Had a painful evening last night. A mix of some rain, a corner, and a little too much throttle after the corner, and the KRS was sliding on blacktop on her right side. I only got a slight abrasion on my leg and a seriously bruised ego, but the bike got it quite a bit worse. I'm happy to be unhurt, yes, but my poor baby is messed up. Not a happy occasion for my first post to the new site.
- Main fairing pretty badly scratched, including K12 decal.
- Bottom black spoiler fairly badly scraped up.
- Corner of upper fairing slightly tagged on outside edge.
- Broken mirror, glass popped out (too bad, noticed later that mirror housing is almost perfect otherwise).
- Front brake lever snapped off halfway.
- Heated handgrip end badly shredded, cap gone and wiring exposed.
- Brake pedal bent, almost broken.
- Both footpegs scraped on underneath.
- Front footpeg plate scraped where the footpeg attaches, exposed when the footpeg flipped up.
The sparks were impressive, in a horrible way.
I've never dropped a bike like this, the last time I dropped one was many years ago and I didn't even care enough about the bike to fix it. I have insurance with a $500 deductible, but I really don't want to use it because I don't want years of raised rates (that are already too high). I mainly carry the insurance for a totaled bike. This seems "on the edge" to me. I got the cost of replacement parts from an OEM dealer (www.bikebandit.com
) and it's $1200 for the main fairing, $450 for the upper panel (which seems too low to be true, since other places list it for ~$800). Everything else comes to about $715 if I get new pegs from Pirate's instead of OEM.
My thought now is to buy all the parts except for the upper fairing, and replace them myself. Then get the upper fairing painted (somewhere), then get it checked at the dealer or a local mechanic. My gearhead abilities are pretty much limited to minor maintenance like brakes or oil changes.
Here's my first questions:
- Is re-painting a viable option for the main fairing? I would be seriously concerned about color matching, since it's a zebra. Obviously I'd still need to buy some decals, too. (see attached pic)
- Along the same lines, how about painting the nicked corner on the upper fairing? It's in the blue section (pic 2). Seems like it wouldn't be hard, expect for a color match.
- How would you go about find a suitable paint shop that can deal with a bike like this?
- When you buy a pre-painted OEM fairing in the correct colors, are the decals already applied/included?
- Is it possible/difficult to remove a BMW badge from an existing fairing and apply it to a new one?
- I'm getting a "break failure" hazard light is flashing at 1Hz (ABS failure), even after it's started up. Any ideas why this would occur? Damage to the sensor where the pedal or handgrip is bent? I can't see any visual damage other than the pedals themselves.
- Any "gotchas" that I might hit if I replace these parts myself?
Any advice or other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.