

He took my advice and used fibre glass repair, for the fairing and bought parts from a wrecker for a small amount. Had a professional do the painting.

But my ride partner dropped his K, cosmetic damage done, so he thought, till he had the frame checked. Bad news there, but repairable in a jig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:39 am

That sucks!

My two cents, I would take advantage of this and personalize your bike. Go to a reputable paintshop they will tell you if they can repair the panels and get a total paint job. I have yet to see a dark green K1200. The green on the Triumph 955i Daytona would be sweet!

Eric
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:01 am
Veteran

Sent you a PM.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2006, 1:14 pm
Veteran

bad day for KRS's

Awk... I went down yesterday as well! The good thing is that both myself and my passenger were unhurt (a decent amount of bruises and aches, which is expected) - gotta love motrin!

Someone must have been watching the both of us since both of us were unscathed! Although, I still have to muster the strength to inventory my loss. Hopfully, tonight I'll post the details and pictures.

I do have one thing to say, I'm glad to be alive today! As I look back it could have been much worse for us!

Glad we are alive to today to ride another day!

ONON-
Mark

Speed Safe Ya'll

'03 K12RS Black
'04 K12RS Zebra - R.I.P.
'81 R100S
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2006, 2:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ouch, it's that time of the year I guess.

Yeah, I agree, I do feel lucky to be unscathed. It could easily have been worse if the conditions have been different. I'm really glad I had my gear on, too. That ground is plenty hard. Glad to hear you and your pillion made it through OK, too. Not fun!

I've decided to go ahead and take it to the dealer and have them look it over. Ride West is only about 5 blocks from my house. At least they can tell if anything is wrong beyond the cosmetic and I'm curious what they would suggest. Probably just to buy all new parts!

A new paint job is interesting, I had wondered about that. I've never done anything like that before. Any ideas about ballpark costs for a complete repaint from someone that has done it? Obviously it would depend on the shop and the paint, but I've never had a bike done, so I have no idea.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2006, 3:05 pm

Sorry to hear about both Zebra get-offs! I'm with Eric though, since it doesn't look like your panels are cracked and busted, you could probably have them smoothed, sanded and get a nice custom paint job out of it for the same or less cost than new panels. The dealer is most likely gonna suggest new panels, but I bet you know that already. I hope everything mechanical checks out alright at the dealer though and g'luck on the repairs.

Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2006, 3:57 pm
Maladroit

One thing to look at closely is if the motor ran while it was sliding on its side.
There have been a few cases of thrown rods that resulted from oil starvation
because the engine stayed running while the bike was laid over. Wet sump
designs will not pump oil if the bike is not vertical.

If you aren't sure, push to get the bike totalled otherwise you may need
a new motor a few months down the road and they aren't cheap or readily available.

HTH!

Eric
Austin
r12gs,k12s
Waste some time watching my videos at google or youtube
"I hate every bone in your body, except mine" -Willie Nelson
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLane
Ouch, it's that time of the year I guess.

A new paint job is interesting, I had wondered about that. I've never done anything like that before. Any ideas about ballpark costs for a complete repaint from someone that has done it? Obviously it would depend on the shop and the paint, but I've never had a bike done, so I have no idea.
I would think between 1000$ & 1500$ and you would have an exlusive bike. I believe someone just had a paint job done on a KS, if I recall it was 1250$

If you go down that route make sure to post pictures.

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode