September '06 SoCal to Co and back - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2006, 6:24 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

September '06 SoCal to Co and back

I'm going on a solo ride from Anaheim California to Castle Rock Colorado to visit my daughter for three days and return. If anyone wants to join me on either leg, let me know. It's always safer with two.

I'm leaving Anaheim Hills early Friday morning September 15th. I'll be taking the CA-91 East to the I-15 North, to the I-40 East, and hopefully end up in Gallup New Mexico the first evening. The next morning will be I-40 East to I-25 North through Colorado.

Coming back on Thursday the 21st. Route of flight is unplanned. Possibly I-70 West through Utah/Nevada to the I-15 South.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2006, 8:13 pm
Veteran

Chuck

I went to Highlands Ranch a couple of years ago and used #89/#160, Flagstaff to Cortez. No gas on #89, but fuel at every intersection (about 40mi.)thru the rez. on #160. Then #160- #285 into the I-470 loop. Just a little different than the slab, if you have the time.

I believe that the I-15/I-70 route is quite a bit shorter, if you need to save time.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Jul 15th, 2006 at 8:44 pm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2006, 1:39 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Bruce,

Thanks, I'll look up the route you were talking about. My daughter wanted me to take the southern route because she wants me to see some of the country in southern Colorado on my way up. I'm not sure where or what... she hasn't sent me a specific route yet, but that's the reason for the southern route. I believe you're right about I-15/I-70 being shorter. That's the reason I'll be taking that route back down from Colorado.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2006, 8:16 am
Veteran

Chuck

When your daughter sends you a route you will be able to firm up your plans.

If you go the route you stated. Gallup, NM is 593mi. and 9hrs.(I hit I-10 in Banning) from my house, tack on another 50mi. and 1hr. from Anaheim

Make www.weather.com your best resource.

Start your travel as early in the morning as you can.

Just a tip: I-40 is dull and there ain't nothing out there. I-25 in New Mexico is a little better. Southern Colorado around Trinidad and actually starting in Raton, NM is real nice. After Pueblo and Colorado Springs it starts to get congested on I-25.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:26 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Just a tip: I-40 is dull and there ain't nothing out there.
Which makes me think it will be as fast as the shorter route through Nevada/Utah...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 5:38 pm
Veteran

another possibility

If you are heading all the way over to gallup, I would make a push to santa fe or albuquerque (you might thick about trying for an iron butt). Head north on the 285 and cruise through the Jemez mountains, cross over to Taos, then up towards Breckenridge. Not sure where in CO you need to head, but it most of southern CO are green farm lands.

I think you should go through NV/UT and cruise the National Arches.

ONON-
mark

Speed Safe Ya'll

'03 K12RS Black
'04 K12RS Zebra - R.I.P.
'81 R100S
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
Not sure where in CO you need to head, but it most of southern CO are green farm lands.ONON
mark
Mark,
I took this picture in southern CO Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cin.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2961  

Jeff
K12RS Taxi
K1
R1150GS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:10 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

You guys with your GS's make me envious. All during my growing up years, a motorcycle was an all terrain vehicle. Now that I have an RS, as much as I like it, I feel limited whenever I see a promising-looking dirt road.

A GS is not in the cards for me, though, even if I had the money. That's a TALL bike! I'd be OK as long as I didn't have to stop, but then, I'd be in DEEP kimshi.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:52 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
I'm leaving Anaheim Hills early Friday morning September 15th. I'll be taking the CA-91 East to the I-15 North, to the I-40 East, and hopefully end up in Gallup New Mexico the first evening. The next morning will be I-40 East to I-25 North through Colorado.

Coming back on Thursday the 21st. Route of flight is unplanned. Possibly I-70 West through Utah/Nevada to the I-15 South.
Jeez, why couldn't you have waited until next May?

I had planned to head out to CO (CO Springs) myself this Sept, but it seems that a project put out for bid by some firm has been landed by the company I work for and I'm supposed to start on it in.....wait for it......September. Arghh. As a result, I have been forced to push my vacation forward to spring 2007.

The only hitch is that my plan was to stretch the trip out over 2 - 2 1/2 weeks, so that would probably not have been compatible with your timeframe. Oh well. I hope your upcoming trip turns out to be an especially good and uneventful one.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Last edited by carnadero; Jul 20th, 2006 at 12:56 am. Reason: Reworded...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode