Need advice for SW Utah trip timing? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:36 am Thread Starter
RRG

Need advice for SW Utah trip timing?

I am planning to take my wife on a week trip thru Utah next year. Arches, Bryce, Zion etc. We will fly and rent a bike out of either Las Vegas or Salt Lake City. She is a teacher, so our trip must be between early June and early August. Does anyone living in the area have a recommendation for the time of year and why. I assume it will be hot the entire time, but is rain more frequent at certain times? Is it hotter at certain times? Is there a time that is less crowded?

RRG
98' Red Checkered

Last edited by RRG; Jul 17th, 2006 at 10:42 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:40 am
Veteran

Sept. 15 -30 is the Best time. Try to go as late as possible it can be very warm. I love that area.

James...

A little bit off plumb
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:31 am
Statmaster

We just did a trip through southern
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRG
I am planning to take my wife on a week trip thru Utah next year. Arches, Bryce, Zion etc. We will fly and rent a bike out of either Las Vegas or Salt Lake City. She is a teacher, so our trip must be between early June and early August. Does anyone living in the area have a recommendation for the time of year and why. I assume it will be hot the entire time, but is rain more frequent at certain times? Is it hotter at certain times? Is there a time that is less crowded?
We just finished a nice weeklong 4000 mile tour of NM, AZ, UT, and CO. We started in Texas, and if we exclude Texas from our stats, here's what we saw weatherwise:

Hottest Temp: 94 (between Flagstaff and Page, AZ)
Coldest Temp: 42 (over Cedar Breaks in Utah)
Temp on the Clifton/Alpine Run: 47 low, 86 high
Temp on the Eager/Payson/Flagstaff Run: 68 low, 92 high
Temp on the Flagstaff/Page Run: 76 low, 94 high
Temp on the Page/Torrey Run: 42 low, 84 high
Temp on the Torrey/Paonia Run: 56 low, 92 high

Not bad for being in 2 of the "perceived" hottest states in July.

I've attached some Google Earth views of some parts of our route. I'll try to finish my trip report with pictures tonight or tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2941   Click image for larger version

Name:	route2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2942   Click image for larger version

Name:	route3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2943   Click image for larger version

Name:	route4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	2944   Click image for larger version

Name:	route5.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	2945  

Click image for larger version

Name:	route6.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2946  

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:37 pm
Noob

I just returned from a one-week vacation in Southern Utah June 28th to July 7th. We stayed in a Snow-Ski resort in Brian Head Utah (10,400 feet). When we flew into Las Vegas, the temperature was 117 degrees by 1noon, the ski resort condo at our 9:00 PM arrival time was 50 degrees. Was typically high 70s during the day.

Page was in the 90s, Kanab 90s and the Grand Canyon North Rim was around 80 with rain in the morning, sun the afternoon. Rain blew through nearly everyday in the mountains, sunny most days 10 mile south in the National Parks. We drove a van 1, 400 miles on trips to Zion, Page/Lake Powell, and the Grand Canyon North Rim.

Definitely look into staying at the lodge on the North Rim (requires 6-month to 12-month advance booking). I rented a Harley from a dealer north of St. George and ended up returning it early because the temperature hit 105 degrees took the fun out.

I also plan to go out next year for an on-week trip and rent a motorcycles (in September), the roads and scenery are fantastic.

1964 Honda CL72 250
1968 Honda Z50
1989 Yamaha 4-Wheeler
1991 Honda CR 125
2001 Honda CR 250
2001 Honda VFR
2003 BMW GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:53 am

September is the best month, temps are moderate and the colors are fantastic. Barring that, early to mid June would be better than July or August. Be prepared for a wide range of temperatures as you will be experiencing elevations that can vary by several thousand feet on a day ride, and the high desert can get very cold at night. Make arrangements to carry water with you on the bike and enjoy the ride!

Best,

GTRider
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 2:46 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRG
She is a teacher, so our trip must be between early June and early August.
Seems to me that the earlier you go the better. As the summer wears on, the heat builds and the monsoon will come into play. If you wait until August, the chances for inclement weather or extreme heat is probably greater.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:46 pm

FYI regarding the North Rim Lodge. I called the Lodge directly last summer and booked a room with 30 days notice. Maybe I was lucky or I wondered if the direct call helped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode