USA, West to East, need help
Hi, I'm planning a trip from San Jose back to NJ via the Northern route, stops including Yosemite or PCH (haven't decided which yet), Boise, Yellowstone, Little Bighorn, The Badlands, Black Hills (Rushmore & Deadwood), Ft. Leonardwood (Missouri, the Southernmost stop on the trip), Chicago, Milwaukee, ferry across Lake Michigan, Canton-Columbus-Pickerington, Pittsburgh, Gettysburg, and finally back home.
The problem is getting my bike out there in the first place. A friend of mine is moving to San Jose which is the whole reason for the trip out West in the first place, but he's now renting a car (we were going to originally take his truck, but his soon to be ex-wife has decided to keep it instead of letting him take it) so I can't tow as I was planning because rental cars don't come with and don't allow tow-hitches. Nobody that I can find is willing to rent a cargo van or pickup for a one-way cross-country trip, and the price of a UHaul is outrageous $1,500 + lots of gas, etc.... The cost of shipping the bike is close to $1,200 (I shopped around, but the fuel surcharges and residential delivery charges are a killer for any of the major vendors) and they can't really guarantee that I'll have the bike delivered by the time that I need it, which means that I'll be stuck in Cali over the 4th of July.
I think that I've covered all of the bases, but can anyone make a suggestion for a way to get the bike out there that I haven't yet considered? Right now I'm planning to either scrap the trip or spend the money and have a hitch installed on a rental car in violation of the rental agreement and take my chances that after I remove the hitch and wiring harness they won't notice that it was ever there when I return the vehicle.
Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
p.s. We're planning on starting our trip out West late in the day on the 29th, and I was planning to start my return journey back East on or about the 3rd of July, although that's flexible by a couple of days. I can even push back the departure by a day or so if absolutely necessary.
Last edited by kl3640; Jun 23rd, 2006 at 2:12 pm.