Portland in two days - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:02 pm Thread Starter

Portland in two days

Left Albuq and took the back roads all the way to Saltlake City and made it across into Idaho on my first day. The next morning, I did take Interstate 84 all the way to Boise since there really is no other way worth going. I went all the way to Vale, Oregon and stopped for lunch. I took Oregon State Hwy 26 all the way into Mt Hood National Forest. I arrived in Sandy, Oregon at around 4pm. My friends were still working at their job and couldnt believe that I was already there. A few days spent on a family farm was more than I could take. I did manage to get some rest though. I managed to get an early start back to Albuq....this time via Santa Barbara, California. I was on the road by 4 am. Again not wanting to take the superslab all the way down the west coast..I opted for Hwy 101 down the Oregon coastline into Northern California. Very nice views! I was started to freeze my ass off in the middle of August...it's a good thing I took my electric vest! Hwy 101 past Eureka, CA is a blast.It goes thru the fabled redwood forest! Wow. I made it all the way to Cloverdale, CA....which is in the Sonoma Valley...wine country! I stayed at an agreeable hotel and took a Jacuzzi. The next morning I got another early start(big surprise huh) and missed most of rush hour going thru San Fransisco ....across the golden gate bridge(there is a $5.00 toll) and then I found my onto the fabled Hwy 1 ....otherwise known as pacific coast hiway. A quick stop in Monterey for gas and once past Carmel....man....what a ride! The views are breathtaking...all the while I'm trying to sport ride this hiway and so most of my attention is on the road. Next time I will slowdown and stop more on this section. Also..due to my aggressive riding..I almost ran out of gas somewhere between Big Sur and San simeon. Luckily I came to a whale watching place with a restuarant and gas pump. Whew....$4.25 a gallon! I purchase what I thought I needed to make it back to civilization and kept moving. Finally...Moro Bay and then San Luis Obispo! I stopped at a taco stand near Cal Poly State University. There...while eating tacos....a young female college co-ed pulled up and placed her order for tacos. She looked at me and my bike and we struck up a conversation. Her name was Heather and She was from Fresno. Needless to say, Heather had very nice breasts and I told her a few stories of my old college days. Her order finally came up and at that point, I thought our good conversation would be coming to an end, and it did. We said our goodbyes and I rode off wanting to kick my self in the ass for not asking her out for drinks. Anyway, I made it all the way to Santa Barbara on that day and was pretty darn tired from all of the rapid sport touring. I found a motel and crashed thinking of what could have been with Heather. The next morning I made my way over to I-40 by way of Edwards Air Force Base and made it all the way to Holbrook, Arizona. I got some good rest and got up early to try and make it home by lunchtime. I got on I-40 again...this time towards the state line with New Mexico...there was a construction zone. Traffic was sorta stackeup and merging into one lane. My bike was getting hot so I decided to take the emergency lane and pass everyone that I could. Then I got in behind a truck and we started moving faster approaching two lanes again. However...there were these orange cones on the road still and I was trying to pass this truck and hit the open road again. The trucker decided to make it a race...with him on the right and the orange cones on my left. I geared down to 3rd to make the pass...he started coming over on me and was attempting to squeeze me between himself and the cones. I made the pass but didint realize those cones are filled with water and I hit one at about 80mph and it sheared off my left footpeg and gave my fukkin foot quite a wack! I just had taken some pain killers back in Holbrook but it felt right away like I broke my foot. I rode that baby into New Mexico on the passenger pegs! I stopped to evaluate my foot and the peg situation. I even thought about taking the passenger peg off and mount it in place of the misssing peg. After a few more minutes...I said fuk it and rode that baby on into Albuq on the passenger pegs laying down on the tank at speeds of 100-140mph. At some point...I started catching up to a state trooper and he was cruising at 100mph. I would stay back about a mile behind him and he would speed up and then I would close the gap on him.....he probably thought I was an RTP. Anyway...I followed him into Albuq cruising at triple digit speeds almost the whole way. Thats my ride tale. Sorry, I'm not really into taking pictures. I'm also not sure of how many miles the trip was, maybe 5000 miles, but I made it in 5 and a half days riding time!

Last edited by TheMechanic; Jul 26th, 2006 at 5:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode